Author Topic: Snaps on Spoons, Vibrating Baits, Jigging Raps?  (Read 3227 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Snaps on Spoons, Vibrating Baits, Jigging Raps?
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Does anyone use a snap for fishing spoons, jigging raps, and vibrating baits like slab raps?  Or have you found that tying directly is the best route?  I think the snap should give a little more freedom, but it may not look as natural? 

Thoughts?
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Snaps on Spoons, Vibrating Baits, Jigging Raps?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:10 PM »
I use one. Was watching Jason Mitchell on YouTube jigging a spoon for Walleye and he was using one,

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:17 PM »
I use Duolock snaps for spoons, Jigging Raps and the like and No Knot Fas Snaps for jigs. Sometimes on horizontal jigs I tie direct.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:48 PM »
i use snaps for all spoons and jigging lures. on jigging rapalas and such, i put a swivel about a foot up the line to reduce twist. i tie direct on all my jigs, horizontal or vertical.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 04:52 PM »
I been using mustard classic hook snaps for years on my raps and spoons , 2’ leader with barrel swivel and blade baits I use a duolock

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Good to hear.  I'm a big fan of being able to changes sizes and colors quickly with the snaps.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2018, 03:52 AM »
Definitely on the Vibrating baits, lipless cranks.  You want these lures to vibrate on a slower lift speed. 

Jigging raps, most of the time.  If dedicated, I'd rather tie on swivel to leader.  It makes the lure plane better.

Spoons most of the time.  Sometimes it's better to tie direct to offset the spoon, because the fish are biting on the up jig rather than on the flutter down.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2018, 01:28 PM »
FishUSA has some cheap thin-wire snaps that work great. If you want action on your jigs, try the rapala knot.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 10:31 AM »
I use snaps on spoons, lipless cranks, and jigging raps... basically anything that isn't a JIG.

Duolocks if I'm expecting fish under 5 lbs, Crosslocks for fish over 5 lbs.  Crosslocks are a lot stonger for the same size snap but the small ones are a PITA to use.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Another option is to get some small and medium size O rings and a set of ring players from fishusa. They are cheap and easy to use.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2018, 11:03 AM »
Another option is to get some small and medium size O rings and a set of ring players from fishes, They are cheap and easy to use.
I'm going to assume you're talking about split rings.  It's not a good idea to tie a knot to a split ring, they are meant to be used with a snap.  The knot will find it's way to the thin spot of the split ring leaving sharp edged on either side of the knot which will abrade that knot over time.  I'm not saying tying direct to a split ring can't be done, it's just not a good practice and asking for trouble.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. I read an article on spoons from pa-angler and he put small split rings and small ball swivels on all his spoons. Maybe thats the way to go.
Although that seems the same as using a snap-ball-swivel. They include one on the phoebe. On blade bait they include a snap. I wonder why?
I see they guys on the-next-bite use snaps on their raps so I guess its the way to go.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:36 AM »
I use Duolock snaps for spoons, Jigging Raps and the like and No Knot Fas Snaps for jigs. Sometimes on horizontal jigs I tie direct.

Just curious ID, doesn't using the snaps on horizontals give the same effect as using a loop in the line when attaching it?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:44 PM »
FYI: The loop in the line is called the rapala knot. :)
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. I read an article on spoons from pa-angler and he put small split rings and small ball swivels on all his spoons. Maybe thats the way to go.
Although that seems the same as using a snap-ball-swivel. They include one on the phoebe. On blade bait they include a snap. I wonder why?
I see they guys on the-next-bite use snaps on their raps so I guess its the way to go.

a knot tied solid to a snap is better because of line wear from the metal lure moving on the line. the snap takes the wear not the line.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:28 AM »
Tieing direct for jigs, snaps for everything else. It allows for quick lure changes and gives the spoons and lures more freedom to move for better action. I don’t like tieing direct to split rings either, knot can’t come loose or work its way through the ring if it doesn’t get cut in the process.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.