Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Catfish

Tip Ups for Cats?

(1/4) > >>

KeystoneICE:
I was just wondering if anyone has ever used tip-ups for cats?  Where would you put them? And what kind of bait do you use?  Thanks.

Auger:
I'd love to know too.  Any cat men out there?

toboso:
I have indeed caught many channel cats with my tip-ups.  Generally this occurs during late ice and away from any current, whether it's wind generated or water flow.  I am typically catching them on fathead minnows intended for saugeye (central Ohio).  I have wanted to take some gizzard shad and focus on catfish, but I haven't made myself do it yet.  With no ice this year, I don't think I'll be able to write that chapter.

The flat does best for channels also produces a lot of saugeye, but not co-mingled it seems.  This particular flat is near the deepest water in the lake, so there's not much difference from open water locations.  I also tend to find a good supply of winter kill shad in the ice where I catch cats.  This flat is the perrenial ice-out magnet due to the sour bait that is readily available.

iceintheveins:
The bulk of cats I have caught through the ice are on tip ups when pike fishing. I would use a dead anchovy, cats love them as do pike.

Oldfart:
I still have leftover saltwater baits from this years surfcasting. Been holding on to it just to set the tipups for cats and pike. :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version