Author Topic: Transporting Minnows  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Transporting Minnows
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:30 AM »
Have any of you found the perfect minnow bucket yet?  I'm still looking.  I've probably tried four or five coolers over the last couple of years alone.  I still haven't found one that doesn't leak when the water starts sloshing around during transport.  When I hand carry, it's not a problem, but when I put the cooler in my sled and pull my sled out (by foot or dragged behind an ATV or snowmobile) they leak water onto my other gear fairly bad.  Have I just not found the right cooler yet?  What do you guys use?
Chris Raymond

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Transporting Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:42 AM »
Chris;
I usually use a igloo 3 gallon water cooler I found at St. Vinnies for a buck. It is like those you use for camping. Top screws off for access to minnies and you can drain water out the spigot on bottom. I even drilled a hole in top to put my aerator tube in and siliconed around it. No leaks anywhere, works great. Looking for a gallon one for smaller trips.  Good luck  be safe   Steve

Offline rchaze60

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If they are down there.... they will come up
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:42 AM »
i have a aerated frabill minnow bucket and what I do to keep this happing is put one of those plastic shopping bags (the ones you get from the store) over the top and then put the cover over it and it seems to work fine  for me, you might want to try that and see if it works for you

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Chris;
I usually use a igloo 3 gallon water cooler I found at St. Vinnies for a buck. It is like those you use for camping. Top screws off for access to minnies and you can drain water out the spigot on bottom. I even drilled a hole in top to put my aerator tube in and siliconed around it. No leaks anywhere, works great. Looking for a gallon one for smaller trips.  Good luck  be safe   Steve
DITTO ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 07:57 AM »
i use the aerated frabill 6 gallon bucket. i love the fact you can keep giving those guys air throughout the day. however, if it did flip over the water would keep coming out. however, i love that baby and it works great when it comes to keeping bait alive. i do transport it on my atv and i am just very careful when driving around.
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:14 AM »
Chris,

Buy some foam door weather stripping and put it aroung the rim and bungy the lid on.  I did that with my old cooler and it worked great. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Chris;
same here   but replaced the spigot for an adapter to my aerator that way don't have to pull the line everytime I open the top   before I got the adapter I drilled a hole for the airline thru the top
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:30 AM »
First off minnows don't need a ton of water to be transported.  I use the styrofoam buckets that have the wire cage around the styrofoam bucket.  You can fill the bucket only half full of water for transport and then put water in the bucket once you reach your site.  I usually acclimate the minnows by putting some snow or ice into the bucket seeing the temp of the water from the tackle shop is usually a bit warmer than the water out on the ice.  The best thing I've found though is to get the larger size ziploc bags (1-2 gallon size)....put the bag into the bucket and then pour the minnows into the bag.  Again, only a small amount of water (1/2 the bucket) is needed for transport.  Zip up the bag put the top back on your styrofoam bucket and the minnows/water are totally incased in the ziploc bag.  Once you get to your site you can either leave the minnows in the ziploc bag for the day or you can pour the minnows and water back into the bucket for the day.  Either way keep the bag for transport back or for trash.  Hope this helps? ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 08:37 AM »
I use the airator transporting them to help keep the ice from freezing   gets cold up here  lol   plus after catching them I also airate them on the way home have had great results that way
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:49 AM »
I just use a Styrofoam minnow bucket that is made to fit a 5 gallon bucket. That way any spillage is contained in the bucket.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I just use a Styrofoam minnow bucket that is made to fit a 5 gallon bucket. That way any spillage is contained in the bucket.

Exactly

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Use a plastic 6 gallon bucket(with lid) with one of those big styrafoam 5 gallon minnow liners inside.Fill it about half full of water,have tipped over a few times but as long as outer plastic lid is snap,minnows and water stay in the bucket.

Offline Hoodoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:33 AM »
Use a plastic 6 gallon bucket(with lid) with one of those big styrafoam 5 gallon minnow liners inside.Fill it about half full of water,have tipped over a few times but as long as outer plastic lid is snap,minnows and water stay in the bucket.
That sounds like the ticket!!!  then you have a good seat. Thanks Capt.
I live with fear everyday and sometimes she lets me go fishing

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  I've always tried to use six pack sized coolers in the past.  May have to look at one of these Igloos or something comparable.  Thanks again.

Chris Raymond

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:55 PM »
we use the old drywall mud  plastic buckets for minnows and bringing fish home dont slop up the car they do freeze but we change water on ice during the day and just before leaving p/s you need to clean your buckets using rock salt? we found that dirty buckets kill delicate shiners nothing kills creek bait pour creeks are really polluted    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2007, 04:56 PM »
I use the Frabill Sit-n-Fish:"6-gallon outer plastic pail Comfortable padded seat/lid that snaps on and off Removable, 10-qt insulated foam bait bucket Tight-fitting lid keeps sloshing and spills to a minimum Foam construction holds water at right temperature"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.