Author Topic: cats  (Read 6792 times)

Offline kwiky364

• IceShanty Rookie
cats
« on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:57 AM »
any body eat cats or bullhead that were pulled through the ice? ive heard tme meat is mushy and aint no good

Offline kwiky364

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: cats
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2005, 08:57 AM »
so no one has eaten any cats from the ice ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:37 PM »
Makes no sense to me, the colder the water, the firmer the flesh tends to be. I never have caught a cat through the ice, but i have to imagine the flesh in quite edible.

Offline kwiky364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2005, 01:28 PM »
hey thanks thats what i figured but i caught a couple bullhead and a cat in sept.  the game warden comes and was like are you keepin those fish.  i was like ya why.  he says well the colder it gets the meat gets mushy and thay aint no good eatin.  i thought he was full of crap :) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Caught my first channel cat through the ice last year while fishing for bass.  Tasted great.  I think that there are just a lot a people out there that cannot cook.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:27 AM »
I think the warden had a problem AFTER the catch. If you throw them on the ice and le em freeze solid, then thaw and clean it may mush on you. If you try to bend it back and forth judging if its pliable enough to clean, your mushing its meat. Best bet is to keep em alive untill you go home. They stay alive for hours in a plastic bag out of the wind. In real cold conditions you can put them on a stringer and lower it down a hole. :tipup:
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:18 AM »
ive been nailing bullheads about 1.5 inches off the bottom the past few days and they are great eaters!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:51 PM »
I think they taste pretty darn good. As long as your getting them from a good unpolluted water. I get them through the ice as a bonus, all the time. Sometimes jiggin, sometimes on tip-ups. On the tip-ups, especially when night fishing for walleye and crappie. I caught a few nice bullheads this season(17-20inches)

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2009, 11:00 PM »

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 11:09 PM »
That little guy went back. we were fishing gills that day. But, all fish are the colder the water the denser the meat in the winter. The best bullhead come out of cold water and you wouldn't beleive how good they taste.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2009, 05:21 PM »
i wouldnt have gotten any of them unless i had my showdown.. you could see a line about .5 inch off the bottom and jig a little bit with 1/8th white jig head and let it sit then wait for the line to disapear, very slowly your bobber goes down...

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 07:22 PM »
i wouldnt have gotten any of them unless i had my showdown.. you could see a line about .5 inch off the bottom and jig a little bit with 1/8th white jig head and let it sit then wait for the line to disapear, very slowly your bobber goes down...
I don't mean to get off the topic. But how do you like your Showdown, Brokenline? I've decided to definitely get a flasher next year, and that one has really caught my eye. It really seams to have some really great features.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2009, 10:22 PM »
its great! like i said if the fish are on the bottom the showdown is the only thing that will tell you its .5 inch off the bottom..  its made it though H#ll it has fallen of my sled at 45 mph and dropped countless times and nothing has broken on it.. i am thinking about making a pvc mount to use it on my boat to get those deep water eyes in the summer!! if you have anymore questions feel free to ask :)

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2009, 02:30 PM »
its great! like i said if the fish are on the bottom the showdown is the only thing that will tell you its .5 inch off the bottom..  its made it though H#ll it has fallen of my sled at 45 mph and dropped countless times and nothing has broken on it.. i am thinking about making a pvc mount to use it on my boat to get those deep water eyes in the summer!! if you have anymore questions feel free to ask :)
Thank you for the feedback, Brokenline. From what I've saw, the 'showdown' has gotten my attention. I am 99 percent positive on my decision on one of these for next year, especially after your response. Thank you, and thanks for keeping it open for any more questions I may have. I will keep that in mind.

Good Fishin'...SalmonRebel. :tipup:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:40 PM »
any body eat cats or bullhead that were pulled through the ice? ive heard tme meat is mushy and aint no good
i get channel cats in a lake by my house and eat them a lot. i fillet them up, batter them up, then deep fry them in oil. it taste increadably delicious.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2009, 04:29 PM »
Hey Mike! You should try them rubbed with white, black and cayene pepper overnite, then smoked over apple wood! :o :o :o
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2009, 08:46 PM »
Catties are delicious. I usually make mine, the way most cajuns do...Fried in white cornmeal and plain breadcrumbs, with garlic powder, paparika, and cayenne pepper.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:09 AM »
Hey Mike! You should try them rubbed with white, black and cayene pepper overnite, then smoked over apple wood! :o :o :o
sounds good oldfart, have to make some now. thanks!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.