Author Topic: Scent for Kokanee  (Read 9038 times)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Scent for Kokanee
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Has anyone tried any kind of scent for Kokanee? We went salmon fishing this fall and used those superbaits that were full of tuna soaked in a bloody tuna/garlic scent and it worked quite well. I was thinking about putting some of that in the container of maggots.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Scent for Kokanee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:50 PM »
If you feed those spikes, you just may have a crop of blue bottle flies in short order.    ;)2

Better to dunk them or inject with a hypodermic syringe with a sharps large enough to pass the thick bloody tuna stuff.     :whistle:

Good luck and do let us know the result.     :bow:

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:25 PM »
I was just thinking they're both salmon so maybe it's worth a try, those chinooks went nuts over it. The two lures that had the garlic mix were the only ones getting bit so we switched the tuna and let the same suoerbaits and then they got bit too.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Do I understand, you put it in the spike puck?

Something else I've found for some species, is capsules of cod liver oil; cut them open and CAREFULLY squeeze a little on the bait, jig or lure.    ;)2

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Was thinking of just putting some in the puck hoping that they might get saturated in the scent or maybe it'd be better to just put a drop on the spike or the flasher before dropping it down the hole. I guess I might just be trying to re-invent the wheel. ;D

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:36 PM »
I think you're thinkin' like a fisherman.    :thumbsup: :roflmao:

If you have a spare empty puck, maybe try a few spikes, soaked.    ;)2

And, that cod liver oil is sorta shhh. lol

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:42 PM »
........Something else I've found for some species, is capsules of cod liver oil; cut them open and CAREFULLY squeeze a little on the bait, jig or lure.    ;)2

We have been doing that for a few years, using salmon oil capsules, when fishing laketrout, pike, and whitefish.  Rather than cutting the capsule open, we just puncture the capsule with a needle, and squeeze the exact amount needed onto the lure.

In a hurry, the hook point works too, but the oil really comes out then.  Of course, even then it's not wasted if you just pop the capsule into your mouth and gulp it down.  Healthy fishin' !  ;)

Ted

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:42 PM »
I'll keep it under my hat

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:47 PM »
The tip about the oil that is not the actual oil, my hair is oily enough haha

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:10 PM »
If you eat meat, yer hair oil will reek of butyric acid.   Maybe shampoo has an attractant. lol

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:58 PM »
Well I tried the garlic oil scent, just dropped some in the puck and stirred it up, let sit overnight. It definitely made the spikes smell like the scent.  It didn't seem to be the wonder scent that made em fight to get on my hook but it didn't seem to scare them away either. Managed to catch a limit in 5 hours. I consider myself a beginner Kokanee fisher so a pro might've had better results.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:05 PM »
It's a nice day when getting the limit happens.        :thumbsup:

Offline Hamop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:36 PM »
I know this is almost a year old, but the Berkley Gulp maggots will soak up the  water soluble Pro Cure scents.  I pour out some of the Gulp liquid and pour the Pro cure into the bottle.   

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:06 AM »
I've had good luck with anise or anise shrimp or shrimp scent smelly jelly along with one or two pieces of white shoe peg corn on anything with a dropper chain like a perch talker, hali, or add one to a rattlin flyer or Sweedish Pimple. Gold, siver and pink have produced for me ever on a deadstick only jigging and always suspended in the water column. Zs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.