Author Topic: Cystic Fibrosis  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Cystic Fibrosis
« on: Feb 08, 2004, 03:31 PM »
Hi all

I hope this post doesn't rub anyone the wrong way, but here it goes.

Recently I've become very active with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, as far as helping with fundraisers and other activities.  Before my son was born I had heard very little about this disease, and if it's possible knew even less.  CF is a genetic disease that is terminal and at this point incurable.  But in the last 10 years they have been able to isolate the gene that causes it and have made great strides in the treatment of patients and as well as working towards the eventual cure of this killer.  Most people don't realize that one out of every 30 Americans carry the gene that causes this defect.  That's 10 million symptomless carries in the U.S. alone. This is what I'm asking help with.

We are having a fishing tournament at Ft. Peck Montana on August 7th.  With all the proceeds going to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.  Anyone who want's to participate I will get the information to you.  Another part of the tourney that we are working on is a silent auction.  If ANYONE would be interested in donating something for the auction I would be indebted.  I hope this post finds you and your families in good health. 

Maybe I could request one more thing from all of ya.  After you read this... say a little prayer for my son and the 30,000 other kids in the U.S. who have got this disease that a cure is coming soon.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and God bless.
Rob Laas
Chester MT

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
Re: Cystic Fibrosis
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2004, 04:43 PM »
I cant make it, but can you start a collection in the name of us guys and gals at ice shanty so I can give you a check? We could all help a little, I think. My son has problems in another medical feild and I'd like to try to help . ;)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2004, 04:58 PM »
cant see how that could rub anyone wrong. absolutely we will pray for your son.good luck , i live in maine and wont make the tourney but our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your whole family.....God bless

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:00 AM »
my thoughts and hope for a soon to come cure for this genetic disease. i lost a good friend 4 years ago, and its terrible to know nothing can really be done long term yet. grump

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:24 AM »
No need to worry about rubbing the wrong way. Each of us need to be reminded once in a while just how fragile life really is and how good we have it. We all have our own crosses to carry, but most are pretty trivial in comparison. My families prayers go out to you and your family. I can't make it to the tourney, but I want to help. I don't have much, but I want to help any way I can. What kind of stuff are you looking to auction and where can I send them?

Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

thefishinfrenzy

« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2004, 09:39 AM »
good job nice to hear people still have a heart.AS a licenced guide I donate 2 trips a year,One to the Make a wish foundation and one to the oswego county drug court. Just my way of saying I appriciate these causes.
          frenzy out

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Good post! I can not see how this would rub anyone the wrong way.

Prayers for your son and the others on the way for sure.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Dear Cider 1197 and grumpymoe

I'm truley sorry to hear of your losses to CF.  Your right 6 years ago a person with CF was lucky to make it to 28.  When I was researching what CF was, I was litteraly shacking when I read that only half of the kids made it to age 12.  After I go done with the article I seen that it was 20 years old.  With the advancements in medicine, they say that half of the kids make it to 32 years old now, unfortunently half don't. 
Thanks for the support that you all showed by posting a reply to my request.  I appreciate the offers for donations and especially the words of prayer for my family.  I hope that you are all truly blessed today.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Wish I didn't live so far away! I'd definitely be there :-\

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2004, 05:44 PM »
Rob, my prayers will go out to you, your son and your entire family. I have a very dear friend who's son also has CF, I have asked her to post here under my name. May we all pray that someday very soon a cure will be found.
Pete Lewis

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:15 AM »
If anyone would be interested in learning more about Cystic Fibrosis and what is being done about it, the best site I know of is the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation web site at www. cff.org

Offline nehusker13

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2004, 01:50 PM »
ttt ;)

captaincrappie

« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2004, 02:24 PM »
My prayers are with you, your son and family.  I can't make it to the tourney as i'm half the USA away.  But where can I send something for the silent auction.  I have six months so over that time come up with many different things to send.
______________________ ______________________ ______________________

can't wait to get back out fishing

Offline Gusher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2004, 01:34 AM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the support and will keep you updated on the happenings.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.