Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 305841 times)

Offline icefishingOhionut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mr. Buddy Heater- grill set up
« Reply #210 on: Dec 14, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Ohionut

I am from Dayton, Ohio moved to Antioch, IL in the late 80's.  I still bleed scarlet and gray.

Go Buckeyes!

Buckeye Fan

AMEN AMEN my friend!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #211 on: Dec 14, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Excellent post, Sir!!!!  :clap: :thumbsup:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #212 on: Dec 14, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I've seen several different versions of buddy/grill conversions, and this one is by far one of the cleanest/nicest looking!  Well done.

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Dec 14, 2011, 02:44 PM »
That is a great small adaptation w/ minimal impact but great outcomes. I have a grill great very similar to that. The only thing I'm missing is the heater!!!!   End of season sales are the best!!!
http://

Offline ilarcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Nice!!! I will be doing this as soon as my new heater gets here, which should be tomorrow.
Outdoor nut. Love to hunt, fish, camp.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #215 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Did this last winter, great mod. Nothing like warm food on the ice. Theres a thread here somewhere with all kinds of setups like this. Nice work. :tipup:
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Trooper Bri

« Reply #216 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Project threads rule!

Offline gatergetter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Any problems with drippings getting on the heater, or flame ups from grease?

Offline Buckeye Fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:14 PM »
I don't know yet we just made them yesterday.  That's why I was asking guys about what they cook on their grills and how they heat food up foil, aluminum pans? How do they keep drippings out of the grill?

Buckeye Fan

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:35 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132730.0

Here is the thread on this topic, lot's of good info and different types of setups.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #220 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:49 PM »
alum. foil rules!  wrap a brat,sliced onion&peppers and let it grill away.
PIPE BOMBS-sliced chicken/meat,sliced anything,pepper/seasoning.  make a double layered pouch with foil-throw it all in pouch with touch of butter/oil,tablespoon of water and roll& seal foil tightly on edges.throw on grill or coals of a fire. will puff up when almost done.  make some up at home and bring out.   we've made leftover anything in these too.  make sure to add the water,keeps it from burning.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #221 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:51 PM »
nice set-up too.sorry

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #222 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:18 AM »
Great ideas guys!

TType86, brilliant, I think you achieved the ultimate in simplicity. I am totally replicating your setup.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:18 AM »
I have a big buddy and modified it so I can lay it on it's back and cook directly on the grill, it works great and it doesn't go out if it gets bumped.  I'm sure your not supposed to do this for safety reasons but I've used it for 2 seasons with out any problems.

Offline oronocofisher00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #224 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:44 AM »
What are the support arms? This mod is really nice and clean looking. gonna be making a run to ace this afternoon for other goodies may as well pick up this grill rack and support arms as well!

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Hey All,  followed this thread since last season.   I bought the paint roller item but never got a chance to build it.   But I was at the big "C" store a couple of weeks ago and came across a perfect solution.   It is a double wide spatula, they still have it on their website for like $12, grill pro wide head spatula.   But I bought one and brought it home,  it fit perfectly on the buddy heater.  I didn't even have to adjust it at all and it balanced right on it.    Here are some photos,  I drilled a simple hole through the spatula and then the handle of the buddy and one D-ring later it is attached.    I am looknig at maybe riveting a lip on it but for now it holds the little weber trays perfect.    Plus you have a spatula at hand if you ever need it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Possibly rivet a lip on the outside edge not sure yet.

