Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Lake Trout

Lake Trout Eaters

(1/3) > >>

McFishy:
I am fairly new to fishing for Lakers and have let the few I have caught go, but curious to see what people think are good eater size. The lake I fish has a healthy Laker population so thinking of keeping one or two this year to try out. With walleyes, I make sure to let the healthy breeders go and know what their sizes range, but just not sure where that line is for a Laker. Any advice would be helpful! I looked around the site for info on this and didn't see it so apologize if this is redundant.

Pheasanttail:
Eater size depends upon the lake I am fishing.  On one lake I fish I don’t keep any over about 20’’ as there are a lot in the 16-19’’ range. On another lake, fish from 17-23’’ are common, so I don’t keep any fish longer than 23-24’’. I guess I try to keep fish of a size that are abundant in a particular lake and release the bigger ones.

Seamonkey84:
What ever the legal size is, from there to the upper end of average for the lake. The smaller lake trout are said to taste better, and will have less toxins built up. So that really does depend on the lake your fishing.
Here in Maine, general law is two lake trout a day with a 18” minimum. However, one of our biggest lakes has too many lake trout. There’s a slot of 26-33” that has to be released. Anything under 26” should be taken and there’s no daily limit, can keep one over 33”. So basically, if your lake trout naturally reporoduce, your better off taking several of the numerous smaller ones than the bigger ones.

Uppervalley Kid:

--- Quote from: Seamonkey84 on Jan 15, 2019, 11:33 PM ---What ever the legal size is, from there to the upper end of average for the lake. The smaller lake trout are said to taste better, and will have less toxins built up. So that really does depend on the lake your fishing.
Here in Maine, general law is two lake trout a day with a 18” minimum. However, one of our biggest lakes has too many lake trout. There’s a slot of 26-33” that has to be released. Anything under 26” should be taken and there’s no daily limit, can keep one over 33”. So basically, if your lake trout naturally reporoduce, your better off taking several of the numerous smaller ones than the bigger ones.

--- End quote ---

Ive eaten some tasty lakers out of this waterbody, biggest was just under 26" fantastic grilled. That said I brine and smoke most of my lakers these days, heaven mixed with some cream cheese and spread on a cracker. I also mix them with mayo, mustard and relish and eat them like tuna fish on a sandwich.

Trophyman1:
I've tried the lake trout couple times personally don't care for him

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version