Author Topic: Garmin Striker Vivid 5CV Troubleshooting  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
Garmin Striker Vivid 5CV Troubleshooting
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:32 AM »
This weekend my fish finder started acting up and i was wondering if anyone has had similar issues

- When on the charger it turns on just fine, when unit is on the indicator light says charging, when unit is powered down it says fully charged.
- I tested with my buddies battery and wiring harness and the unit turned right on.
- After leaving charging all night by leaving it plugged in while the unit was on my unit would beep when I hit the power button but not actually power on.
- Checked fuse and connections in wiring harness and those appear to be alright.

Is anyone able to point me towards whether this is a battery, wiring harness, or charger issue?

Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Garmin Striker Vivid 5CV Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:04 AM »
I am leaning toward a bad battery and/or charger .When you ran it with your buddy's harness and his battery ...did it perform as normal ? Did you try your buddy's harness and your battery...how did it perform ? Did you try your buddys battery charger to charge your battery ..if so did it change and indicate a full charge . Also I would test your harness and battery on your buddy's unit/set up .

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-C3C9935A-44AD-4A64-8690-B6176625C6BC/EN-US/GUID-285E7872-95CA-464F-AE19-68BF2FCE17B2.html

My device will not turn on or keeps turning off
Devices erratically turning off or not turning on could indicate an issue with the power supplied to the device. Check these items to attempt to troubleshoot the cause of the power issue.

Make sure the power source is generating power.
You can check this several ways. For example, you can check whether other devices powered by the source are functioning.

Check the fuse in the power cable.
The fuse should be located in a holder that is part of the red wire of the power cable. Check that the proper size fuse is installed. Refer to the label on the cable or the installation instructions for the exact fuse size needed. Check the fuse to make sure there is still a connection inside of the fuse. You can test the fuse using a multimeter. If the fuse is good, the multimeter reads 0 ohm.

Check to make sure the device is receiving at least 12 Vdc.
To check the voltage, measure the female power and ground sockets of the power cable for DC voltage. If the voltage is less than 12 Vdc, the device will not turn on.

If the device is receiving enough power but does not turn on, contact GarminŽ product support.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:59 AM »
Check the actual. Battery  voltage, some of those units will not power up if the voltage is EXSESSIVE..
Unless I missed something this happens when left to charge all night..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:43 PM »
If SLA batteries get below a certain low voltage (not sure the actual number) they can be junk and won't charge properly. They will take a charge and appear fully charged, even when using a quality charger (like a NOCO Genius charger), but they won't hold that charge and will be dead as soon as any load is applied.  At work we were having this trouble with some batteries we had in the field and ended up purchasing testers that would do a load and amperage test as well as a voltage test to see if the battery was any good.  Checking voltage alone isn't enough. I would try a new battery before going much further.

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:58 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I just got my hands on a voltage meter and am reading 6.3 on the battery and 12.8 if i have it plugged in to the charger while testing. I guess its time for a new battery. Does anyone have any battery upgrade recommendations? Was thinking about switching to lithium anyway.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:17 AM »
Awesome, thanks a lot. Do you recommend these over dakota lithium?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:27 AM »
Awesome, thanks a lot. Do you recommend these over dakota lithium?

I have two AO 12ah ..one was out of warrantee when it failed to take a charge and they pro rated/discounted a replacement .Good customer service . Cant speak to the Dakota ...Good bad or otherwise

https://www.scheels.com/p/marcum-brute-12v-10ah-lithium-battery-w%2F-3amp-charger-kit/85722400294.html?cgid=search-fishing

Try and recharge often and at room temperature  and do not  discharge them fully . If you have a battery gauge/meter on your unit it may not work accurately...My DD100 on my Vexilar does not read accurately

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:28 AM »
Good to know. If the customer service is good, that is enough for me! I'll give them a shot.

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:31 AM »
I have two AO 12ah ..one was out of warrantee when it failed to take a charge and they pro rated/discounted a replacement .Good customer service . Cant speak to the Dakota ...Good bad or otherwise

https://www.scheels.com/p/marcum-brute-12v-10ah-lithium-battery-w%2F-3amp-charger-kit/85722400294.html?cgid=search-fishing

Try and recharge often and at room temperature  and do not  discharge them fully . If you have a battery gauge/meter on your unit it may not work accurately...My DD100 on my Vexilar does not read accurately

Any chance that youre able to take some dimensions on one of those 12ah when you get a chance? Specs on the website doesnt give any dimension, just trying to see if it will fit in my current ice shuttle.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:34 AM »
Any chance that youre able to take some dimensions on one of those 12ah when you get a chance? Specs on the website doesnt give any dimension, just trying to see if it will fit in my current ice shuttle.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2977/1576/files/AO-4S12.pdf?v=1644428214

Offline Rhansen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2023, 07:37 AM »

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2977/1576/files/AO-4S12.pdf?v=1644428214

Was looking at this exact same spec sheet and looked right past the dims....thanks again for all of the help!

Offline YDIDUC1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.3457741225.0933/st
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2023, 09:22 PM »
I would test the battery on something other than the Garmin. Something that has about 24-48 watts (2-4 amps).
With a device that draws about 24 watts the 12ah battery should last about 5.5-6 hours when new.
If it last less than 2 hours then look for a new battery.
BTW 48 watts on a 12 amp battery should last 2.5-3 hours.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.