Author Topic: We Found Some Action  (Read 2689 times)

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
We Found Some Action
« on: Jan 29, 2023, 02:38 PM »
My girlfriend and I finally got out together yesterday. After an hour and a half of running and gunning, we found a school of feeding whites and were able to take advantage for about 20-30 mins of constant action, after which the school moved on, only to circle back after a half hour for another frenzy. The bigger ones were a little over 1.5lb - so no giants. We kept what we'd be comfortable to carry - about 17lbs - and released the rest. The spicy tacos paired really well with a Sauvignon Blanc when we got home. Hard to beat that stuff.

Out on the ice, we invited a nearby group of guys to share the whites action and my unorthodox, Swedish techniques. It was great fun. Can't wait to get out there again.

Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: We Found Some Action
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2023, 02:57 PM »
Damnnn  ;D nice catch! The whites are fun, when they’re there they’re there. My favorite eating.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2023, 03:43 PM »
Great looking white perch.
Looks delicious!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:37 PM »
Nice Haul, congrats !
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2023, 05:26 PM »
Some of the best ice fishing is when the school of whites keep circling through.... well done - looks like a fantastic day.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:07 PM »
Nice job, I think I saw you going onto the ice while I was leaving,the orange jump suit looks familiar 😂 and the auger.    Place was way to busy by 9, I was looking for some whities but no luck just a laker and some YP. Good to see you found them

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:44 PM »
Congrats on a great day and a good meal!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:54 PM »
Nice job, I think I saw you going onto the ice while I was leaving,the orange jump suit looks familiar 😂 and the auger.    Place was way to busy by 9, I was looking for some whities but no luck just a laker and some YP. Good to see you found them

Thanks everyone!

Fishin_603 - Please don’t judge me by the orange jump suit - even if it’s justified ;) I know I stand out like a sore thumb - it comes with the territory. Thankfully, the whites didn’t discriminate against my suit…at least they didn’t yesterday. Give me a holler next time.

/Fred

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2023, 09:12 PM »
Nice way to get after it and a nice dinner

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:15 AM »
Nice job!

Offline FishingPhotographer

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:32 AM »
Awesome! Now if you two could just lighten up a bit and not look so serious! ;-)
I should’ve chosen Fishin’Mortician as my username… ;-)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:54 AM »
Thats a keeper.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:04 AM »
Nice job w/ the whites!  No spot burn either.  2 thumbs up!   ;D ;D

My girlfriend used to fish w/ me, too....then we got married....hasn't been out w/ me since!   :o

I'm curious about your swedish icefishing techniques.  What do they call those short ice rods?  Match rods or palm rods or something else?  (Sorry, I don't know the correct terms).  What kinds of techniques were working on this trip?

If I see a large swedish man in an orange jumpsuit w/ a short ice rod, I will come over & say hi!   ;D

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Nice job w/ the whites!  No spot burn either.  2 thumbs up!   ;D ;D

My girlfriend used to fish w/ me, too....then we got married....hasn't been out w/ me since!   :o

I'm curious about your swedish icefishing techniques.  What do they call those short ice rods?  Match rods or palm rods or something else?  (Sorry, I don't know the correct terms).  What kinds of techniques were working on this trip?

If I see a large swedish man in an orange jumpsuit w/ a short ice rod, I will come over & say hi!   ;D

Thanks! My techniques? Well, it's not really that different: slightly different spoons than what most people tend to use around here, generally smaller hooks, and the "match rods", "stick rods", "pimple rods" (Pimpelspö in swedish - you can google it). I basically never use bait and I run and gun without electronics. Not using electronics is not a Swedish thing per se, but more about being stuck in my old ways. I would probably catch more with electronics, but I like the element of surprise when the fish hits....not "seeing it" beforehand. The advantage I get (I tell myself at least) from pulling the fish in by hand - since I'm not using a flasher - is that I can get my lure down to the exact same depth after I catch a schooling fish (when the fish is suspended). As with fishing in general - you got to go with what you believe in. And it's been working for me so far.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:03 AM »
Very impressive.  Nice looking pile of whites right there.  Tacos look great too!

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2023, 12:10 PM »
Great day! Looks like a lot fun!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:54 PM »
Definitely a win win... congrats on the catches.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2023, 10:13 AM »
Thats a keeper.

Definitely a keeper!!

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2023, 03:25 PM »
Looks good! Giving me hope to find some ice this weekend with the boys. We usually do an annual derby trip, but house was already rented so we are hitting it a week early this year. Winter has been rough, so we are just hoping for the best. I live north of the lake so assuming less than we have as far as ice goes which is only 6 inches at a lot of ponds. :tipup:

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2023, 03:49 PM »
Nice day on the ice !

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2023, 08:02 AM »
Great day and nice haul of whites! Congrats!

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2023, 11:56 AM »
Awesome work out there!

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2023, 12:12 PM »
Just a tip for the future.  After filleting the fish, I make a cut on both sides of the mud line at an angle, where the very dark red meat is.  Make your cut all the way from the front of the fillet to the tail so that you have a V.  Then grab the V at the tail end and pull toward the head.  You will find that you remove a bunch of red fishing tasting material and it will have bones connected to it.  We call this zippering the fillets.  The fillets will actually break into two parts, leaving a back thicker fillet and a thinner belly fillet.  I think you will find that they will taste much better after getting rid of the mudline and all of the contaminates that collect there.  After doing this, if there is substantial red meat left, I'll take my fillet knife and thinly slice it off.  We use this method on walleye, large perch, large crappie, lake trout, steelhead and any other large game fish.  Hopefully this will make better table fare for those who haven't heard of zippering their fillets.

Great to know - thank you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.