Author Topic: This weather.....  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
This weather.....
« on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:15 PM »
This time last year I was sitting on 12 inches of beautiful ice chasing flags in the Northwest part of our state. This year I am sitting on my deck wearing a sweat shirt grilling a steak. It's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow! Man, this is sad! I can't be the only one feeling cheated this year!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: This weather.....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:21 PM »
Colder weather may be headed your way in near future. We are finally getting in the single digit for several days our here in midwest after the same kind of weather.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2023, 01:23 PM »
Colder weather may be headed your way in new future. We are finally getting in the single digit for several days our here in midwest after the same kind of weather.

Thanks for the encouragement, taxi 1!!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2023, 04:33 PM »
It was -4 degrees last yr. this time in Chicopee,Ma.. I'm shore fishing now..That say Global warming but its it came on to soon to fast......its got to be something else...someones playing around with something else...what do you guys think???? ::) :(

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2023, 07:12 PM »
Without being political I’m not buying into the climate change theory. Yes, it’s been crazy warm but this season ranks 3rd in the record books for warm weathers.  40yrs of ice fishing CT waters under my belt and I can only recall the great seasons with 12-24 inches of ice in eastern CT.  But there were years in the 1980’s, 1990’s and 2000’s where the ice didn’t form just like in 2023.  I just seem to have whipped them out of memory.  The only thing different is we have seen this pattern for 2-3-4 seasons in a row.  Maybe it will shift and maybe it will not.  I’m not complaining.  It is how the weather patterns been running for 1000’s of years.  I’m kind of liking the warmth!!!

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2023, 05:37 AM »
I enjoy ice fishing....I could do  it 365 days a yr.......I started when I was 12 yrs. old.....I'll be 85 in MayThis is the first yr. NO ICE for me. Last yr.I got out around the Chicopee  every other day with ice caught over +50 rainbows and hundreds of pan fish...I jig only with home made rods So you can see what this NO ICE is doing to my way of life :'( :'( I did not know gobal warming was a policial issue....I thought it was a Sci. thing with like 747 dumping huge amounts of CO2 into the air. I wonder if the latest Sci. thing Earth inner Core Stopping has anything to do with it ...tor thr 2  un-known object around the Sun 2 or 3 yrs. ago has anthing to do with NO ICE,,,it is funny that no big NEWS services have not pick up on the mild weather in the east ??? ??? Take care guys

Offline TheOutdoorsmanCT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Avid Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:57 AM »
Ranger275, your not the only one! We had some safe ice to fish on early in the season here in Connecticut and I took advantage of it. I was out almost everyday ice fishing because I knew it’s not a guarantee to have safe ice all winter. Now I’m itching to get back out on the ice just like you all are!

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2023, 03:32 PM »
ya hey.everybody ..yeah big time bummer with the warm weather at this time of year .. would like it but need to punch some holes...hopefully arctic blast will give us some base to  get some local hard water walking in..stay safe

Infiniti

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:49 PM »
Hope nobody is getting their hopes up too much for this arctic blast. The 4-5 days of ice building weather they were predicting last week has now turned into about 2 days of good ice making weather followed by 45 degrees all next week. The only ones getting any ice that might last are in the NW corner or northern/western mass.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:32 PM »
We shall see. I remain hopeful for another chance or two for eyes this Winter.

-Eric

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:50 PM »
We shall see. I remain hopeful for another chance or two for eyes this Winter.

-Eric
     how did you and James do in New hampshire

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:00 PM »
Weather forecast is going to tease us with only a few days unfortunately, but you never know it changes daily. Let’s hope

