Author Topic: Snow dog  (Read 6004 times)

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snow dog
« on: Dec 27, 2022, 03:07 PM »
Hope everyone had a Good Christmas, I was able to get out this past weekend on about 4 inches of ice for some brookies saw some fatties chasing my jig but couldn’t get them to commit. Finally pulled the trigger on a new snow dog machine. Been trying to get one for a while now, anyone else use these for ice fishing/hunting? seems like the perfect machine for hard water fishing. Already put mounts on it for my auger and some clam rod holders on each side. seems like the mods are endless on these things😂 I’m spending way to much time and money trying to set this up to run and gun

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Snow dog
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Congratulations, been on the radar for awhile. Got rid of my quad last year, and don’t need to go fast enough or far enough to justify a snowmobile. Have fun
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2022, 04:33 PM »
Congratulations, been on the radar for awhile. Got rid of my quad last year, and don’t need to go fast enough or far enough to justify a snowmobile. Have fun

Thanks! Exactly and they are light and easy to transport which is why I got it.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2022, 06:10 PM »
I'm too cheap to buy one but our local dealer didn't have them last winter supposedly they are russian made?. Glad you were able to find one.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2022, 06:28 PM »
There are a couple people that have them. I know Tim Moore and BendItFishing both are NH guys with YouTube channels who seem to like them and have videos showing their mods. Personally, they’re not for me. But to each their own!
Tight Lines!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2022, 06:40 PM »
Congrats bud!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2022, 03:27 AM »
Hope everyone had a Good Christmas, I was able to get out this past weekend on about 4 inches of ice for some brookies saw some fatties chasing my jig but couldn’t get them to commit. Finally pulled the trigger on a new snow dog machine. Been trying to get one for a while now, anyone else use these for ice fishing/hunting? seems like the perfect machine for hard water fishing. Already put mounts on it for my auger and some clam rod holders on each side. seems like the mods are endless on these things😂 I’m spending way to much time and money trying to set this up to run and gun
I purchased one in 2020. My brother had come down sick and had lost about 40 lbs in a short amount of time. He was being tested and they thought it might be the "c" word. Thankfully it wasn't, but it was Crohns. It effects the joints along with the stomach and intestines. I got it to assist getting him out on the ice. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive until after the ice fishing season. Last year it sat quietly in the tarp garage due to health reasons of my own. I fired it up last week and I am currently getting the jet sled hitches attached so it will be put to use this year(finally!) There is a bit of a learning curve to driving one. Looking forward to putting some miles on it on the ice. I also bought it for its ease in transport and loading.

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2022, 04:25 AM »
Congrats on the new toy. Love mine for ice fishing and hunting. Couple suggestions that have been mentioned before on previous posts kold kutter screws for the track and some type of scag/carbide skates for the sleds you plan on hauling. Snow covered ice no big deal but glare ice with a train of sleds can spin you around. If you only scag 1 sled put it last in the chain helps to keep the rest of the sleds in line. Enjoy the new toy!

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2022, 06:41 AM »
Saw a few guys using those out West and South of 19mi bay last year. Interesting concept and seems like a good compromise between walking or the full blown ATV/UTV/sled route. 

Any limitations in deep snow?  The times I saw them last year it was essentially bare ice.

Paul

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Are you able to ramp it up into a pickup bed, without a lot of work once you drop the tub?
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2022, 02:20 PM »
I purchased one in 2020. My brother had come down sick and had lost about 40 lbs in a short amount of time. He was being tested and they thought it might be the "c" word. Thankfully it wasn't, but it was Crohns. It effects the joints along with the stomach and intestines. I got it to assist getting him out on the ice. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive until after the ice fishing season. Last year it sat quietly in the tarp garage due to health reasons of my own. I fired it up last week and I am currently getting the jet sled hitches attached so it will be put to use this year(finally!) There is a bit of a learning curve to driving one. Looking forward to putting some miles on it on the ice. I also bought it for its ease in transport and loading.

Damn, I hope your brother is feeling better! And is ready to catch some fish. What model did you go with?

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Congrats on the new toy. Love mine for ice fishing and hunting. Couple suggestions that have been mentioned before on previous posts kold kutter screws for the track and some type of scag/carbide skates for the sleds you plan on hauling. Snow covered ice no big deal but glare ice with a train of sleds can spin you around. If you only scag 1 sled put it last in the chain helps to keep the rest of the sleds in line. Enjoy the new toy!

Thanks for that advice I think I’ll order up those kole kutters now!  What size?

