New York > Ice Fishing New York

A poll on tournaments

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hood:
Kind of a toughy cuz i love fishin tournaments. Each is different , I have fished C&R derbys and others where fish are hung to dry. Like pasquatch said,  I also think it depends alot on whats goin on in that lake. Some lakes have derbys to thin out certain populations to improve the lake as a whole.

hali-man:
I voted against ice-fishing tournaments.
Some of you may have read the My Rant thread that I started about the Trap Attack on a certain lake. This does not mean I am against all tourneys. I have in fact participated in many open-water tournaments which were C/R. On hard water the impact is just so much greater IMO, both on the fishery and the local situation. There are countless huge ice-fishing events across the nation that leave lakes stressed, littered, and un-fishable. The ruts, cracks, and slush make the ice almost impossible for weeks. I speak from first hand experience.
I am NOT targeting the IT. Most of them are decent guys, and a few are friends of mine.
That's all I'm going to contribute. Good luck with this thread.
I had to lock the one I that started...

On a side note- I did proudly enter the IS tourney. Ice it, take 2 pics, and bloop!
It's down the hole. It's a different type of thing.
The fish aren't swimming in a frigid bucket all day waiting to be weighed.

sounder:
I myself like fishing derbys. I also like fishing for Lakers actually i love fishing lakers. one certain lake i fish has a minimum length entry size so that you dont get to many anglers bringing in just legal. fish  . If rules like these are established and derby sponsors do there homework on which lakes to put a hit on i think things would be okay.

PikerDude:
I have more of a problem with some of the people that run them.
On a small lake I don't think it would be a good idea to take a lot of fish out of it,Especially the big ones.

billybono:
depends......big party derbies like the crappie derby are really getting rediculous. just like the trap attacks
but there are really some well run derbies by local baitshops that are always a blast

billybono

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version