Author Topic: Lakers  (Read 4597 times)

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lakers
« on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:27 PM »
So I spent a good portion of last winter trying to get Lakers through the ice and I just couldn't get one. I was mainly fishing around 60-70 ft and sometimes shallower  or deeper. I was mainly jigging spoons and had shiners on my tip ups. I did get a bunch of flags but always dropped it and did get some monster smallies in the deep. I fished 3 different lakes about 5 times each. What should I try/change up this season

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2019, 04:00 PM »
Try a 3” or 4” white tube jig tipped with a piece of sucker meat. Look for points and drop offs. Once you locate the fish you should be in business. Good Fishing! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Try a 3” or 4” white tube jig tipped with a piece of sucker meat. Look for points and drop offs. Once you locate the fish you should be in business. Good Fishing! Ski
What kind of jig would I put this on? I have a bunch of tube jig heads from the summer but I dont know if they would sit horizontal

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:37 PM »
Not knowing what size jig heads you’re referring to, but I fish 1/8, 1/4 and even 1/2 ounce on 3”, 4”, and 5” white tubes depending on the depth and size of the fish I’m targeting. Bigger jig often = larger fish. You might also try brown, black, or chartreuse colored tubes. Remember, spoons and jigging raps can also be productive at times. Put in a search for info on jigging for lakers on the internet, and don’t be afraid to try different things until you find something that produces, and what works one day, may not work the next for these finicky critters. Good Fishing! Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Thanks man I cant wait to try for Lakers I've been doing a lot of research

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:35 PM »
I would use a Chum pot and get a good slick going.  A white tub jig works well but depending on what the forage is always match the hatch. ;)
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:26 AM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=218.0

Lots of great information in this page. White tubes tipped try other colors of tubes. Chase the marks at any depth you see on the graph. Spoons, jigging raps, lipless crankbaits all work. If you can figure out the forage then you can start hunting the areas where the bait lives. Good luck!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.