Author Topic: Walking by tipups and they go off..  (Read 4384 times)

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Walking by tipups and they go off..
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:44 AM »
Ever notice that after  long cold day with a 200mph wind and a broken heater and you are pulling tip ups with frozen stumps that used to be hands that the flags start to fly. Then you re-set and try again and all goes quiet for the balance of the time left as you quietly freeze to death. I think it is the God >:(s of the lake either trying to kill us or taunt us into coming back ASAP. Either that or a conspiracy by the fish to drive us nuts wondering why flags fly when we go to pull tip ups and head home.
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:52 AM »
Tried this yesterday - no luck  :(  8.5 hrs - 10 traps - 2 guys - NO FISH  :-\  Just cold and windy  :P
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

fishmann

« Reply #32 on: Feb 12, 2004, 09:55 AM »
Mudbug, the street light thing always freaks me out. Happens way too much for my liking, I think I've got some internal electrical field going on or something.  :o

I don't use tipups, but it does seem to me like some unusual noise will generate some action. Not always, but often enough that I've noticed it.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 12, 2004, 11:39 AM »
If it ain't fish that cause them to go off then it could be:

1)  Wind flags...

-- or --

2)  Passin' wind flags??? :o ;D

Then there's the Fish Trap wind slide over the tip ups and related "oops, I broke the flag off your tip up when I tried to reset it thing", right Bean?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2004, 05:39 PM »
You know, it's like those famous words during the summer, "Hey, it's the LAST CAST" usually that always works. Or it's like when you set your pole down to grab a beer just to come back and BAM, fish on! It happens all the time. Or when your messing around and yell FLAG UP! and your buddy looks out the shanty, gets up and runs out the door and pulls in that giant northern! I think that is waht keeps ya coming back again and again. It reminds me of deer hunting last year. Me and a few guys were setting up a ground blind between two fields on a fence row. we all had guns b/c we were hunting earlier that morning. I look through the grass while I was sitting down and say to my buddies "Hey, there's a deer" Just kidding around, I draw my gun ahead of me, and just as if I knew it all along, four does are right out in front of us RIGHT in front of my sights! Everyone thought I was joking around until I started firing rounds off! That is IRONIC! :o
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline ieatanimals128

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • out smart, out work, out fish!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:03 PM »
guess you better walking around your traps more often!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 13, 2004, 11:27 AM »
Just make certain there isn't a bubblehead(an unrelenting freak of nature as genz man says) somewhere on the lake. Right Kevin!
Ken                                          

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.