Author Topic: Rule Intrepretation  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Rule Intrepretation
« on: Feb 13, 2004, 11:45 AM »
While this may be somewhat state specific and I should probably just call one of our COs to get the answer, but I thought I would see if others have faced this in the past.  I'll be fishing Sunday with somebody that doesn't have any tip-ups (what some of you refer to traps I think).  In our state, we need to put our name and address on our tip-ups, and we're limited to only two lines total.  If I lend my companion some of my tip-ups for his use, any ideas what a CO might do if he happens by and sees my name and address on more tip ups than I would otherwise be entitled to use.  I suspect, I'm going to have to re-mark with his info to be safe, but was wondering if any of you have crossed paths with this issue before.  Thanks.
Chris Raymond

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rule Intrepretation
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:05 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  If I'm out with my two boy's and we all have our limit of tip-ups out, do the boy's tip-up's need their names on them?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:06 PM »
I take friends out all the time. I lend out my tip-ups for them to use. I make sure they either bring address labels with them and apply them to the tip-ups Or if they do not have address labels I have them put down there address in writing on masking tape and apply the tape to the tip-ups. Simply remove when you are done fishing.

I have never had a problem with this.

However as you stated it would be best to call your ECO and ask.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:07 PM »
Otis,

I would say yes. My dad always did that with us (my brother and I). We never ran into a issue there either.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:09 PM »
I thought they had you do that to in case the tip ups are left unattended.  But, guess it's better to play it safe.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

nuke1neil

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2004, 02:09 PM »
Wow,I did'nt know we had it so good in Penna.Please don't think I'm bragging or anything,but we can use 5 each and don't have to mark them.It's great when I take my two kids out,we can cover some real estate with 15 tipups!

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2004, 03:07 PM »
i can see some of the logic behind doing this; thank the fishing gods we dont have to do this here. i suppose the next step would be to have you stencil or permanently mark kept fish so you dont go over possession limit.  >:( >:( >:(

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Yes Banshee, I would put masking tape over your info., and put the users info  there....just to save an possibe unpleasant situation...I even carry masking tape and a pen/marker with me now...just in  case..
Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2004, 03:47 PM »
in the state of maine we are not required to have our names on our traps.however we do in fact already have a catch & kill law .this is a controversial law and would make an interesting thread  ..... does your statehave a law requiring you to kill any fish you intend to keep and what do you think of  this law

maine-ly backward

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2004, 03:54 PM »
buildit, the catch and kill law was enacted as an attempt to stop the illegal stocking that goes on and to keep fishermen from "culling" fish by throwing back half dead smaller ones in order to keep a larger fish as part of their daily bag limit. I don't really have a problem with the law and I'm wondering what you see wrong with it.

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2004, 03:55 PM »
That law sounds barbaric to me, Scott.  Especially for panfishing, because sometimes, (in the blue moon that I catch something) I will make a live-well, just so that if I do not get enough Perch or whatever, for a whole meal, I can set them free....Look kinda silly bringing one or two perch home....
And there is no such law here in NY.
(and don't give them any ideas!!!!)

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2004, 04:11 PM »
jigstick, i personally dont see anything wrong with it especially since i dont keep any fish that are not on there way to the taxidermist's shop ;D when the law was enacted in maine there was much controversy over it.some said it would lead to dead fish all over the place .you know catch one ,kill it,catch a bigger one ,throw the small dead one away in the bushes :( that was years ago i never noticed anything different.no like i said i dont keep them anyway so i dont have a prob with it , i just thought it would make for good conversation

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2004, 04:19 PM »
Thats a good point though Cider, about the illeagl alive fish...You thought you killed it, but just when the CO settles in for some conversation, the thing starts flopping around and carrying on....LOL...hey ya never know...I swear I killed 'em...I swear....Don't look dead to me...

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2004, 04:30 PM »
One idea that has crossed my mind (but I haven't had an opportunity to put into action yet) is to use luggage tags.  You can easily attach most designs to tip-ups, they've got a window to see the text through, and you can switch names/addresses out easily if fishing with others.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2004, 07:08 PM »
Why the laws against stocking? O.K., so we dont know what we are doing. But If I wanted to stock somthing, I would buy 500 yearlings from a fish farm. Not sneak 2 or 3 fish  a week into another lake. You ever check out fish farm web sites? Yearlings are cheap!
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2004, 05:57 AM »
here's a link i found about fish farms

http://dunnsfishfarm.com/fingerling_fish_59_ctg.htm
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2004, 08:03 AM »
Yeah, I'll probably re-mark with his info.  Thanks for the comments.  Some of your responses prompted another question.  The way that some of you commented about using masking tape made me think this wasn't the way you put your own information on your tip-ups.  That's what I use normally, is there some other method that works better?
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.