New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Poll

What are your feelings about ice fishing tournaments?

Are you for tournaments (they have no effect on the lake)  ;D
Are you against tournaments (kill too many fish)  >:(
Neutral (not sure of the effects)  ???

Author Topic: A poll on tournaments  (Read 1899 times)

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
A poll on tournaments
« on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:06 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a poll for this site. The question I was going to ask was..... What are your feelings about ice fishing tournaments?
1. Are you for tournaments (they have no effect on the lake)  ;D
2. Are you against tournaments (kill too many fish)  >:(
3. Neutral (not sure of the effects)  ???

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: starting a poll on tournaments
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:08 AM »
personally im neutral, theres good, bad, and ugly to everything :tipup:

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:09 AM »
Ask and you shall receive! ;)2 Just keep it clean boy! No shots below the belt! :whistle: And I am sure this one will either wind up in the GOMS or will need to be deleted but lets try it anyway! :unsure:

Offline toothycritter00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2005, 11:12 AM »
you the man bussman

I agree this could get ugly but I hope people people can control themselves. Keeping my fingers crossed.  :-\

thanks
toothy

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2005, 01:38 PM »
I choose neutral, because it really depends upon the lake and species. A panfish tourney on a overpopulated lake is a good thing, but if you go after say, Lake Trout on a lake where they are borderline threatened as it is, you will be placing a negative effect on the lake's ecosystem.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Kind of a toughy cuz i love fishin tournaments. Each is different , I have fished C&R derbys and others where fish are hung to dry. Like pasquatch said,  I also think it depends alot on whats goin on in that lake. Some lakes have derbys to thin out certain populations to improve the lake as a whole.

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2005, 02:50 PM »
I voted against ice-fishing tournaments.
Some of you may have read the My Rant thread that I started about the Trap Attack on a certain lake. This does not mean I am against all tourneys. I have in fact participated in many open-water tournaments which were C/R. On hard water the impact is just so much greater IMO, both on the fishery and the local situation. There are countless huge ice-fishing events across the nation that leave lakes stressed, littered, and un-fishable. The ruts, cracks, and slush make the ice almost impossible for weeks. I speak from first hand experience.
I am NOT targeting the IT. Most of them are decent guys, and a few are friends of mine.
That's all I'm going to contribute. Good luck with this thread.
I had to lock the one I that started...

On a side note- I did proudly enter the IS tourney. Ice it, take 2 pics, and bloop!
It's down the hole. It's a different type of thing.
The fish aren't swimming in a frigid bucket all day waiting to be weighed.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2005, 03:58 PM »
I myself like fishing derbys. I also like fishing for Lakers actually i love fishing lakers. one certain lake i fish has a minimum length entry size so that you dont get to many anglers bringing in just legal. fish  . If rules like these are established and derby sponsors do there homework on which lakes to put a hit on i think things would be okay.

Offline PikerDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:25 PM »
I have more of a problem with some of the people that run them.
On a small lake I don't think it would be a good idea to take a lot of fish out of it,Especially the big ones.

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2005, 04:41 PM »
depends......big party derbies like the crappie derby are really getting rediculous. just like the trap attacks
but there are really some well run derbies by local baitshops that are always a blast

billybono

Offline fishfinder24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: A poll on tournaments
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2005, 01:21 AM »
I picked neutral.  I personally like getting out and fishing in derbies once in awhile.  They are fun.  However, I do believe that derbies could hurt a body of water if not managed properly.

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2005, 10:19 AM »
I'm a tournament nut open or iced water
I feel it's up to the entity that put's on the tournament to set rules that protect the resource

a perfect example of this was last year I fished the super trap attack at silver lake
each team was allowed 8 bluegills and 7 perch
they had to be alive at weigh in as you culled you replaced smaller fish
this is responsible tournament management
all of the fish I weighed went back alive.
So please don't look badly on the tournament genre itself just on irresponsible management

peace
Topwtr81
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Neutral
    I like to fish in one each year on a lake I like to fish,  its great to see other people out, and new ice fishermen as well.     
     Sure it can do a damage to the fish population, but coming from a  fisheries view fish are a lot more hardy and adaptable then a lot of people realize, with the increased pressure the fish will either move out or not bite as well, or be caught.     
      Catching and keeping the fish doesnt bother me because what me and my family keep we eat.     
      So far it sounds like I am pretty for tournaments right?    Well it isnt the atuall fishing that bothers me its the other people sometimes.     Me and my family will put out 10-15 tip-ups and try not to take up too much space, there is plenty of other room for fishermen.     But we will have a person come in and start jigging 5 or 10 feet from a tip-up, and that is irritating, and that tip-up never went off that day go figure  ???     
     I can deal with that thats okay though some people dont know what they are quite doing yet and tended to be new to ice fishing it looked like.   
      What really really bothers me the most in tournaments is the cheaters, the ones who say, shove some tip-up depth finders down a trouts mouth, to add weight to win.   It saddens me greatly to hear about people who cheat.  Is that money really going to feel right when you won it unfairly?   or are people that un-ethical and un-moral nowadays?       
      If tournaments would just go by length and not weight it would fix a lot of the problems, sure a winning fish may be lighter then the 2nd place fish but then you could not really cheat and win.   Tournaments like the one on here, which I am signed up for, are great ideas, they allow for C&R if people want to and would make it darn hard for someone to cheat in.   
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2005, 12:16 PM »
To many cheaters out there..vote me against

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.