After some testing how did she perform?...really like this modification and would love to do the same. Thanks.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #226 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:26 AM »
I would definatly attach that extra lip.... last thing you want is to lose your lunch on the ice/floor.........Great idea!!! I am going to go out on a limb and say that is the most versatile and creative cooking mod yet...!!!!!!! ;D
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #227 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I've been looking all over for the Cooking grid. I found this one but it doesn't say GrillMark It is GrillLife I am thinking they changed the name on them. Does this look like what you bought? And is the price the same or close?
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/GRILL_MARK_SMALL_UNIVERSAL_CHROME_PLATED_COOKING_G_p/gri8189250.htm
<===Lefty===

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:31 AM »

After some testing how did she perform?...really like this modification and would love to do the same. Thanks.
thats the bomb brother :),sweet set up imo.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #229 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:41 AM »
The metal spatula will transfer heat which is resting on the plastic handle of your buddy heater, be carefull not to melt it.
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #230 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:06 PM »
The metal spatula will transfer heat which is resting on the plastic handle of your buddy heater, be carefull not to melt it.

Yes I agree. I have a big buddy as well as the new style "buddy". When I setup the big buddy with the grate touching the handle, heat did transfer to the handle after an extended amount of time. Just have to be careful. Thats what I like about the new style buddy. The handle folds down and I was able to eliminate the grate touching the handle.

Offline Buckeye Fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #231 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Here is a link to Ace Hardware for the grill.  They should be available at any Ace Hardware Store.  The adjustable grill was around $13 or $14 dollars not $25 at Fred's Music & BBQ Store.

Buckeye Fan

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=8189250

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #232 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:14 PM »
It's been said before but bears repeating, this is more of a reheating of cooked food modification than it is a cooking from scratch one.  You'd be way ahead of the game to purchase a screw on propane burner for that purpose. :tipup:

Offline Buckeye Fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #233 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Fisher00,

The support rods are called pencil rod which is used to hang drop ceilings.  Try Menards or Home Depot they should have it in stock.

Buckeye Fan

Offline Dustdevil21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:27 PM »
mmmmm.....Coffee!  Small little coffee pot should work just fine on there!  Great idea!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #235 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Fisher00,

The support rods are called pencil rod which is used to hang drop ceilings.  Try Menards or Home Depot they should have it in stock.

Buckeye Fan

Thanks I will check the bigger Ace in another town tonight.  As for Home Depot I will have to wait it is 65 Miles away.
<===Lefty===

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #236 on: Dec 15, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Nice work Buckeye! Now who wants to split a grill with me?
Fish on!

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Yes I agree. I have a big buddy as well as the new style "buddy". When I setup the big buddy with the grate touching the handle, heat did transfer to the handle after an extended amount of time. Just have to be careful. Thats what I like about the new style buddy. The handle folds down and I was able to eliminate the grate touching the handle.

Thanks guys,  I have cooked with the spatula to try it out a few times and got home tonight to check but didn't see any melting of the handle yet.  I was just reheating food in the tray so it wasn't on for that long.   But to be safe I may just add a simple high heat rubber washer or piece of oven mitten or even wrap insulating tape between the handle of the spatula where the d-ring is.   That should be a simple way to keep the heat off the plastic buddy handle.  The nice thing about the d-ring is i just need to punch a hole in the fabric and it will be held in place or through the hole of the washer.   Next time I fire it up I see how much heat is up there, thanks for the reminder.

I am going to rivet on the lip this weekend because there is never level snow/ice so don't want the tray to slide off.   

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #238 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:18 PM »
today I added a grilling set up on my big buddy mr heater (will get pics soon).... I will use it to heat food up and not really to cook it... Anyways I have it hooked up onder the handle and it will get hot. I am banking on getting ahold of heat resistant tape or something at work..I only need a few inches of it.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #239 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:11 PM »
I didnt notice the handle becoming hot until I was heating up my clam chowder in an aluminum bread container. Seemed like the edge of the grate was what was transferring the heat to the handle. I had the container touching the left edge of the grate and it was as if the container with food was warming the edge of that grate on the left side then tranferring that heat to the handle on the left side only. Does that make sense lol  ;D. Without the container and the soup warming, it never got hot at all even after 20 min. Im sure if you arent heating it up long it will be fine, just have to keep an eye on it if its being heated for a long time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.