Author Topic: flys & ice fishing  (Read 1213 times)

raleigh

flys & ice fishing
« on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:07 PM »
I know there was already post about this. I dident get a chance to read it. How do you fish with flys through the ice? An what flys work best for trout ? I am going fishing tomarrow an i would like to try this. Any help would be great.....THANKS !!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: flys & ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2004, 06:48 PM »
I have tried it a couple of times on a stocked trout lake and have had good success using a caddisfly pupal fly sitting almost on bottom, maybe an inch or two off.  I fish them under a slip bobber and a few split shot on the line to get it down and just let it sit, maybe give it the odd twitch once in a while.  I haven't tried much else, but I'm sure some nymphs sitting close to bottom would also work.  Experiment and let me know how you did.

Good luck!

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:22 AM »
not many risers this time of year. have to go down for them. I have used bead headed nymphs with some good results. I have used them as a droper on spoons.

MIgander

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2004, 12:23 PM »
I've been killin' the gills on a #12 black gnat used along with a genz worm.  Tie a loop knot about 8" above the genz worm or other jig.  then tie a 4" leader onto the loop.  The fly just kind of slowly falls when you jig the heavier offering.  I have also tipped them with a small piece of berkley power grub. 

Try it, I've been outfishing others on the ice 5 to 1 with this.

raleigh

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Thanks for the posts, I havent tried them yeat. But today or tomarrow i will try them on a local trout pond I will let you know how i did......Thanks Again !!! :)

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:00 PM »
scuds , scuds and more scuds, trout love scuds especialy Brook Trout use scuds that are tied straight on the hook(no curve in them) in nature scuds curl up when they are out of water, in the water their backs stay straight, sometimes it makes a big difference when you are dealing with finickey trout...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.