Author Topic: Delicous spread for bread.....  (Read 21165 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Delicous spread for bread.....
« Reply #30 on: Apr 21, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Ugh. My Mom used to grind up bologna with mayo and celery and call it "ham salad" when I was a kid  :sick:

That is bringing back some bad memories...
yes,my mom ground bologna added mayo and pickle relish and called it bologna sandwich spread.yuck!i also remember her tuna melts.something about oven hot tunafish,mayo and cheese on toast turns my stomach to this day.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #31 on: Apr 21, 2021, 01:07 PM »
yes,my mom ground bologna added mayo and pickle relish and called it bologna sandwich spread.yuck!i also remember her tuna melts.something about oven hot tunafish,mayo and cheese on toast turns my stomach to this day.

Aw gawd.....didja haveta remind me???!  :sick: I agree!  She ever make "pink salmon casserole"?!
Canned salmon, and the worst canned vegetable in the world, watery pale canned green peas, noodles, and I have no idea what was mixed in that held it together. Prolly mayo and something else.
She'd brown it in the oven then a big plop of it on yer plate.....it came right back up looking just the same.

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Apr 21, 2021, 02:45 PM »
No.but she did make those pink salmon patties out of  the can with those weird chalky pieces of spine that was left in the can.not all that bad but those bones..ugh.she made a version similar to your casserole but used tunafish and peas instead of pink salmon.funny thing is you either ate it or starved unlike kids of today.my olady sometimes makes two separate entrees because the kid doesn't like what we are having.makes me angry.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Apr 21, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Yup. Had to stay at the table until ya ate it or went hungry. I remember I went to bed pretty hungry one nite becuz I sat there for at least an hour after everyone was done because I wouldn't eat the slimy green spinach in a bowl with cider vinegar over it. Looked like someone had scraped wet grass off bottom of a lawnmower then peed on it. Stoopid dog wouldn't eat it either.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Apr 22, 2021, 05:56 AM »
This thread is suddenly giving me PTSD  :roflmao:

We never did canned salmon, but there were lots of other questionable canned meat dishes...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Apr 22, 2021, 07:54 AM »
This thread is suddenly giving me PTSD  :roflmao:

We never did canned salmon, but there were lots of other questionable canned meat dishes...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Apr 22, 2021, 09:18 AM »
Another one my Mom had...was this *EXPLETIVE* crap......on crackers with celery?!!! Ahhh gawd......
No wonder we grew up rebellious and "experimented" with things.... :whistle:  That's what they  did with US! 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Apr 22, 2021, 09:46 AM »
Never had that,but we also had a jar of pickled turkey gizzards.believe it or not but those are delicious!!another crap meal we had growing up was when my gma lived on gun lake and made us eat fried bluegill eggs and taters for breakfast.that was real nasty.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:36 PM »
There is Scrapple, it's actually yummy!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:36 PM »
I don't know about in the fifties, but my mom said horse was just about the only meat they had, in Detroit, during the depression.  I guess I could have been worse, they eat dog in Korea, monkey in the Philippines and rat in some countries.  After those, horse doesn't sound bad at all.  I would think horse isn't much different then elk, moose or caribou.

I posted about pony burgers earlier....... :sick:

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=384727.msg4186078#msg4186078

"No, sweetie, yer pony ran away...now eat yer sandwich".  :whistle:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:40 PM »
There is Scrapple, it's actually yummy!
(Image removed from quote.)

That is actually a big item Amish make.....bet the name of that comapny on there is Amish, sure sounds like it.
Ever read Michener's Centennial? The Amish in there are described making it. A LOT of Amish here in southern Minnesota. Amish furniture stores, foods, etc. But, they can keep their scrapple! Not for me!  :P

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 07, 2021, 01:00 PM »
Horse meat probably tastes pretty good, although i doubt ill ever try, despite wanting to shoot many of the horses I shoe. 

Consider this.  Cows eat grass, taste good.  Buffalo eat grass, taste good.  Elk eat grass, taste good.  Horses eat grass......

Animals that are grazers (primarily eat grass), usually taste pretty good.  Whereas browsers like deer and antelope usually taste gamey.  So, given all that, id bet horse meat is fairly mild like the rest of the grazers.
I've had horse. It's not bad. Any restaurant in Europe that has a horse head outside on the building serves horse.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2022, 04:26 PM »
horse meat is kinda like summer bologna sweet meat

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Mar 04, 2022, 07:19 PM »
Don't Chinese eat cat? The other white meat?  Cat crepes? Deep fried cat puffs?

