Kansas > Ice Fishing Kansas

South Dakota

(1/4) > >>

eyecrosser65:
Hello; every year some friends and I choose a new destination for ice fishing; last year was Clear Lake in Iowa, year before North Dakota and parts of Nebraska. This year looking at the Waubay area in South Dakota; been reading and researching with mixed results and feelings. Seems the re is a lot of fishing pressure on this area; have any of you been there before and any info you might give would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

midwest_rodworks:
Good, luck.  We got our butts kicked 2 years ago(5 keeper fish with 4 guys fishing, over 3 days), andy buddy and his group didn't do too great last year.

Lyontyl:
SoDak can be really good or really bad or in between.  I have been going there for 4 years now and 3 of my 5 trips have been just okay.  We put in a lot of work and were rewarded with big fish and average numbers.  The other two times we did really well with one trip limiting out both days on walleyes and last years trip we got on a giant school of perch and walleye and we limited out on both in the same spot with my group of 6. 

I would recommend going.  It's a unique area with a lot of places to fish.  You can fish Waubay or Bitter and be with the crowds (plenty of area on these lakes to fish away from crowds to) or fish a hundred different bodies of water in the area and you may not see another person.

I was always told to either try and go early season or late season (heard late is the best) right before ice out.  We have always went right before Christmas and the crowds aren't that bad at that time.

Pomona:
My son and I have been there 2 times in the last 3 years, once with a guide and once with out. Did very will both times,
Great area with great people, I recommend going!

yonger:
We went with a group of 6 to Waubay last year.  There wasn't 20 shacks on the entire lake.  We had a rough go of it.  We caught fish but only a couple in the morning and a couple at night. Perch were really nice sized.  I would go again that being said. But I would kind of look for the lakes with the crowds on them and at least start there.  We jumped to a couple of different lakes which worked out nicely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version