Author Topic: Who's up for Uintas trip in December? PICS ADDED 12-30-17  (Read 6415 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
We did it last season in March and the snow depth was HUGE.  Might be better early in the season, as in December.  The Christmas/New Years break week has been suggested.  I'm good with that.  So, what say all y'all?  Should we go for it?

I always prefer going on weekdays because I'm retired.  A few others are as well.  But many of you are still working and have to make weekends work.  And some of you might just have that week 26 (Tue) - 29 (Fri) Dec scheduled off  (or part of it).  So, sound off and let me know what you think about a date.  I'm good with anything y'all decide or can make work for the majority.

Let's do this.   ;D
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Who's up for Uintas trip in December?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 02:33 PM »
Dec 26th thru Dec 30th works for me. Also have Jan 1st thru Jan 6th set aside for as much fishing time as I can get in...wherever I can find ice.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:17 PM »
Don't count me as 100% quite yet but the break in between Christmas & new years would be best
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:53 AM »
I'd like to go as well, but have family up during that time frame so I may not be able to join in the fun... Later J

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:29 AM »
I am interested.  Won't know for sure until it gets a little closer.

December 29th would work best for me I think, but can make almost anything work.

We thinking about Whitney again?
Still learning...

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Ok so I just ordered the 28in flighted extension for my nils 8in convertible. Maybe we should go in march again  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2017, 05:20 PM »
I agree, two trips    ;D
Still learning...

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Here are some lake choices along with pertinent data on them.  All of them are above 9,000 feet MSL.  The distance to them is about 15 miles max at the most.  We didn’t catch a lot of fish at Whitney last season, but that could have been due to shortened fishing times from all the faux pas’ we had during that trip.  I would vote for the Trial/Washington lakes for the December trip.

Alexander Lake would be the shortest trip at 10 miles with about 3.5 miles ungroomed.  Has anybody ever fished it for the brook trout in there?  Think about it and let me know what you think about these choices.

From the BR Lodge to Whitney Reservoir (9,260 ft MSL) is about 13 miles, with maybe 85% of it groomed trails.  It is stocked with rainbow, tiger, and cutthroat trout.

From the Kamas side closure gate to Trial Lake (9,820 ft MSL) and/or Washington Lake (9,980 ft MSL) it is about 14 miles, with over 95% of it groomed trial.  TL is stocked with cutthroat trout and grayling; WL is stocked with brook and cutthroat trout.

From the Kamas side closure gate to Alexander Lake (9,360 ft MSL) it is just under 10 miles with about 65% of it groomed trail.  It is stocked with brook trout.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2017, 12:35 PM »
 Does Trial lake have Grayling in it? That might be a fun species to try and target as well as tiger trout. I would probably be a game in March, but December might break my budget this year.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Would love to have you come join us Joe.  Right now, I'm just trying to put something together on Dec 29, 2017.  I'll work on a March trip sometime on February; stay tuned.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2017, 06:55 PM »
Bob,
  I’m good for any of them but prefer the ones that are easier to get to. (Trail)

Washington sounds good.  If anyone has any recommendations on where we would catch the most, that is what I am interested in.

Still learning...

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:07 AM »
I will need some real intel from anybody who's fished any of these lakes through the ice in order to make an informed decision.  I know a few have made the early trips in before snow prevented driving cars/trucks to the lakes.  Do Trial/Washington lakes produce through the ice?  And has anybody ever fished Alexander through the ice.  Reports on Alexander are few and far between and the drive in via automobile is supposed to be tough (steep and rocky).  Anybody ever been to Alexander in the winter season?
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Well I know for sure trial does, me and Icecutterion fished there the day before veterans day. Washington is just behind trial and there was a report on bft from a guy that didn't have the best luck there but was catching fish. So both those lake are good for hard deck.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2017, 02:09 PM »
I've tried to get back up and see how the ice is since the recent 45+ temp days but couldn't get to the lakes because of the amount of snow on the roads. I did see one report on Facebook that the lakes are all slush covered and ice is iffy with all the snow on top weighing it down. This week will be very cold so it will freeze right back up.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Just took a look at the camera up on top.  There is very little snow up there and temps have been bitter up there, so we should be golden by the 29th.

