Author Topic: Ready for spring  (Read 1543 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ready for spring
« on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:18 AM »
I fish the rivers in early spring and late fall, I bust out the boat once the lakes warm up a bit for trout, muskie and bass.

While I love ice fishing its a lot more work vs the other two types of fishing, I think I'm ready for spring to be here.

How about you?
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ready for spring
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:20 AM »
I’m ready for some 20 degree weather so i can get some ice fishing in. This past month has been brutal. But it is a lot easier to do a little fishing on open water.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:26 AM »
I'm ready.  There's now like 2 feet of snow here.  I'm down taking to very short walks to ice fish.  I can't wait to hop on the kayak.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:57 AM »
Didn't go much this year and can't wait for open water. It is going to be June before I get the boat out though. The winds have really been bad here lately and I just hate the wind more than anything else.
<===Lefty===

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:54 AM »
I'm ready.  I should probably say I'm ready to get ready.   :)

We have had a good ice fishing season, with an excellent overnight, two great on-ice dates and a new PB for the wife, and my first on-ice panfishing experience, but I had a bad knee season.

As soon as I determined that I had gone out for the last time this ice season, I started looking at the boat differently.  I guess I find a lot of enjoyment in prepping and planning.  Our primary boat season is May/June, and it's all booked up.

Yup, I'm ready to kick back, grill a burger, and listen to my wife giggle and laugh as a big fish strips line off her reel.

We've been sharing vacuum-sealed, frozen fillets with family and friends.  I smoked a nice batch of trout yesterday, and the stock in the freezer is at a good level.  Snow pack and water content are at a good place so far this water year, which bodes well for my reservoirs.  Life is good.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Bryce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I hate for the ice to melt because then I have to start swatting mosquitoes and I can't walk to anywhere I want to go on the lakes.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Still enjoying the ice season and would love to see it last another month or two....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2019, 11:35 AM »
i leave the ice march 15 every year.i get the long rods  out for spring steelhead.its a great feeling going from my 24" panfish rods to 12ft centerpin rods and having a angry silver steelhead on the other end.i love all season and species to fish for but im not a fan of the dog days of summer.but even then sitting on the river at night waiting for a big flathead take a 6" gill is fun too.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I'm ready, in fact I'm heading to Alabama this coming week to go crappie fishing

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:16 PM »
After the day I had this afternoon, I'm ready. Decided to walk out in 25-30 mph wind, and 1-2ft deep snow drifts. That was a good workout, then my cousin tried to drive his Suburban out, and instantly got stuck at the launch. Spent hours trying to dig him out, and another couple hours waiting for a tow. Of a planned 4 hours of fishing, managed to get 1 in.

I can't wait to walk down to the dock, lower the boat in from the lift, and drive out.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Boat fishing is ten times the work of ice fishing. All I do to clean my ice shack is flip it over and kick the bottom. Boats need constant care.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Not yet, best has yet to come. We'll easily be walking on ice into mid april im guessing.
March perch prespawn ice fishing up here is incredible.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:06 AM »
Boat fishing is ten times the work of ice fishing. All I do to clean my ice shack is flip it over and kick the bottom. Boats need constant care.

Woah, I think that depends on your style of ice fishing and boat fishing.  The boat has one internal combustion engine that needs care.  My snowmobiles and auger add up to three.  Both seasons have some things to dry out after each trip, but there is certainly more clothing involved in the winter.  For summer, I have two rod/reel setups to maintain, and the same for my wife=4.  For ice fishing, his and hers x 5 = 10.

For me it is the other way around, but probably not x 10.

Fun discussion.

IMO

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2019, 12:38 AM »
If you have to use a sled, then ice fishing would be more work. Sleds are, maintenance intensive, to put it mildly.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2019, 01:43 AM »
I'm not, hope the ice last until April in pa! I have a landscape business  and not much time for fishing in the spring and summer.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:21 AM »
as much as I love ice fishing I am ready for Spring and summer. if it wasn't for the 2 to 3 feet of snow on the lakes then the 3 feet of ice under that snow I would still be chasing gills and crappies. had to take time out to fix the snowmobile too so that cut into my fishing time. if that wasn't bad enough I messed up my left shoulder trying to get the snowmobile started a couple days ago (forgot to turn off the master gas valve going to the three cylinders and the motor flooded (common on the Polaris triples is what I have been told when you shut them off and don't turn the supply valve off) and wouldn't start). now I am afraid the messed up shoulder will keep me from bow hunting turkeys this spring, which sucks because I was looking forward to that. just don't want to risk wrecking the shoulder completely so I can't do nothing.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:33 AM »
I’ll take more ice fishing.  I can open water fish for nine months or more.  A few years ago, I didn’t get to ice fish at all thanks to the weather.  I’ll enjoy the ice to the fullest until it’s finally gone, but when it’s gone, I’ll be gearing up for open water at breakneck speed! lol
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2019, 11:28 AM »

Boat fishing is ten times the COST of ice fishing, not as much the work.
Now if you were swimming in the water and dragging your boat out to the fishing spot, maybe....

Boat work is more pre and post outing maintenance.
Ice fishing work is more constant and consistent DURING the outing.

SO...with this in mind, the "act of fishing" is more work on the ice. The "act of getting on and off the water" will be more work for a boat.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2019, 03:05 PM »
I love the late ice bite for gills, crappie and perch. Nothing like it imo. Love those 50 to 60 degree days on the ice and usually the fish are biting very well that time of year. Based on current conditions, this looks to be at least a few weeks out. I'm looking forward to the spring perch and walleye fishing in the boat but I also know that means summer is right around the corner which means bugs, heat and humidity.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Ive been getting out ~4 times a week and could still use another month or two of ice fishing  ;D
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:06 PM »
My boat runs a 200 hp outboard, do a lot of traveling on the water.
Just fuel alone is way more expensive than ice fishing.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline HardIce32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:16 PM »
Bring on the cold!!!!!!!!!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2019, 09:34 PM »
My boat runs a 200 hp outboard, do a lot of traveling on the water.
Just fuel alone is way more expensive than ice fishing.

I guess you can be a "bucket dude" minimalist or internal combustion adventurer, in Summer or Winter...

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Youre right Good way of explaining it.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 26, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Bury this thread!  Plenty of time left!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I've had a good ice season (month long), I wouldn't mind some open water walleye and prespawn crappies. But Looking at the forecast, there's another month or more of ice for us. I'm really just getting tired of the inconsistent weather that is making fishing so tiring.. snow, rain, slush, cold, wind, snow, rain, slush cold, wind, and repeat.. every day is a different condition.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Ice fishing until April...Fingers crossed :thumbsup: :icefish:
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.