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2022, 02:30 PM »
Are you able to ramp it up into a pickup bed, without a lot of work once you drop the tub?

when I bought the machine the guy got it in my truck with Ramps with ease and when I took it out of my truck I didn’t have ramps so my dad and I man handled it (not ideal), the sport model is 350lbs I believe. I’m planning on getting a hitch trailer to haul it around it has a ramp on it so will make it simple.  Then I can keep all my gear in the bed

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2022, 02:41 PM »
Good luck with it.  I look forward to hear how you like it.  I am thinking about getting one in the next year or so.

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2022, 02:49 PM »
Ive been looking at these and the auger machines. Hope it serves you well.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2022, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for that advice I think I’ll order up those kole kutters now!  What size?

These are what I put in. Bought 250 and have plenty of spares.
Used Arctic Cat part # 3639-460 for my sled carbide. Pricey but keep an eye on Ebay you can usually find some deals. There's enough to do 2 sleds in that pack and their real carbide. Could probably fab something up out of steel but these bolt in and I cut off the extra stud length.
I load mine into the back of the truck with the aluminum fold in half ramp from harbor freight  and it climds right up with or without studs my truck has a topper still doable.
Studs do make it harder to turn on grass but not a huge difference on ice.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2022, 05:38 PM »
They have an Electric Snowdog that is coming out and I am holding out for one of them. I don't need the range that gas will give you and I am not a motorhead, so electric should fit the bill just fine...

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2022, 06:39 PM »

These are what I put in. Bought 250 and have plenty of spares.
Used Arctic Cat part # 3639-460 for my sled carbide. Pricey but keep an eye on Ebay you can usually find some deals. There's enough to do 2 sleds in that pack and their real carbide. Could probably fab something up out of steel but these bolt in and I cut off the extra stud length.
I load mine into the back of the truck with the aluminum fold in half ramp from harbor freight  and it climds right up with or without studs my truck has a topper still doable.
Studs do make it harder to turn on grass but not a huge difference on ice.

Just found some on eBay for 33 bucks not a bad deal. Thank you for the help I appreciate it!

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2022, 03:10 AM »
Damn, I hope your brother is feeling better! And is ready to catch some fish. What model did you go with?
Thanks 603! He is much better thanks to his treatments. I got the 10hp Snowdog with the white snow Camo cover. I'm seeing that they don't make those anymore. Looks like they got just the 13 Hp.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2022, 09:31 AM »
They have an Electric Snowdog that is coming out and I am holding out for one of them. I don't need the range that gas will give you and I am not a motorhead, so electric should fit the bill just fine...

I'm not really interested in them but if there was an electric model I might be convinced.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2022, 11:34 AM »

I remember the being a lot of discussion on whether these needed OHRV registrations.... what is the requirement for them in NH?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2022, 11:52 AM »
I remember the being a lot of discussion on whether these needed OHRV registrations.... what is the requirement for them in NH?
If it has a motor and a track NH will squeeze $$ out of you to operate it…🤪 am I wrong?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2022, 12:01 PM »
If it has a motor and a track NH will squeeze $$ out of you to operate it…🤪 am I wrong?

Spot on, you even hook a battery to something, BANG!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2022, 06:18 PM »
Dang that was another reason I got it because I thought you didn’t need to do that bull****!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2022, 06:40 PM »
Dang that was another reason I got it because I thought you didn’t need to do that bull****!

I had a feeling that people might which is why I threw the question out there - cheaper to register it than pay the fine.

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2022, 09:31 PM »
If your looking for an electric mode of travel just pick up a battery powered belt sander, slap some 50 grit on it, a pair of hockey skates and go!! 

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2022, 02:43 AM »
You are absolutely correct Mow!
It has to be registered. I had a long conversation with CO McFazden about how it should be registered. I explained that it could be driven on dry land, it had no skis and it had a top speed of about 15mph. Sent him the link to Snowdog itself. He said he would get back to me after he did a little research and talked it over with his supervisor. When he got back to me, he informed me that it could be registered as an OHRV and not a snowmobile. Little cheaper that way.

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:47 AM »
Wondering if you’ve gotten some miles on the Snow Dog yet? Likes/dislikes? How is the ride out, standing in the sled, has it bucked you off?

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:28 PM »
Wondering if you’ve gotten some miles on the Snow Dog yet? Likes/dislikes? How is the ride out, standing in the sled, has it bucked you off?

Sorry to get back to you so late, surprisingly I still haven’t even taken it out yet…  >:( weather has been bad but hopefully this weekend I’ll give it a go. I just got my hitch trailer for it

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2023, 05:12 AM »
Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.