Author Topic: Snowmobile Leaking Gas  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Snowmobile Leaking Gas
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:39 AM »
The needle is in backwards.at least most engines the needle pointgoes up in the carb.

Good eye, that's what I would say too, the rubber tip end should be the other way around in the hex head cover. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Good eye, that's what I would say too, the rubber tip end should be the other way around in the hex head cover.

Yup the needle is in upside down in that picture the tapered tip of the needle sits down inside the seat not up on the float.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Do you guys use 3/16 or 1/4 for fuel lines?

Check the ID of the carb inlet and do not go smaller. Get Tygon lines.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:00 AM »
So I took the leaking carb off. in the pictures below you'll see me pointing to an overflow fuel line that has a cap on the end. I noticed that cap was very lose and actually dripping gas.

Anyways thanks for your help everyone! really hoping it's as easy as just fixing that leaking cap at the bottom of the carb bowl.

The overflow tube and cap is fine, nothing to fix, it is working as intended. Yes the carb is over flowing because the needle is not shutting off the fuel flow when it is supposed to.

Where does the excess fuel go?  It goes out the overflow tube as it is supposed to.  Why does it leak past the "cap" on the end of the overflow tube? Because it is supposed to.  The "cap" is designed to pass fuel but stop debris and contaminants from entering the carb.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Sure does look like that needle is upside down
EYECONICFISHING

Offline smokey66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Needle upside down and possibly missing a spring retainer. You might want to take the other carb off to compare. Then you'll know how it's supposed to look.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:28 AM »
If you've lost the small wire clip that attaches to the needle, you may as well pick up a couple carb kits, rebuild them & begone with it. The clip holds the needle to the assembly that moves with the floats.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:31 AM »
Right the needle jet will fall right out with no retaining clip.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:06 PM »
I have another Cat, and I don't believe that one has a needle retaining clip either. a lot of videos I've seen have them for dirtbikes and motorcycles, but not for older snowmobiles.
Tight Lines!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:30 PM »
The little clip is what opens (lifts up) the needle when the gas in the float bowl is low, then when the float bowl is full the metal tab on the float pushes the needle closed down in the seat.. It is called a needle and seat not a needle jet. There is a high speed jet but that is not your problem..

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:50 PM »
I stopped by a snowmobile parts store. Turns out there is one close to where I work. He said the needle is definitely upside down because the float is sitting way too high, causing the gas to leak through. I'm just going to flip it around and if that doesn't work, I went ahead and bought some fuel line and a cute off switch. He said not all snowmobiles have the Clip or seat on the needle.
Tight Lines!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 PM »
The floats are sitting too far down with needle in backwards.letting fuel flow and not shut off.if the floats were too high fuel wouldnt flow because the needle would be in the carb seat sealing fuel off.fwiw i work on carbs daily.anyways you will be up and running in no time.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:08 PM »
When holding the carb upside down compared to normal running position the float should be pushing the needle closed and the float should be almost perfectly level not tilted up or tilted down. perfectly level. Your whole problem might just be someone put the needle in backwards. If the float is not level you bend the little tab that pushes on the needle up or down a little until the float is sitting level when fully closed.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:17 PM »
There are float level specs but i think its just the needle got installed upside down too.make sure the needle tip isnt damaged.if the needle is mucked up it wont stop gas flow from not being seated fully also.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:21 PM »
Don't plug off the vent tube if it still leaks. Take the carb to someone who knows what they are doing. Needle and seats do get worn out and leak. That is why they come in a rebuild kit. If you need to just order a new needle and seat try Dennis Kirk.com

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #45 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:28 PM »
Yup.plugging off that overflow will make all that gas thats going out the hose  fill the engines crankcase up full of gas if plugged.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:29 PM »
everything looked really clean, and the person I bought it from did clean the carbs. So i'm thinking they just but it in upside down. Thanks for the replies everyone. i'll let you know how I make out!
Tight Lines!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Jan 22, 2019, 02:20 PM »
everything looked really clean, and the person I bought it from did clean the carbs. So i'm thinking they just but it in upside down. Thanks for the replies everyone. i'll let you know how I make out!

That's what I was going to say, they probably cleaned the carbs right before they listed it for sale and just put it in upside down.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07:43 PM »
looks like the flip did the trick. thanks everyone
Tight Lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.