So who's in for sure?  Besides me.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2017, 09:47 PM »
I am still in for Dec 29th. Will likely be the first time running the snowmobile I picked up.  Have we decided on the lake yet? The only one I have fished is Trial and we did great, but I am open to any of them.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Me and fishon1 will be going for another ride up Monte Cristo tomorrow morning to see how his sled does. We'll let you know asap for the 29th
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2017, 08:57 AM »
Have we decided on the lake yet?
My plan is to ride in from the Kamas gate after breakfast in Kamas and go to Trial a/o Washington Lakes.  They are close enough together that we can try both on the same trip if needed.  We could have a couple of folks on each to start and compare success.  Checking on eateries in Kamas, it looks like only 2 of them are open at 7 AM and one of them is pricey - breakfast with beverage will run about $13 or more.  The other (Cutting Board at 54 N. Main) doesn't have a web site to check their menu/prices, but the reviews say the food is very good and the prices are reasonable.  I would suggest we all gather there (the Cutting Board) at 7 AM for breakfast and go from there.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:05 AM »
I’m in, and may have the wife join us.  I still need to test run the sleds, but have been waiting for more snow.  Is Monty easily accessible now or do you still have to ride the side of the road?
Still learning...

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:36 AM »
Click this link for the current view at the gate/parking lot. I wouldn't say it's the best but doable for now. I would recommend going asap as that snow is going quick. You can ride the road now. The packed down stuff on the road should hold out as alot have been riding on it. The places where people are peeling out will be melting to pavement. Can't guarantee what's around the corner and up out of the camera view but will put up a report when we get back. Heading up in about an hour

http://udottraffic.utah.gov/1_devices/sr-39-mp36.gif
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Okay Guys & Gals; who's in?  So far its me and Utahguy and maybe his bride.  I'd like to get at least 4 sleds going to have some safety in numbers.  The plan is to meet at The Cutting Board (54 N. Main St) in Kamas at 7AM for breakfast and then trailer to the gate on SR 150.  Snowmobile the 14 miles to Trial Lake and fish.  I need some names, so sound off.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Its looking like me and fishon1 are in. Better hope for more snow or its going to be wheelers only getting up in there. I can see plenty of snow on the cam at the top, but I'm pretty sure its all pavement at the gate and no telling how far up

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I'm still in as long as there's enough snow for the snowmobile.

Offline Utahguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:46 PM »
I’m still in as long as we can use snowmobiles.  I don’t own a wheeler...
Still learning...

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:13 PM »
That's 5 so we're a go.  I'll take a drive up to the gate to check it out right after Christmas.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Sounds good Bob, looks like the back part of this storm might hit again up there again today. Of course the cam on top went down last night. If the kamas side looks like the wyoming side we should be good. Here's the cam from the wyo side

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Looks like a fun trip, but if it were me, I'd head a bit further east and hit Marsh.  Was there Tuesday and could still get in via truck (possibly not able to now though).  10" ice and big rainbows available.
S.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Hey sorenson thanks for the intel. How was the snow down by the gate? could one ride up from there on a sled? I'm guessing if you were still driving in there on tuesday the road below and down to the gate was probably down to black top or was it just snow packed from the trucks going up. Thanks
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:08 PM »
It was all snow from the state line.  Some packed, some just tracks.
No gate; just a cattle guard.
At the time there was also easy access to Stateline Reservoir and Bridger Lake. 

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2017, 05:55 AM »
SR150 (Mirror Lake Highway) is officially closed which means it will not be plowed anymore.  Grooming hasn't started yet and the last report from the Utah Snowmobile Assoc. was on Dec 13th.  The forecast for Kamas is snow today through Monday  (with a winter weather advisory in effect until 4PM today).  I plan on driving up for a look at conditions on Wednesday.  Stay tuned.  I'm fairly certain, that with this forecast, we will have enough snow for snowmobiles from the normal trailer unloading area all the way to the top.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.