Author Topic: Canned cat food  (Read 898 times)

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canned cat food
« on: Feb 09, 2024, 05:15 AM »
I found a couple old cans in my garage and was going to chum with it this weekend.  Does anyone know if it floats or sinks? 

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Canned cat food
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2024, 06:12 AM »
I've used some before to chum for smelt, it does sink, some will take forever to sink and clutter your flasher's screen for hours, and the smelt do like that stuff which in return brings lakers chasing the smelt

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:39 AM »
I use it when targeting channel catfish.  Screw a small eyebolt into the can, punch some hole around the sides and top, tie some heavy mono to the eyebolt and send it down the hole.  It takes a while to sink but will eventually hit the bottom. 

Guy who taught me the trick did the same except for the eyebolt and mono.  I just can bring myself to leave the empty can at the bottom of the lake so modified it so I can retrieve my trash when done fishing. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2024, 08:49 AM »
Smelt I used minnow scales and a handful of spikes.  Works really well.  Cats suck and personally I'm nkt touching catfood haha.

For laker chum, 4 doz medium shiners....diced.  Works great.  You may even notice lakers cruising under the ice looking for ypur chunks if its done in the same spot a few times.  That made them super easy to sight fish them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.