Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

Just under the ice?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jiignut:
I’m getting excited. Get to try something new to me and hopefully more successful. It’s all good.

Trophyman1:
I fish Mallet Pond quite a bit for the trout we normally fish about 7 foot down the water depth is only 9 to 10 foot in that Lake we seem to do a little better fishing deeper and that specific body of water

slipperybob:
Rainbows just under the ice and rarely do I catch them deep but sometimes 15 feet under even over deeper water.
Browns usually 4-5 feet deep and all the way to 25 feet deep.

I've had rainbows swim up the ice hole I drill, take a peek at me and slap their tail on the surface.  Next time I'm gonna put a bait right there on the surface or a bb gun ready.  :P

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: slipperybob on Feb 10, 2021, 06:09 AM ---
I've had rainbows swim up the ice hole I drill, take a peek at me and slap their tail on the surface.  Next time I'm gonna put a bait right there on the surface or a bb gun ready.  :P

--- End quote ---
I've had catfish do that several times. I didn't know trout were peepers, too. Tbh, it has scared the crap out of me a couple times when I wasn't paying attention. 😂

flagup!:
 I catch all of my rainbows and browns on jaw jacker type tip ups.  I usually put all of my tipups close to shore 2- 5 feet. I keep my leaders light and short. 2'-3' of 4 lb floro.  and  usually drop the line down till the swivel is just below the water line but not below the ice.  Otherwise, swivel gets stuck if the hole freezes and if its below the ice the shiner is sitting on bottom.    Rainbows seem to like sandy bottoms and small baits.  Browns seem to prefer rocks weeds and shiners.  Some times I'll venture out and free swim shiners in deep water and limit them to 5 feet below the ice and catch some.  With the jaw jacker its hard to sound bottom so always keep them high.  Definitely seem to catch more fish shallow.   Think covering the hole is good idea, I don't think they like moving shadows.  I just stay far away.  I'm not sure why trout like to cruise just under the ice and in shallows, but I' think it's because they can.   I know rainbows are much more tolerant of colder temps than other fish and that's where they are hanging out; up high and in shallow.  Better food source.  I would definitely go shallower with small shiners and if using tip ups I would put a rubber band on you line and around the to set the hook early.   That brown in my profile 24" + about 5 more big browns were caught in less than 2 feet of water surrounded with boulders all caught on small shiners and ignored the bugs I had on other rods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version