Author Topic: Fisherman goes through ice on Winni  (Read 2459 times)

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fisherman goes through ice on Winni
« on: Jan 31, 2024, 04:32 AM »
Channel 9 is reporting a fisherman went through the ice on Winnipesaukee off Leavitt Park. He was lucky that a man driving by spotted him and rescued him.
As we all know, the ice conditions are BAD this year,
This fisherman went out alone and if not for the passerby,  he could have lost his life.
Be careful, bring a spud to chop test holes, never go alone and make it a happy venture - not a disaster.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fisherman goes through ice on Winni
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:00 AM »
Quite a few people have gone through this year. I haven't been eager to get out yet this season. Hopefully a couple times in Feb if it stays cold.

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:28 AM »
Why don’t they do the derby later in Feb? Just curious we go up all the time. Ice making is later these days. I know it’s just not the big lake but would be safer right? Seeing lots of crap ice and open water on the cams. Be safe

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:45 AM »
There is always a big pressure ridge about 100 yards off of Leavitts Beach.  I do not know if that is where he went through or not but it is something for all ice fisherman to make a mental note of.

I'm glad he lived to tell his tale!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2024, 09:56 AM »
Why don’t they do the derby later in Feb? Just curious we go up all the time. Ice making is later these days. I know it’s just not the big lake but would be safer right? Seeing lots of crap ice and open water on the cams. Be safe

Not sure it would really matter this year. Temps don’t look very promising for February so far. I’d imagine they try and pick the same weekend as often as possible to people can plan and rely on the same weekend each year.
Tight Lines!

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:12 AM »
It is what it is use your head and check as you go… all I need is a good 4 inches in the coves so I can put out a couple of tip ups and have a beer

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2024, 01:08 PM »
Down here in Southern NH, I live on the water and I'm working from home this week because I got the 'Vid.  It made ice all during the daytime hours yesterday. Today it just breached 33F at 2PM. Overnight temps look cold for the next week and daytime cold even next week. The season may not be lost yet is what I'm saying.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2024, 03:30 PM »
unfortunate turn of events for that fisherman. Truly sucks glad he's ok.
And yes things aren't ideal this year BUT ....there's been plenty of safe ice to fish all month if you can spend the time looking. I've been on the hard water every weekend since Jan 1, no issues. Every trip on 4-9". Several of those on Winni, 7" last weekend in fact.
Just gotta be smart about it. I'm sick of people whining theres NO ice. I call BS. Work for it, spend that gas money and use that chisel. Simple. Derby will happen no matter what.
I hate to say it but winters arent looking like they were when we were kids. Mother nature has forced us to put in much more effort now.
I know I'm not sitting home looking out the window . Let's hope for some more cold.
Now let's see some more fishing pics  ;D

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2024, 03:56 PM »
unfortunate turn of events for that fisherman. Truly sucks glad he's ok.
And yes things aren't ideal this year BUT ....there's been plenty of safe ice to fish all month if you can spend the time looking. I've been on the hard water every weekend since Jan 1, no issues. Every trip on 4-9". Several of those on Winni, 7" last weekend in fact.
Just gotta be smart about it. I'm sick of people whining theres NO ice. I call BS. Work for it, spend that gas money and use that chisel. Simple. Derby will happen no matter what.
I hate to say it but winters arent looking like they were when we were kids. Mother nature has forced us to put in much more effort now.
I know I'm not sitting home looking out the window . Let's hope for some more cold.
Now let's see some more fishing pics  ;D

Amen brother  :icefish:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2024, 04:53 PM »
As I tell my friends and family every year when I say I'm heading out on the ice.

"I will not press my luck in the hopes of "finding" safe ice to fish."

I only fish waters I have fished plenty of times before, and I STILL check as I go.

There have been quite a few times where I've gone out hoping to fish, only to find sketchy ice, and I've turned around and drove home.
Now some of these trips have been around 2 hours (round trip).

Always stay on the dry side of the ice.

And as always, stay safe!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2024, 04:24 AM »
Bob House went through the ice on Winni yesterday. According to the news  the report shows Bob House went trough just off Long Island. They didn't provide details on exact location (east or west side)
No injuries reported

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2024, 07:08 PM »
I drove up to the big lake today to see for myself what we are dealing with for ice conditions. Used a spud bar and went out about 300 feet or so. Drilled a few holes and it looked like maybe 4 inches of hard ice with 3 inches of frozen slush on top, found 7-8 inches total ice.  There were a couple of Ice huts in the cove and a pop up across the way. I am not totally convinced it is solid enough for a snowmobile, I haven't seen any other tracks out there. Hopefully the ice will continue to build over the next week. Proceed with caution.

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2024, 08:36 PM »
Thanks for report

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2024, 11:30 AM »
thanks for taking the time to check and report. what part of the lake were u on? did u happen to check Meridith?

Offline winnicookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2024, 03:24 PM »
Meredith is not good!

Offline Tjnedz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2024, 07:30 AM »
I did not go to Meredith. The area I checked was in one of the Bays.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2024, 09:40 PM »
HuntnFish603 nailed it.

Ballbag - something to consider is that the days get longer starting December 21 give or take. The sun stays higher longer and that alone puts a hurting on the ice quality. I think back in the days we all were ice fishing by Christmas. Although the weather may be "pushed back" a few weeks (and i agree as an avid duck hunter watching migrations) i also know its REALLY hard to get a good hard black ice to set longer in the season. Not impossible, but tough.

I used to not want to get up to ice fish 4 days in a row 10 minutes from my house with 14" of ice. Then a few years after I was praying for local ice. A few years after that i was hoping i didn't have to drive more than an hour. Years after (here we are now) its getting tough to fiah the big lakes i love so much, 4 hours north.

It sucks. But, I love it and I am willing to drive. Gotta be smart too.
Just add water.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2024, 04:15 AM »
Hey Mike! You been up yet this year?
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2024, 06:48 AM »
Right on sharps…we heading up next week good hearing from ya!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.