Author Topic: Riggin atv for ice  (Read 16838 times)

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
Riggin atv for ice
« on: Sep 09, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Gonna setup my wheeler for ice fishing this year, I will be using a 97 Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4. I want to get some type of holder for a power auger, tire chains, gps holder and some kind of bucket carrier. Tire chains and gps holder are no brainers, its the auger and bucket holder im interested in. There are a bunch of accessories for the Polaris atv racks you can get that are for holding guns and shovels, just not sure how they would hold up to something heavy like an auger. any suggestions?

These are what im thinking about using for holding the auger...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-TEK-POLARIS-MOUNT-ATV-AND-UTV-FLEXGRIP-SINGLE-GUN-TOOL-BOW-OR-UTILITY-RACK-/271221107535?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2609ab4f&vxp=mtr#ht_4256wt_905

Offline rouser

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ATV ice fishing setup
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2013, 08:29 PM »
I have been using a Digger auger mount for the last 2 year, it is a simple but solid solution IMO. Easy on easy off and you can mount it on a sled or an ATV.

http://www.diggeranchor.com/Auger_Carrier.html

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2013, 10:40 PM »

here's my setup on a rubicon
born to fish---forced to work

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2013, 04:14 AM »
Here's a pic of a wooden rack I made to hold a power auger.  A box, used to carry other smaller items, is incorporated.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=109438.msg1074562#msg1074562
This is on a Yamaha - I have since purchased a Polaris and now mount the rack to the stock front rack, which makes it removable.  I have a Polaris lock 'n ride front box I use other times of the year.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Here's a picture of my setup. Sorry it's hard to see the auger racks, they are simply Kolpin gun racks attached to the ATV rack behind the seat. It leaves all of the rack/basket space free. I think the milk crates are more usefull than anything else, they are held together and on the machine by heavy-duty wire ties (zip ties).

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2013, 06:55 AM »
x2 for the Digger Auger mount.

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2013, 04:26 PM »
go with the digger auger mount
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2013, 06:47 PM »
I use this system for winter ATV travel. I have been very satisfied.

I also have my Bird 788 mounted to the handle bars using Ram mounts. The bigger screen makes following the GPS and lake chip child's play. I also have the Digger auger mount on the front. I usually use it to carry my chisel.

WS

Offline jevine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2013, 01:17 AM »
Before buying one, build one. I built my own 4 years ago after paying for one. Make a box, but v the ends of it so your auger sits in there and on your two side walls get so I bolts with the loop in them into the side walls. gusset all sides. fly down the lake with my auger strapped in and never have a problem. and its a fix and other things box. with the straps I like to strap my bar and spear to the from under the straps also.  for buckets build just a two bucket wooden box on the back or a platform to go in your receiver. Way better than any you can buy
Got Ice? Flag up! Fish Fort Peck

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2013, 08:06 AM »
That is sweet! But how much did the monsterbox and accesories cost?
Monsterbox is the way to go.  Wish I could go pick one up, somewhere nearby.  Shipping to Northern NY is a real killer, almost doubles the price of the box.  Trying to get a local dealer to include it in his ice season order of Otter stuff, this year.  Hopefully, it'll work out.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Picked up tracks for my ATV this summer and have Otter Monster boxes on the front and back of my Grizz.  Look out backwoods lakes...it's on this year!
Chris Raymond

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Picked up tracks for my ATV this summer and have Otter Monster boxes on the front and back of my Grizz.  Look out backwoods lakes...it's on this year!

You are going to like those tracks!  Just awesome for accessing those backwoods lakes and ponds ;D  Awesome on the heavy snow and slush that goes along with those bodies of water as well.  ;D :flex: :icefish:

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2013, 02:23 PM »
You are going to like those tracks!  Just awesome for accessing those backwoods lakes and ponds ;D  Awesome on the heavy snow and slush that goes along with those bodies of water as well.  ;D :flex: :icefish:

Yeah, we get more than our fair share of snow that's for certain.  Can't wait to give these bad boys a snort.  I'll post pics once winter is upon us. 
Chris Raymond

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Yeah, we get more than our fair share of snow that's for certain.  Can't wait to give these bad boys a snort.  I'll post pics once winter is upon us.

Aw c'mon, there's no snow on the UP. You'll need creepers every day! :laugh:

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2013, 11:30 PM »

Yeah, it's not like the Keweenaw isn't the snowiest, non-mountain place in the lower 48 or anything.  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2013, 03:58 AM »
I got my Monster Box and accessories for $150. I posted on CL that I wanted to buy one and a guy responded looking to sell his. It also came with  the accessories.Sometimes you just have to ask.

On a side note I know a guy that uses his for trapping. One time he had 5 coyotes stuffed into his box :o, I still laugh about that.

WS

Offline dairyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2013, 11:52 AM »
here's my set-up

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2013, 06:12 PM »
here's my set-up

Do you not have a set up? Haha because I see nothing! ???

Go Beavers!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2013, 08:00 PM »
There's no snow in the UP, it's all just a bad dream!

<*)))>{
Thread killer

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2013, 10:55 AM »
That otter box is sweet, and priced decent too! Gonna add that to my wish list...lol

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Riggin atv for ice
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I bought a 4 wheeler this year & got a auger mount for the front rack & box for the rear rack.What are some of the most important items or ideas has anyone eles come up with ?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Riggin atv for ice
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2013, 04:30 PM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I bought a 4 wheeler this year & got a auger mount for the front rack & box for the rear rack.What are some of the most important items or ideas has anyone eles come up with ?

GPS
I always loved a drop basket off the rear rack for moving around fish, buckets, ect. and not having to worry about tying it down.
couple rod holders for ice trolling.
Heated grips!
Some of those Kolpin Rhino grip holders for spud bars or shovels. 
A proper frame mounted hitch receiver if your going to move heavy loads/sleepers/wheel houses, ect.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Chains are a big help in deep snow or glare ice.  Depending on how far you travel on the ice, a windshield is very nice.  I like to have a throw rope and tow strap just in case.

IceCreeper

« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2013, 04:28 PM »
ALL that plus 2 life vests strapped to the front and 2 on the rear rack,a big coil of heavy rope,peace of mind.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:50 PM »
www.j-wheelz.com

I can help you if you need more info or are ready for a set...

mike
www.perchassault.com
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2013, 09:56 PM »
www.j-wheelz.com

I can help you if you need more info or are ready for a set...

mike
www.perchassault.com
www.howesfishing.com

I run 14" wheels and 27" tires is there a set made for those and will the adapter scratch or mar my aftermarket rims?

Offline Jamesons tip-up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:55 AM »
As a newbie I would like to say that there have been some very helpful hints and ideas on this post,  thanks all.  I getting my atv rigged now.l

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2013, 07:41 AM »

What's the make and model of the ATV?  Some have limitations, like the 400/500/800 Polaris with struts - can't run chains up front without wheel spacers.  Too tight between the tire and ball joint.  There are other options, like tire ice screws.  Maybe a tall windshield. Helmet with a heated face shield.  The possibilities are endless.  I am considering adding a heated seat.  :P

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:02 PM »
What's the make and model of the ATV?  Some have limitations, like the 400/500/800 Polaris with struts - can't run chains up front without wheel spacers.  Too tight between the tire and ball joint.  There are other options, like tire ice screws.  Maybe a tall windshield. Helmet with a heated face shield.  The possibilities are endless.  I am considering adding a heated seat.  :P
I purchased a 2012 Honda Rancher AT. Thanks for all the input & ideas so far.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.