The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pre icefishing season question  (Read 5077 times)

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
Pre icefishing season question
« on: Nov 19, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Since it will be a little while before we can brag about the fish we caught through the ice...I thought we could brag about any hunting success we might have had this fall.  Anyone have a good tale?

I've been duck hunting a lot this fall and last weekend we had at least 1000 ducks circling the cornfield we were in.  It was quite a sight to see.  We only shot a few since it was right before sunset.  But it was totally worth the view, I didn't care if we shot 1 or not.  Did get some nice pheasants that day though.

Deer hunting east river this weekend and hoping for the best.

Praying for some arctic blasts to freeze this H2O. 

Mr.G

Re: Pre icefishing season question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2004, 09:35 PM »
Shot a real nice buck this weekend east river deer.  Real nice 5x5 - bout 18" spread - tall and heavy - only real hunting i have done this fall.  No waterfowl so far - hopefully sometime - just waitin for the ice now....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2004, 08:52 PM »
I  have been hunting a lot of upland birds. I shot my first sharptail this past weekend. Kinda funny looking. My dog has finally figured out what he is doing and we have been doing great.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2004, 09:10 PM »
my first year pheasant hunting and havent had much luck. As for deer my youth tag isnt until dec.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2004, 06:04 AM »
Heres a story. Dog and I are walking this ground right next to standing corn. This rooster takes off over the corn. I knock it down into the corn. I dont have permission in the corn so i leave the gun. We are looking and see all kinds of feathers, Dog is snuffling along following the bird. We spot it a cross a couple rows ahead of us. Dog shoots up there and bird takes off flying. He cant fly well and dog is chasing it. They go out of sight for a couple minutes. I doubt dog gets it out of midair but he comes running back with roostie in his mouth. I imagine that the bird came down and he grabbed it there. I could have shot it again easy if I had had the gun.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2004, 12:08 PM »
I am going to try to post a pic of the buck I got last weekend,  have never posted a pic before so bear with me while i try this out.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2004, 01:18 PM »
I got lucky hunting this weekend.  Actually got this on public land.  If it doesn't work I will try it again.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2004, 01:24 PM »
Looks like the 1st try didn't work.  You'll get it soon enough.  Lots of birds moving last night and today, should be some good hunting over the next couple weeks, looks like freeze up is nearing.  I'm going to try and bust as many birds as I can before the ice fever sets in.  Got my WR deer taken care of, so other than a bow tag, I am ready to fish.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2004, 01:49 PM »
I am going to keep trying until I get this right, hang on.

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2004, 01:54 PM »
can you guys see 2 of these deer pics, 1, or none?  I can see both of them, thanks for the input. 

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2004, 07:39 PM »
i can see both of them. how big is it? what county?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2004, 08:03 PM »
That is a very fine buck you got. Did you take a rough score of it? Also, how long were the tines?
Ken                                          

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2004, 10:25 PM »
Nice deer!!!!!  First time you posted the pic, it didn't show up, now they both show up.  I can't tell how wide he is, but I'd have to say taht 155 should be in the ballpark.  I shot one last year, not as wide or thick, but with about the same tines, and he was in the 140 or so range.  Either way, sweet deer, is he going on the wall??

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2004, 08:22 AM »
one of the brow tines was busted or it would have scored around 154, otherwise I came up with 148.  I was hunting this little 80 acre public land in northern SD.  I saw him dancing with some does on the private land adjacent.  Watched him for a while and he crossed the fence to the public ground.  It was an easy shot at about 150 yds but I got very lucky because 2 other guys were hunting him on the private land not more than 400 yards away. 

I'm sure you guys have had some luck this fall (pheasants, ducks, geese, fishing, ect.) brag a little, we have keep up some conversation because I'm afraid it might be a while before we can brag about the hardwater fishing...but I hope I'm wrong.

Offline dldeadstick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NW Angle Blizzard
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Had a good waterfowl season, but missed a big buck on Saturday.  Here's a few pics from waterfowling this fall in ND.

Opener of early canada season (very wet and rainy day - couldn't get the trailer back out and barely even got the pickups into the field to pick up the dekes)

Still in early season, a limit of 15 canadas in 30 minutes - one of the best goose shoots of my life

Opener of regular waterfowl season - first time I took a snow goose on opener

A good duck shoot

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2004, 01:42 PM »
Nice pics of the birds.  Are you guys frozen up there yet, this latest little cold spell has moved a lot of birds down and most of the potholes are frozen, but the small lakes are still at least partially open.  If the temps can stay where they are forecasted, should be able to fish in a couple weeks.  Until then I am going to hit the geese and ducks hard, going to have to start hitting the fields and moving water.

Offline dldeadstick

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NW Angle Blizzard
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Bigger water is still open, potholes are all frozen.  In fact I decoyed some geese last Friday and there was lots around, but while deer hunting this past weekend I didn't notice a lot of birds going from roost to feed and vice versa so this cold weather may have pushed them south.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2004, 05:59 PM »
nice geese and ducks

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Thats a dandy buck. I have some doe tags for Marshall county. I was hunting there opening day. I had 3 bucks walk up and stare at me from less than 80 yds. Can you beleive that? I never saw a doe all day, at least while not in the pickup. I decided to just shoot a deer in IA, tag is cheaper than gas to get back to Marhsall county. Wow is that a long haul at 3am.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2004, 01:53 PM »
my youth tag is for turner county. i cant wait. only about 2 weeks now!

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:16 PM »
Nice birds DL, we hunted for geese all weekend but they just flew all around our field and not over it.  Good thing there are plenty of pheasants around.  Its snowing in SE SD right now, bring on the ice because hunting is about over and my girlfriend might think something is wrong if I am home on the weekends. 

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2004, 11:04 PM »
Had a good season hear in west river. I got a 5x5 whitetail with a spread of 23 1/2 inches. Biggest buck for me so far. It won't score great because of a broken brow tine. My cousin got one here on the ranch Sat. that was 5x5 , 19.5in. spread , and the thing had 13 in. G3 tines. Huge mass.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.