Author Topic: What People Are Saying About The Smitty Sled Kit  (Read 8363 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What People Are Saying About The Smitty Sled Kit
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:02 AM »
I love the one i built many years ago. It's funny coming off the ice on Lake George and looking around and seeing several other smitty sleds.

After taking the time to build one i definitely see the value in buying the kit since it would definitely save a ton of time and the end product will be higher quality for some of us  :o

Best of luck with it!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:59 AM »
Just ordered my kit. I could have made it from scratch but after figuring the cost of all the parts it was a no brainier. I scored 4 pairs of downhill skies for free. Might make a few Christmas gifts.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:28 AM »
This kit will save you quite a bit of money unless you have the supplies on hand........the kit includes JUST what you need......no leftover materials.......you won't have to buy a whole package of rope(usually 50ft).....a small box of 3" exterior screws is pricey.....other hardware adds up also......also you won't have to mess with saws, I've done all the work for you in that regards........like this thread says, people are very happy with their purchases.........tigh t lines

PS........decals may be coming with the dog chewing on a cigar.........
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Smitty my kit just got delivered, fast shipping. All the parts fit together perfect. Thanks

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Curious, what's the width of the cross braces you include in the kit?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:33 PM »
PS........decals may be coming with the dog chewing on a cigar.........

I wonder what it might cost to have a local tattoo artist draw up something similar but original, and cooler? That way it would be the only one vs using an image from the internet..

I don't know how decals are made, but if you could start with an original design its cooler IMO..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:38 PM »
Another idea I'd like to see for Smitty...

You if you get really bored.. lol

Carve out a stamp/brand that you could heat up and burn your logo in your boards, also with a clear USA...

Go Smitty!

<°)))>{

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Curious, what's the width of the cross braces you include in the kit?
its 24 inches

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Awesome kit Smitty !! Thanks for the fast service and easy directions.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:11 AM »
Smitty my kit just got delivered, fast shipping. All the parts fit together perfect. Thanks
Thanks Dan.......hope you get many enjoyable seasons with it.......tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:04 AM »
Thanks Smitty, I'm building it for my son.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2017, 03:07 PM »
No photos that I could see on eBay. The place your selling them. Just 3 photos of a completed sled on an ice shanty posting
saw the pics in ebay but thanks to smitty from earlier posts i was able to make mine exactly like the kit shows and with $5 skis from thrift store was able to complete the sled and works great on for my shappel bayrunner which for my age would be tough pulling in without the smittysled very far.
thanks again for your posts and fabulous idea and hope you make it big online.
icejohn

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2017, 09:07 AM »
saw the pics in ebay but thanks to smitty from earlier posts i was able to make mine exactly like the kit shows and with $5 skis from thrift store was able to complete the sled and works great on for my shappel bayrunner which for my age would be tough pulling in without the smittysled very far.
thanks again for your posts and fabulous idea and hope you make it big online.
icejohn
I appreciate the feedback icejohn.....this sled is relatively easy to build if you have the talent and tools/saws.........tight lines

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:28 AM »
I wonder what it might cost to have a local tattoo artist draw up something similar but original, and cooler? That way it would be the only one vs using an image from the internet..

I don't know how decals are made, but if you could start with an original design its cooler IMO..

<°)))>{

nooo, it's gotta be the same picture, heck, for those of us who don't know Smitty, basically that is his face. that's him. It's like when they rebranded Old Spice.... it just wouldn't look right. ;)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2017, 08:32 AM »
nooo, it's gotta be the same picture, heck, for those of us who don't know Smitty, basically that is his face. that's him. It's like when they rebranded Old Spice.... it just wouldn't look right. ;)

Don't worry boys.......I actually got my 1st ink on my right chest(Eagle/Flag) 3yrs. ago.......But the bulldog may go on the other side.......tight lines

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07:37 PM »
Well since there was no ice down here to go fishing on I finally decided to build a Smitty Sled for myself and my fishing buddy.We got them built without too much effort. I have to say that Smitty isn't making a ton of money making these kits. I spent almost what the kit costs, if you don't have tools or aren't mechanically inclined save yourself the headache and but the kit. Nice job Smitty!

JG

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Well since there was no ice down here to go fishing on I finally decided to build a Smitty Sled for myself and my fishing buddy.We got them built without too much effort. I have to say that Smitty isn't making a ton of money making these kits. I spent almost what the kit costs, if you don't have tools or aren't mechanically inclined save yourself the headache and but the kit. Nice job Smitty!

JG
Why thank you fishingig.....glad you could build your own "Smitty"........hope you enjoy it like thousands already have.....tight lines

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:31 PM »

Put my new kit together today. Super easy, great design. Hope to throw my stuff on it Friday and give it a workout. Couldn't be happier.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Looks awesome there Bob.......thanks for the picture.....tight lines

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:36 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Put my new kit together today. Super easy, great design. Hope to throw my stuff on it Friday and give it a workout. Couldn't be happier.

Now we're throwing armadas on these things?! jK, it looks sweet.

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:00 AM »
I don't get it. I'm not a skier, they were given to me. Someone on the ice made a comment about them also. What do I have here that's odd?

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Hey Bob,
They look trick skis, because the tails of the skis are turned up you can ski backwards on them.
JG

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Hey Bob,
They look trick skis, because the tails of the skis are turned up you can ski backwards on them.
JG
Sweet. I've got a trick sled. I never knew that, but the upswept rear tips do help me. I have several lakes with steep embankments where I lower the sled down in front of me.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2017, 04:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Could have your pull rope interchangeable from front to back.......could come in handy sometime.......tight lines

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2017, 06:59 AM »
Not only are they twin tips (so are mine on my sled) but they are also a very good brand. Just means you have a sweet sled for sure. Also when I said "JK" that's short for "just kidding". A younger me would have loved to have some armadas to hit some kickers and jib, ya know? ::)

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Could have your pull rope interchangeable from front to back.......could come in handy sometime.......tight lines

Smitty, thanks for the tip. My rope will be attached with snap clips on the ends so I can swap it back and forth. Loving this sled, thanks.

Offline AriettaBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2017, 08:43 AM »
Not only are they twin tips (so are mine on my sled) but they are also a very good brand. Just means you have a sweet sled for sure. Also when I said "JK" that's short for "just kidding". A younger me would have loved to have some armadas to hit some kickers and jib, ya know? ::)

Lol, I knew what "JK" meant but "kickers and Jib"?  All new language. I'm assuming my sled can't do those things anymore than I can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.