Montana > Ice Fishing Montana

Any Early Ice on the Front?

(1/2) > >>

copperjohn:
Hey, it's great to be back.
Wondering if anybody's heard any conditions on Francis, Tiber, or the lakes up Augusta way.  We've had quite the early cold spell and snow here in Great Falls and are hoping to walk on water this weekend. Thanks and Tight Lines to All!
Dave

Icejigs:
Check out the Montana Outdoor site. Someone was talking about Frances. Good luck.

copperjohn:
Thanks for the tip, L.D.H.  That's one of the best sites.  We're gonna start at the low water ramp area at 1st light Sat.  5 inches of hard ice they say.  Can't wait.  I'll post the results after cleaning my fish   ;D :D  Moochaz gassyass

Icejigs:
Probably will never get there but have you ever heard of Ayrod lake and where is it? Thanks.

Droz:
I went up to lake frances today and there were about 6 fishermen on the lake.  I walked out on the ice and it appeared to be about 4-5 inches thick.  But there was alot of movement in the ice every step I took sent cracks through the ice.  Scared the hell out of me.  I've played pond hockey my whole life on 5 inches but never heard ice react like it did today.  Don't know if it's just the pressure in the lake or what but even when I was standing on shore next to my car I could hear the ice moving.  There's a pressure ridge that runs South from what I assume is the Island (that you can drive onto) and all fisherman were west of the ridge.  The ice on the East of the pressure ridge just doesn't look safe to me.  So if you head up there, just watch your step, don't want anyone getting hurt.  If you do head up good luck.  I'm gonna give it another week or two

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version