Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Bought the new 24v Lithium StrikeMaster the other day

(1/20) > >>

Van Noord:
These just arrived here in Canada and I've been looking for a lighter option to my bigger, main auger so I took a short drive to a local store that had them in stock and bought one along with an extra battery.

Used it just yesterday and boy is this thing light and fast! It's got to be the perfect sized power auger. Not too big... not too small, total Goldilocks.

I drilled 15 holes through 11" of ice and used 1 of the 3 battery bars on the indicator. It was approximately -10C and I was keeping the battery in the inside pocket my FXR jacket.
I'm going to keep using that same battery this week and see how many more holes I can get with it at the ice thickness.

This auger will be excellent for when pulling a sled of gear and running and gunning. Or for venturing away from base camp to pop random holes. Lovin' this thing...

Cats for scale (obviously)

huntinfool18:
I just picked up the 40v version, best auger I’ve ever used hands down.  Wish I would switched to electric years ago.
I’ve been thinking about getting the 24v for doing exactly what you said, it would be perfect for runnin and gunnin.

Maddog:
I’ve used the 40v Lithium for a couple years now. Best investment in my in fishing arsenal.

RyanW:

--- Quote from: Van Noord on Jan 01, 2021, 01:21 AM ---I drilled 15 holes through 11" of ice and used 1 of the 3 battery bars on the indicator. It was approximately -10C and I was keeping the battery in the inside pocket my FXR jacket.

--- End quote ---

I was checking one out a few weeks ago. They are very light and feel quality in the hands. But man, those numbers seem low to me unless you never fish any ice thicker than a foot. 20” of ice would cut the number of holes in half to ~7 and that’s on 1/4 of the battery. I understand you have an Ion for heavier work but a 2-dozen hole day doesn’t seem like much “runnin and gunnin” to me. I assumed these 24volts were in direct response to the boom in drill augers the past few years but I don’t see me giving up my drill setup anytime soon for a dedicated electric auger. However, I do see the 24v being a great option for the guys who have short seasons with thin ice that want to punch a bunch of holes quickly. Having said that, if I weren’t already invested in Milwaukee’s lineup, I’d really consider the 24v and an extra battery. It’s hard to beat the year round modularity of a drill setup though.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t fished on ice over 24” in about a decade. It usually maxes out at around ~20” around me. I’m curious to know the total number of holes you get at your current ice thickness!  :tipup:

Buckshots:
I just used mine yesterday for the first time. Wind was blowing snow across the lake pretty good. I removed the battery, and went inside my shanty. Came out a few hours later and the snow was on the auger. There are holes in the top where you can see the electric part of it. Will this ruin the auger? My gas auger I could always leave sitting outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version