Author Topic: Transducer Questions  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Transducer Questions
« on: Feb 11, 2004, 07:26 AM »
Does anyone know whether a transducer can be placed in a second hole drilled right next to a hole that is being fished?  If so, will the unit be as effective?

I recently purchased a Lowrance X67c Ice Machine, and I used it for the first time this past weekend.  Beacause the ice is getting a little thicker, I brought along my 5" lazer hand auger instead of my 8".  What a difference those 3" make when drilling holes!

Anyway, a 5" hole isn't all that big when there's a transducer hanging in it.  However, I think it would be easier for me to drill two side-by-side 5" holes than drilling one 8" hole when the ice is thick.

Would this work?

(A power auger is next on my wish list)

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Transducer Questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2004, 07:32 AM »
Yes run your holes togeather as close as you can I do it
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:17 AM »
If I am fishing inside my shanty I drill 6 holes in a line close together inside the shanty and one closer to the door. I put the vex in the hole next to the door and each of us has 2 holes to fish with. The vex will pick up all 6 lines and jigs with one exception. When I am fishing a large lake that has moving water below it sometimes I will lose the outside poles due to current. In lakes w/o moving water, no problem. When I am fishing outside my shanty I will usually fish the same hole as the vex. Everyone else is on their own.  ;D This system has worked out well for us.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:22 AM »
Setting up in a second hole will work just fine. 

I use a Vex and a 5" hole.  I don't bother drilling a second hole.  The Vex has a support arm that can be used to support the transducer over the hole rather than using the float.  Without the float there's enough room for me to fish.  The arm also holds the ducer in one place way off to the side of the hole so it isn't floating around all over in the hole and getting in my way.  Maybe you could try the same thing with your X67.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Art

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Thor,
Your fish finder is most effective when you fish your bait/lure as close to the middle of your transducer as possible.  It will still work, but it will not be as effective as fishing out of the same hole.  Also, the deeper the water, the more you can get away with it because the diameter of your cone will be much larger.  If you are fishing water less than 6 ft, you should be directly under your transducer.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2004, 07:45 PM »
it doesnt have to be right next to the hole, cause i fish sometimes in my friends shapnell and watch his lure-fish through my hole. We fish in 12 of water or less, and i use a 15 year old fl-8.

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:43 PM »
I also fish in a 5" hole, I tyed a long shoe string to the cable when I get the fish up to the hole I pull the transducer out and drop it back in when the fish is on top. Work good for me. If I get a hot hole I'll drill another hole next to the first hole.
Always keep your line wet!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.