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Sep 05, 2022, 07:07 AM »
My Mom, Vecmama and Vectēts all told me that horse meat is sweeter than beef. But they were from old country
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #45 on: Sep 05, 2022, 07:33 AM »

My dad said horse meat was ok , when he was deployed to Germany

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Sep 21, 2022, 04:15 PM »

We had "tunawiches" .... no mayo but piccalilli instead on a hamburg bun - I love those - could eat 5 right now I think ....especially if the cheese was good and brown ....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2022, 05:04 PM »
Ah gawd...don't remind me!  :sick: Nothing worse than hot tuna with melted cheese.  *RALPH* Had that on toast for school lunch...their "tuna melt". I can still smell the danged things 50 years later.  I just had tuna fish sandwiches for lunch today, but make it hot with cheese and I'll race ya to the head....🏃‍♂️

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Sep 21, 2022, 07:37 PM »
Yep, remember those too, won't eat tuna now that the big companies got caught price gouging a few years ago, ate lots of it as a kid and didn't like it much then.

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2022, 05:06 PM »
Ah gawd...don't remind me!  :sick: Nothing worse than hot tuna with melted cheese.  *RALPH* Had that on toast for school lunch...their "tuna melt". I can still smell the danged things 50 years later.  I just had tuna fish sandwiches for lunch today, but make it hot with cheese and I'll race ya to the head....🏃‍♂️

hahaha - I remember that too - that was awful .... not sure what the difference is but ....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Sep 22, 2022, 06:01 PM »
There's tuna salad, chicken salad, ham salad, why not beef salad? I've always thought about doing that, when I make a beef roast this Fall, I'm gonna run some roast beef thru the Cuisinart and make it just like any of the "other" salads. Should be tasty...whaddya think?  ???

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Sep 22, 2022, 06:33 PM »
There's tuna salad, chicken salad, ham salad, why not beef salad? I've always thought about doing that, when I make a beef roast this Fall, I'm gonna run some roast beef thru the Cuisinart and make it just like any of the "other" salads. Should be tasty...whaddya think?  ???

My grandmother used to grind up meat for sammiches, dam they were good.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Sep 22, 2022, 06:36 PM »
My grandmother used to grind up meat for sammiches, dam they were good.

How about................. Pigger salad?!  :woot:

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Sep 22, 2022, 06:42 PM »
How about................. Pigger salad?!  :woot:

She may have done that too, all I know is that lunch was great when we were hunting, fishing or getting wood with my grandfather.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Sep 22, 2022, 10:25 PM »

This was Mom's quick go to for school lunch.
A buddy brought some to camp a couple years back , didn't see em' even open it & just the odor trigged a gag reflex

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Sep 24, 2022, 05:11 AM »
Ate so much olive loaf and pickle loaf sandwiches growing up.also that ground bologna spread which was pretty nasty.
Sounds like we grew up in the same house. There was always Pickle or olive loaf in the fridge and Ma would buy whatever end cuts from the lunchmeat at the store, grind them and make a spread too. It could be baloney, ham, salami, or any combo of cold cuts. 3 boys would eat a bunch.
I also have bad memories of nasty tuna casserole with peas and dry salmon patties. That was over 50 years ago. To this day I can't stand the smell of tuna casserole.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Sep 24, 2022, 09:17 AM »
Sounds like we grew up in the same house. There was always Pickle or olive loaf in the fridge and Ma would buy whatever end cuts from the lunchmeat at the store, grind them and make a spread too. It could be baloney, ham, salami, or any combo of cold cuts. 3 boys would eat a bunch.
I also have bad memories of  :sick: That was over 50 years ago. To this day I can't stand the smell of tuna casserole.

Omigod! I think we all lived together! My Mom made that casserole with noodles and canned pink salmon...and those watery pale peas out of a can. They could use that crap in place of syrup of Ipecac! That was the worst friggin' casserole on the face of the earth. I can still see that pale pink fish..... :sick:
The olive  and pickle loaf reminds me so much of my Grandma, who I was really close to. I'd ride my bike over to her apartment, and that's what she'd make me for lunch. Still buy it today when I can find it, just 'cuz it brings back those memories with just one bite.

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Sep 27, 2022, 08:53 AM »
That is actually a big item Amish make.....bet the name of that comapny on there is Amish, sure sounds like it.
Ever read Michener's Centennial? The Amish in there are described making it. A LOT of Amish here in southern Minnesota. Amish furniture stores, foods, etc. But, they can keep their scrapple! Not for me!  :P

Here in the farmlands of PA, it's quite the breakfast treat. We buy trays of it and freeze to have for the winters. The stuff we buy is 99/100 made from beef and pig. When we get whitetails we always save the scraps to make our own pork and venison scrapple that is out of this world. We learned this past year that too much liver definitely affects the taste lol, just finished that last loaf. Its definitely a unique flavor of gray :roflmao:

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 30, 2022, 12:53 PM »
My grandmother used to eat olive loaf, head cheese and liverwurst sandwiches ....separately of course (thankfully) .... ugh ....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.