Author Topic: atv tounge weight rating  (Read 1974 times)

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
atv tounge weight rating
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:52 PM »
hey guys, 2005 kawi praire 700 here. Its a straight axel machine....SO, the tounge weight on the atv is rated at 70lbs, same as the rear rack.... On a regualr basis I will pile 2 of my friends on the back and go pounding across the ice... Depending on which fat arses I am fishing with that could be anywhere from 400-500+ lbs of weight on the rear rack...So here is the dilema, I usually pull my permy shack with my truck but this season might require atv.... I am alittle leary of it as the tounge of the shack is at 300lbs.... .But how would that be any diff than putting 500lbs of guys (which i do without thinking about it) on the back of the atv? its putting the same amount of pressure on the axel ect...... No i wont be going across the ice at 30, more like 5-7 mph, maybe 10mph....If i am willing to put my atv through the paces with my fat friends why not the shack? I just pulled it around the driveway and it seemed to handle it just fine.... long term issues? woudl you pull the shack w the atv?
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: atv tounge weight rating
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:23 PM »
They don't make recommendations for weight capacities for nothing, you break it, your walking.  Take  care of your kit, it takes care of you.  Why not put a pneumatic dolly wheel under the front of the trailer.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:21 AM »
I would never abuse mine like that. My luck either an Axel would bend or at the very least a seal or two would blow out.

WS

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:57 AM »
I would never abuse mine like that. My luck either an Axel would bend or at the very least a seal or two would blow out.

WS

thats the thing I didnt ever think I was abusing my machine. Been carrying around 2 friends on the back rack for years. Dont even think twice about it...Never had an issue....I pulled my 18 ft lund prov with a 175 verado out of a shed with the kawi... Tounge weight is around 200lbs maybe a hair more. Total weight of the rig w gas, anchors, ect is 4000lbs. That was alittle much for the machine but I only went a short distance. It wasnt the tounge weight that was hard pulling the boat it was the total weight of the rig that time...

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:59 AM »
They don't make recommendations for weight capacities for nothing, you break it, your walking.  Take  care of your kit, it takes care of you.  Why not put a pneumatic dolly wheel under the front of the trailer.

If you follow the manufactres recommendations than you cant even put a deer on the back rack.... I do that on a regualr basis too! I think atv companies drastically downsize their ratings to get out of warranty issues. You are going to tell me that all that rack can hold is 70lbs?!?! like I said, I put 2 grown adult men on each side of it all the time, hasnt even bent..

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Well...............My Dad used to say " If you listen to the music, you have to be prepared to pay the fiddler". I know what you mean about recommendations, they cover their hind ends. When I made my comment it was more about how my luck goes. If a person is willing to pay the consequences then have at it. Good luck with your decision!

WS

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:22 AM »
sounds like youve put quite a bit of weight on it before as long as your taking it easy like it sounds I wold go for it, I would rather break on axle then drop the truck through the ice or put some weight in the back of the trailer to get your target 75 lbs tounge weight

Offline drywallgod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:55 AM »
adjust your back shock to a stiff setting so you arent bottoming it out and you will be fine,also to preserve your belt i would pull it in low range

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:39 PM »
i use low anytime I am moving under 25 mph or so.... Rarely use high.... Not sure how to audjust the shocks but that sounds like a good idea.. :)

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:16 PM »
my shocks have little tabs to grab with the adjustment wrench you just squeeze and turn to adjust the compression on them this link should help you out http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-brute-force-prairie-bayou/73975-adjusting-05-prairie-700-rear-shock-w-gas-charger.html

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Sounds like you are getting gross trailer weight and tongue weight confused. They are not the same.

Tongue weight
The downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler. In most cases, it is about 10 to 15 percent of the GTW. To tow safely, the tongue weight must be sufficiently positive when the trailer is empty and/or when fully loaded. Check the height of the tow vehicle's bumper before and after loading. If the loaded trailer doesn't drop the height of the bumper by at least another inch, then reposition your load with more weight in the front of the trailer.

A 300lb shack on a trailer does not equal 300lbs of tongue weight. 

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:36 AM »
Sounds like you are getting gross trailer weight and tongue weight confused. They are not the same.

Tongue weight
The downward force exerted on the hitch ball by the trailer coupler. In most cases, it is about 10 to 15 percent of the GTW. To tow safely, the tongue weight must be sufficiently positive when the trailer is empty and/or when fully loaded. Check the height of the tow vehicle's bumper before and after loading. If the loaded trailer doesn't drop the height of the bumper by at least another inch, then reposition your load with more weight in the front of the trailer.

A 300lb shack on a trailer does not equal 300lbs of tongue weight.

no I have them right... The shack weighs 1700lbs, there is 300lbs on a tounge. I weighed everything at a local trucking company on their pallet scale...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Since you have a straight rear axle I wouldn't worry about adjusting shocks. I don't see why you would have much of a problem since I watch my local boat dealer pulling good sized walleye boats around with a riding lawn tractor.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Since you have a straight rear axle I wouldn't worry about adjusting shocks. I don't see why you would have much of a problem since I watch my local boat dealer pulling good sized walleye boats around with a riding lawn tractor.

yea I went out and looked at my machine and didnt see how the shock would be affected by the tounge weight.... maybe with independant rear suspension rigs its more important. But i would like to stiffen it up a bit, since day one i wanted to... Just one of those things you always think about but never have time to do ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:53 PM »
I have IRS and  tighten my shocks in the fall in case I pull my wheelhouse with it. Unless I do this before my son sits on thr rear, rack the only thing my headlights are good for is hunting spotted owls.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:08 AM »
I have IRS and  tighten my shocks in the fall in case I pull my wheelhouse with it. Unless I do this before my son sits on thr rear, rack the only thing my headlights are good for is hunting spotted owls.  :o

'Spotting owls"-That was funny :thumbsup:
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline jaw jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2013, 03:57 PM »
get a can-an outlander and go ;D
work is for those who dont know how to fish

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:39 PM »
get a can-an outlander and go ;D

Actually they're called Can-Am more commonly known as canned ham a.k.a. the rotten meat they sell called spam.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.