Author Topic: Best mono leader line  (Read 1663 times)

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best mono leader line
« on: Feb 18, 2019, 07:08 AM »
To start, I am a bass/pickeral fisherman and I am looking for your thoughts on the toughest most transparent leader line for mainly bass fishing. Test and transparency?

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best mono leader line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:11 AM »
I've had a pretty good year fishing those species primarily myself.  Nothing too specific for me but 15lb flouro has worked just fine. They're not turning their noses to it by any means.  Only had one line snap on a pickerel so far (derby weekend of course)..

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:54 AM »
For bass. And not floro. P line cx premium is the best imo. Super strong.  Limber ties well. Comes in 2 colors. Its thinner than most lines too for its rated test strength
Salmonemia

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:42 AM »
I'd suggest fluoro over mono.  I use 2...seaguar blue label leader and sunline leader material.  sunline is a little cheaper & it comes in bigger spools.  if you're into lots of picks, i'd suggest at least 15-16 lb.

if you're stuck on mono, i'd go a little heavier than fluoro with picks.  so, if you were going with 15-16 lb fluoro, i'd aim more towards 20 lb mono.  Lots of good options for 20 lb mono.  I use trilene xt & trilene big game.

Good luck!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:20 AM »
For bass. And not floro. P line cx premium is the best imo. Super strong.  Limber ties well. Comes in 2 colors. Its thinner than most lines too for its rated test strength

Agreed, this was going to be my suggestion. I only ever used 10 pound. Can’t say I’ve ever broke a fish off because of not enough strength? Never fished a pike lake though
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:32 AM »
I use plain old trilene big game for mono leaders for pike.20 ir 25 pound.pretty tough line for the price.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I was talking to some friends week after having multiple break offs at the hole. New leaders.  I switched to Fluoro for Bass ice fishing 2 seasons ago.  I am going back to mono. My painful experience is to many cut offs at the hole, it just can handle the edge of the with a big fish. Mono is much better at handling the hole edges, larger Bass can be tough just under and on the way up the hole.  Love Fluoro for trolling leader.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Thanks for the info and its what I have been using (floro) but in my past couple outings I have had breakoffs and I think its due to old line, not that I didnt change my leaders at the beginning of the year but I dont know how long I have had the spool I took it off of, summer heat and winter cold will do a number on it I am sure, making it brittle.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:25 AM »
Agreed, this was going to be my suggestion. I only ever used 10 pound. Can’t say I’ve ever broke a fish off because of not enough strength? Never fished a pike lake though
do you use this for bows too? Or just a general purpose line? I use it exclusively on my jig rods, its all I use now.
Salmonemia

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Thanks for the info and its what I have been using (floro) but in my past couple outings I have had breakoffs and I think its due to old line, not that I didnt change my leaders at the beginning of the year but I dont know how long I have had the spool I took it off of, summer heat and winter cold will do a number on it I am sure, making it brittle.

I thought is was due old line as well and possibly brand.  Unfortunately it was not.  I have been watching it closely, for me with the Bass through the ice it is not ideal.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:21 PM »
I use 8 pound p-line, it's the ice hybrid stuff... don't have it in front of me but if memory serves, it's a copolymer line. Been a couple seasons now and have had no troubles, even with the mud darts.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:45 PM »
do you use this for bows too? Or just a general purpose line? I use it exclusively on my jig rods, its all I use now.

No, never. Believe it or not I useto be a bass junky the first half of my career. Nothing beat P-line for a mono IMO. But I use it now still on the 2 bass rods I still have for out behind my house or headed to a buddies camp or Flounder fishing.

Offline tbbjcm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2019, 02:53 PM »
8lb original Stren for bass.   

Offline tbbjcm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2019, 02:58 PM »
I've lost a few pickerel during hook set (which could happen with a higher pound test), but I've caught plenty of bass without issue. 

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:41 PM »
I can tell you what not to use.  ;)

A bit o.t., but the line I was telling you about is Nanofil. It casts really well on the little brook rod that I sometimes use on larger rivers.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2019, 07:31 AM »
I run 6 lb seaguar fluorocarbon on my tip ups.  Sometimes 8 lb.  The red box stuff available most tackle shops.  Comes in a much bigger spool than the blue label (leader material) spool.  I have had plenty of success with it and caught large fish on it.

Keep an eye on it with the pickeral.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I would never use mono...I have been using fireline in 14 to 20 lb test for the last decade...stuff works great...no break offs unless you really hammer it with your pliers getting a fish off or it gets banged up from a pickerel...I like it because when you are setting up its easy to keep straight by just running your fingers up the line...give it a try...3 or 4 foot leaders is what I usually run
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I use whatever is hanging around that I have accumulated over the years. All good name stuff but never lost a fish because of my leader material...

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:57 AM »
I use whatever is hanging around that I have accumulated over the years. All good name stuff but never lost a fish because of my leader material...
wow...that;s awesome you have never lost a fish because of poor leader material...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:44 AM »
For bass and pickerel,  neither of which I find line shy, I use 15 lb Ande pink,for pike, make that 20 lb Ande pink, for normal clear Lake fishing,  I used 8lb Seguar floro, for trout only make that 6, for eggs make it Seguar. 4 floro.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:05 PM »
For bass and pickerel,  neither of which I find line shy, I use 15 lb Ande pink,for pike, make that 20 lb Ande pink, for normal clear Lake fishing,  I used 8lb Seguar floro, for trout only make that 6, for eggs make it Seguar. 4 floro.

I run the pink Ande on my striper surf rods

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:14 PM »

What lb test are you running, and only mono? Trout in my opinion tend to be line shy is why I ask.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:25 PM »
What lb test are you running, and only mono? Trout in my opinion tend to be line shy is why I ask.

Ice fishing braided line with 10’ 6 or 8 lb mono leader and Salmon and trout trolling, lead core with 60’ of 6 or 8lb mono.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:30 PM »
wow...that;s awesome you have never lost a fish because of poor leader material...
I suspect you’re being sarcastic?  ;D
Believe me I’m no expert fisherman but I give it my best shot...
As far as leader material I use what I have just like I said.
In the olden days there weren’t a million choices and we did well...I can’t keep up with the new technologies in line and don’t try.
If a fish is spooked by my line, so be it.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:34 PM »
Toughest line on the planet, stiff  and casts hard, but it can take a beating.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Agreed, I’ve caught every 50 lber. I’ve ever caught on that line. Not sure if the color matters but it’s always been pink

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:29 PM »

Me too. Love that stuff. I am going back to mono for Bass and Pic, no need for fluoro.  I do use fluoro for trout, crappie and whites.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:51 PM »
I suspect you’re being sarcastic?  ;D
Believe me I’m no expert fisherman but I give it my best shot...
As far as leader material I use what I have just like I said.
In the olden days there weren’t a million choices and we did well...I can’t keep up with the new technologies in line and don’t try.
If a fish is spooked by my line, so be it.
not at all..keep your eye on the line, store it correctly and the correct knot it can be done..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.