Author Topic: When did ebay...  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
When did ebay...
« on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:38 PM »
When did ebay start charging the buyer to purchase items......at this point screw ebay.....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: When did ebay...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:52 PM »
When did ebay start charging the buyer to purchase items......at this point screw ebay.....

They dont. Maybe you got a charge from paypal for using your credit card through them? They do charge a fee for that. Some banks give you a charge for transfers too.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2019, 09:22 PM »
I just sold an old laptop to a gentleman in the state of Washington and believe eBay collected a 10% tax for the state which the buyer had to pay....

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:06 AM »

I have never been charged a fee from Ebay or Paypal as a buyer. (just made several purchases this week.)  Yes a seller will pay some fees.  Yes, Ebay and any other on-line seller is required to collect state sales taxes.  In the case of an Ebay purchase, Ebay will collect this sales tax, rather than the individual seller.

What "lable" was given for this fee you paid?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:18 AM »
eBay collects sales tax on some states, not all. I think they are being pressured to do all states

Offline Iceoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Seems Fishy? ;)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:02 AM »
Made a purchase last week no additional fee's, + free shipping. Maybe it's a State thing.

WS

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I didn't know that ebay automatically took sales tax, that's strange. When listing it asks what states and what % that you want to collect from, that I do know. Ebay isn't handling the sales so I don't see how it could possibly take the tax unless it made the buyer pay an extra 10% to you, its the sellers responsibility (if a business) to collect sales tax and pay back the state. If ebay is taking a sales tax from personal sales and is not the seller of the item, that is fraud.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Order total

Subtotal
$39.99
Shipping
Free
Tax
$2.40
Total
$42.39

Order placed on
Monday, Feb 11, 2019
take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:30 AM »
The seller collected sales tax, as required by law if you are a registered business. Personal sales do not require collection of sales tax in Iowa.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:36 AM »
eBay collects sales tax on some states, not all. I think they are being pressured to do all states

Iowa passed that law, every business selling and shipping something to someone in Iowa needs to collect Iowa sales tax. It used to be only if the online business has a physical location in the state it would need to collect sales tax, now our state wants their 6% from EVERYONE. Good law in principle... more money for our state and schools and all and makes more people shop locally since you are paying the tax either way, but just makes it harder and harder for small businesses to sell online. Now you have to research and see which states you need to collect sales tax from, then file and write a check to each state.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:44 AM »

Kevin,  I made the image larger for better viewing .

Ebay collected the tax.  Yes the seller was a business.  Not doubt Ebay has done their homework and knows exactly what has to be done to comply with the ever changing laws and regulations. 
take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:49 AM »

Kevin,  I made the image larger for better viewing .

I have to believe that is only for Ebay Business accounts, otherwise it's illegal like I said... if you buy from a personal page and have to pay sales tax, be sure to save that invoice.. I can believe there will be a class action lawsuit if that is the case.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Yes Kevin,  I modified my post with additional information.  Unfortunately my typing skills are not as quick as your typing.  Just trying to present information without speculation and accusations.
take care,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2019, 11:42 AM »
I did some digging in my ebay account, there is an option to collect sales tax for your records or ebay will do it for you on the business account. You can also collect tax on personal accounts if you are a business selling on a personal account.. but there is no option for ebay to collect tax on my personal account (a good thing!)

I see no mention or setting or anything that says ebay will charge a fee to buyers. It must be sales tax or a credit card fee that Agronomist had charged. Of course as sellers we get the "bend over" fee on all of ours sales.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.