Author Topic: Yay, Nay, Throw it away?  (Read 2309 times)

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yay, Nay, Throw it away?
« on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:22 AM »

Dan

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Yay, Nay, Throw it away?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:29 AM »
Very cool invention, Dan! Definitely not “throw away” but I give it a big Yay! 👍
Have you retired yet? 😊

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:32 AM »
No not yet….unfortunately. Covid was a dream destroyer for me and my business….Down to three days a week roughly.

Dan

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:40 AM »
That's really neat. Can you change the jigging distance?

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:47 AM »
That's really neat. Can you change the jigging distance?

Yes, right now I believe I have it set for a 40 or 50 degree cycle arc. It can go to 110 degrees which would basically more than double the throw distance. The only problem is when your pulling that far of an arc vertically, your line will go from one side of the hole to the other. I didn’t think that would work well so I reduced the arc to what I thought would keep it somewhat centered in the hole as much as possible.

I’m thinking about mounting one in my Bob house on the wall less the cooler. Since it simply sits in a Cannon tab lock base I could simply mount that base to the wall over one of my corner floor fishing holes….

Work in progress….all suggestions appreciated!

Dan

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:48 AM »
No not yet….unfortunately. Covid was a dream destroyer for me and my business….Down to three days a week roughly.

Dan

Yes, the “coof” killed many things, unfortunately. Good to see you (on video)!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2023, 02:54 PM »
Very cool jigging machine!

Have you looked at the way the Japanese have gone about it? Mainly used for smelting, but the technique could be applied to any type of fishing.
An example;  The Daiwa Wakasagi Electric Reel Christian CR - PT II, you can program it to do just about anything from a quiver to setting the hook. All done with the spool.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2023, 03:21 PM »
I checked the NH Regs but couldn't find it. I thought it was illegal in NH to use an automatic jigging device? It does mention hands-held in the regs but a jaw jacker isn't hand-held. Great invention a lot of thought went into it.

Offline fishsluggos

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2023, 03:51 PM »
Yay! I like that setup.

Are you producing the the Jig Pro units for sale? 

Thanks.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2023, 10:30 PM »
I checked the NH Regs but couldn't find it. I thought it was illegal in NH to use an automatic jigging device? It does mention hands-held in the regs but a jaw jacker isn't hand-held. Great invention a lot of thought went into it.

I do believe there used to be a regulation about auto hook setting devices... but when Jaw-Jackers started getting popular I looked for it and it was no longer in there.

What happens when you get a strike... any type of trigger to set the hook or no longer jig and let the drag do the work until you tend to the rod/reel?

Good luck with it.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2023, 12:17 AM »
Dam, that's pretty cool

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2023, 06:02 AM »
Oh, heck no - takes the fun right out of it.

That looks like as much fun as going on a guiding trip, waiting for the guide to hook a fish, then handing you the rod.   ::)

Maybe good for other ppl w/ injuries or small kids or maybe guides.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2023, 06:57 AM »

That looks like as much fun as going on a guiding trip, waiting for the guide to hook a fish, then handing you the rod.   ::)

Yessir. Most folks that go on our Walleye trips are either first timers or just don't go that often are happy just reeling them in. As a 1st mate...it is more rewarding getting the right setup...lure type/color, depth, speed, etc. than rolling in a virtual log...not a lot of fight. Salmon? That's a bit different.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2023, 08:30 AM »

Way I see it working is if you are alone in your bobhouse and want to jig 2 lines…many times I went out alone and had one trap set outside and jigging one line inside. This invention would allow the lone fisherman to jig the second line and be close enough to grab the rod if it gets hit!
Like Dan said..keep your line active when you are busy doing something else. Simple enough…
Now…the price point is one major factor on whether this will fly or die! That said, if it’s a one-off just for yourself to double your jigging, it’s a winner!

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:36 AM »
What happens when you get a strike... any type of trigger to set the hook or no longer jig and let the drag do the work until you tend to the rod/reel?

Good luck with it.

There is no trigger to set the hook, it would rely on self hooking through the jig cycle process. Definitely won’t achieve as many hookups as if you had the rod in your hand. As I stated in the video the jigger allows you to do other things while keeping a jig rod active in the water or have two jig rods going at once. I definitely feel using cut bait on a single hook jig would be the best way to ensure better and more hookups than just a jig with no bait. Just  having fun with it right now….see where it goes….

Dan

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2023, 10:46 AM »
Way I see it working is if you are alone in your bobhouse and want to jig 2 lines…many times I went out alone and had one trap set outside and jigging one line inside. This invention would allow the lone fisherman to jig the second line and be close enough to grab the rod if it gets hit!
Like Dan said..keep your line active when you are busy doing something else. Simple enough…
Now…the price point is one major factor on whether this will fly or die! That said, if it’s a one-off just for yourself to double your jigging, it’s a winner!

Regarding price point….this is definitely a one off just for fun as I have well over $500.00 just in parts alone and that does not include the rods and reels! I enjoy making things out in my garage / shop this is just the result of one of those days…

Dan

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2023, 11:09 AM »
I think you've found a retirement business for yourself. I'm always impressed by the ingenuity and craftsmanship of people here, and this is one of the finest examples.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2023, 09:42 PM »
Thanks for the info. Cool device. I am sure you will have as much fun modifying and improving it as you do fishing with it. Well done

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2023, 06:17 AM »
These are very slick nice work. I have asked fish and game about auto hook sets and they could care less. This does not actually set it though upon contact. I would running one while jigging or within a 6 trap set up why not it’s the same as having a trap just sit there until the fish is on. These Midwest guys are killing me go home.
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.