Author Topic: World Ice Fishing Championships  (Read 1006 times)

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
World Ice Fishing Championships
« on: Feb 14, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Has anyone heard how things are going in Latvia?  CBC radio had an item Thursday aft. about the Canadian team.  I checked the Marmish.ca website because I'm pretty sure that's the rod they're using but there's nothing current there, and the Latvian website just gives me 404's in English (my Latvian is practically nonexistant). ???
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: World Ice Fishing Championships
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2004, 06:14 PM »
I recently emailed Marmish to inquire about specific jig purchases and they responded that the owner was a member of the Canadian team and off to Latvia for the world  championship.

Too Cool!
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: World Ice Fishing Championships
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for the validation, Mr. Fixit !  I was worried you  guys'd think I was BSing you.  Apparently the reason they're putting so much hope in the little Marmish rod (9") is that the target fish on the lakes and rivers they're fishing in Latvia are perch 3 to 4" long and the highly sensitive strike indicator may give them an edge.  These little fish have to be caught, weighed and released immediately and discretion is a big part of the game.  If you don't look cool and try to hide the fact that you're catching lots the competition will move right in on you !  Sounds like the GOM shanty!  I was able to find the English copy of the rules.....is your head hurting yet?.....   http://www.fishing.lv/teoriga/icerules.htm            Is there  a U.S.  team there?
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.