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2023, 06:45 AM »
It might only be 2 or 3 days of cold but with the negative temperatures predicted for Friday, as long as there's at least a skim coating to protect it from the wind, it has the potential to make 3-4" in just a day. So even if it only lasts a week or two there should be a lot more bodies of water that will be fishable. I know of a couple small river coves I'm excited to be able to get back out on  :tipup:
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:21 AM »
Hey guys, plenty of ice out in the Berkshires, if anyone needs some help just DM me. I just got back from Champlain in Vermont and had close to a foot of good ice in all the coves, the big lake just skimmed over on my way home. Ice has been tough in central Mass last few years which is why I go to Vermont, New York, and New Hampshire every year. I've been out over 15 times nbow this year locally but I'm retired so I can go any time.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:29 PM »
Without being political I’m not buying into the climate change theory. Yes, it’s been crazy warm but this season ranks 3rd in the record books for warm weathers.  40yrs of ice fishing CT waters under my belt and I can only recall the great seasons with 12-24 inches of ice in eastern CT.  But there were years in the 1980’s, 1990’s and 2000’s where the ice didn’t form just like in 2023.  I just seem to have whipped them out of memory.  The only thing different is we have seen this pattern for 2-3-4 seasons in a row.  Maybe it will shift and maybe it will not.  I’m not complaining.  It is how the weather patterns been running for 1000’s of years.  I’m kind of liking the warmth!!!

The earth has been getting warmer for more than 2-3-4 years.  Plenty of people believe it is not caused in major part by human activities, but they have been keeping temperature records long enough to show convincingly that the earth is warmer than ever, and trending warmer still.  We will still have outlying cold weather in areas.

Offline hooper22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2023, 08:49 AM »
The earth has been getting warmer for more than 2-3-4 years.  Plenty of people believe it is not caused in major part by human activities, but they have been keeping temperature records long enough to show convincingly that the earth is warmer than ever, and trending warmer still.  We will still have outlying cold weather in areas.

Quite a bit longer!

As we watch glaciers around the world recede, we sometimes hear the argument that these changes are part of the Earth's natural fluctuation. To some extent, they are.

We've been in a relatively stable and warm period for at least 15,000 years.

The last of the five major ice ages, called the Pleistocene glaciation, began about 1.5 million years ago. It is thought to be caused in part by the Earth getting less of the sun's warming radiation — because of the pull of other planets in our solar system.

The Pleistocene glaciation contained at least 20 ice fluctuations within it, in which ice advanced and receded. Sometimes, up to 30% of Earth was covered in ice.

At times this included the better part of North America — California became almost completely entombed in ice. Today, evidence of the glacial takeover can be found as far down as southern California's San Bernardino Mountains.
When this ice age ended 15,000 to 25,000 years ago, the Earth entered an interglacial warm period. This is the period that we live in today and the climate that allowed modern humans to begin our worldwide colonization.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Bla bla bla

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:22 AM »
Please don't turn this into a climate change argument. :nono: I would enjoy seeing California entombed in ice however.

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:31 AM »
Without having records for thousands of years, there’s no way scientist can say this is a lasting trend. Could be a normal pattern of heating and cooling, and 150 years of records doesn’t justify what they’re pushing.

As far as California is concerned eiderz, I’d be happier if the entire southern coast line broke off and floated south to Mexico

Offline Ranger275

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2023, 11:17 AM »
Please don't turn this into a climate change argument. :nono: I would enjoy seeing California entombed in ice however.

Well said, I just want to fish!

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:51 PM »
whoa looks like logically compromised dude is back on site..can't wait 15000 years to ice fish

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2023, 01:24 PM »
whoa looks like logically compromised dude is back on site..can't wait 15000 years to ice fish

Well that's how long it's gonna take you to catch a fish unless you use my secret dressing that I and I alone came up with. Impossible to catch fish without my super secret technique and dressing
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline hooper22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:47 PM »
Not I pal!
The kind folk here ran him out of 2 States!

Offline hooper22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:58 PM »

No argument from me. The facts are there were A 1000' of ice over the greatlakes and our coastline was was out by the continental shelf. The sea-levels were  400' lower 15000 years ago. Global warming is real!

Just don't think they had many combustible engines back then? Maybe Alien spaceships started it

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2023, 03:14 PM »
How old is John Kerry, maybe he started it all🤣

Infiniti

« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:21 PM »
I believe we are destroying the planet in one way or another. But theres also a lot of politics and money involved. Don't think for one second the billionaires pushing climate change on us aren't invested in clean energy and don't have oceanfront property in places they claim will be underwater in a few years. One thing that Trump did that I actually agree with was getting us out of that ridiculous Paris climate agreement. Massive polluters like China and India were paying nothing into the fund while we paid billions. They also were given decades to begin slowing their pollution down while we were expected to start much sooner. Basically we were crippling our own economy and paying to do so while everyone else got a leg up on us. Until the planet as a whole wants to come together and change things nothing is going to improve.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.