Massachusetts > Ice Fishing Massachusetts

NewEngland Game & Fish - pike article - WAY OFF!!!!

(1/4) > >>

Porter:
I recently purchased this magazine to read about some pike hotspots and felt that the person who wrote it (who by the way was a lady ::)) was so far off it wasn't funny. In Mass these hotspots were A1 and Quinsig - for anyone who has been close to these fisheries LY and TY, she couldn't be more wrong. Are they trying to keep the TRUE hotspots quiet??? Just wondering.... Any avid readers of this board obviously know that Chauncy, Onata, Pontoosuc, CT River, Woods, Sudbury River, etc. are MUCH more productive! What do you guys think?  Unless my records are wrong, under 5 pike were caught all last year at A1 and maybe 1 or 2 this year (all under 5lbs). And nothing special has come out of Flint or Quinsig.
- Porter

Porter:
All apologogies - article was written by Frank Mclane... ;D

Still way off though :P

Porter:
MASSACHUSETTS
Lake Quinsigamond
This 772-acre lake is close to Worcester and has developed a reputation for winter pike. Part of the attraction is that the Massachusetts Division of Fish and Wildlife has stocked the lake with northern pike since the early 1980s. Today, ice- fishermen routinely catch pike over the 28-inch length limit, with many fish pushing 20 pounds.

Ice-anglers will find three distinct sections of the lake. The northern basin of the lake is deep and narrow. This is where ice-anglers go when looking for trout. It averages about 33 feet.

The middle section, often called the “southern basin,” is shallower, with numerous coves and islands. This is where anglers have the best chance of hooking into a northern pike or chain pickerel.

The southernmost section is known as “Flint Pond.” This pond is shallow with an average depth of 9 feet. Flint Pond seems better suited for largemouth bass fishing, but some of the biggest pike turn up in this section.

The shore is highly developed, but anglers will find plenty of public access. Parking for the southern basin can be found at Quinsigamond State Park on the west side of the lake south of Route 9. North of Route 9, on the west side of the lake, Regatta Park provides access to the northern basin.

The lake has two launch ramps. The northern ramp is on North Quinsigamond Avenue in Shrewsbury (from Exit 22 off Interstate 290). Another boat ramp is on Flint Pond off Route 20 east of Worcester.

A-l Site
Ice-anglers enjoy abundant yellow perch, largemouth bass and crappies here, but it is the northern pike that is the big winter draw. MassWildlife began releasing northern pike into this 325-acre pond in 1988. Biologists have continued to stock the pond with pike to maintain the fishery.

This lake, often called “Stump Pond,” was created when a dam was placed across the Assabet River. Trees and stumps were not removed from the lake before it was flooded. While much of the wood has since decayed, there is ample submerged cover for the fish. Pike anglers do well fishing near the larger piles of submerged logs and stumps.

The water of A-1 is stained brown, and local experts recommend adding a bright-colored spoon or jig to your tip-ups to improve pike success. Also, look for dropoffs. The average depth is only 3 feet, but there is a deep basin formed by the old river channel that drops down to 15 feet.

This pond has a good forage base of golden shiners, white suckers and yellow perch. All three make excellent Stump Pond pike baits. There is a vast amount of submerged timber, so keep your bait anchored tightly with plenty of weight. Free-swimming baits will tangle quickly in this pond.

Stout lines are also recommended to help fight big fish through the sunken wood.

Access to A-1 is provided through roadside parking. Take Exit 23 off I-495 onto Route 9 west toward Worcester. Turn south onto Route 30 into Westborough. About one mile past Westborough Center, turn right onto Mill Street to the lake.

A resident season license costs $27.50. Non-resident Massachusetts licenses cost $37.50 for the season or $23.50 for a three-day permit.

For more information, contact the Massachusetts Division of Fish and Wildlife at (617) 626-1591.

For tourism information, write to the Office of Travel and Tourism, 10 Park Plaza, Suite 4510, Boston, MA 02116; or call (800) 227-MASS.

minnow1:
It's all a  matter of opinion.  How can you be so sure that nothings been caught unless you're there every day of the week and watch every person?  Almost impossible to do. 

I must agree that the people that write the articles probably don't have a clue as to the real truth.  They spend their time indoors and assume what they write is true but unless they actually put time in and fish, they are basing it on opinion.

G.Horne:
I use to get this mag but the problem is the articles are just republished year after year.  After a couple years I canceled my subscription. The articles weather it is a pike, largemouth, smallmouth, ect... Were written years ago and they use the same info and same ponds.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version