Author Topic: Howells pond fishing today 12-20  (Read 1492 times)

Offline gboutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Howells pond fishing today 12-20
« on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Anybody else know?
I got a call from a very trustworthy friend in East Hartland who saw men and traps on Howells pond this morning. RT 20 W in Heartland to west street, to stillman to dish mill rd. Can anyone confirm with eyeballs? I can't confirm yet, but I may make the trip up to see today.
Don't Just Sit There, GET OUT!
gary brummett, owner
Connecticut Outfitters
512 Silas Deane Hwy
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Offline gboutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Howells pond fishing today 12-20
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Ok, its official. I drove up and there were guys out fishing Howell's.  They had a few LMB and were having fun, with the place all to themselves.  4".
Then I headed to Woodcreek, ran into Metalhead who had the same idea I did! We found 4" of fishable ice, failry consistant where we checked.
Have fun, be prepared, and stay dry and safe! FLAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGG!
gary brummett, owner
Connecticut Outfitters
512 Silas Deane Hwy
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Good to see you out and about gbout. I am lookin foward to my first full day on the ice!

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:22 PM »
good to hear you guys got out and found ice today! thanks for the report. i might have to set the alarm and hit my first ice this year tomorow
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Good to hear, thanks for making the effort Gary. Also noticed that Gary put a Woodcreek report on the R&C board. There's a couple of CTO bait cards up for grabs for the first R&C board report on two different ponds, one in eastern CT, the other western CT. More info is on the R&C board. Woodcreek was close, but not the one in the western part of the state. Maybe somebody scores tomorrow?  :tipup:  Hopefully not Gary, he has enough shiners already! ;D

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:00 PM »
good to hear you guys got out and found ice today! thanks for the report. i might have to set the alarm and hit my first ice this year tomorow
If you are at the creek and see me come and say hi

Offline CTBassHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Snook onto Howell's today with a buddy of mine for some early season ice. So early in fact, that during the day a group stopped up with kayaks for one last paddle.  With everyone hunting in the area, many groups stopped to take pictures and so the secret was out.  Ended up talking to someone who works for Connecticut Outfitters at the end of the day, so figured I would check and see what was posted.  The day produced half a dozen flags with one decent 1.5-2 lbs largie.  For those looking to venture out tomorrow, the ice is fair to good, my buddy and I had stud bars and throw ropes, constantly checking for safe ice.  Look out of soft spots, be safe, and have fun.

good luck!

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Awesome times today! happy to see the ice is there! I hit black pond in meriden today for some open-water trout fishing-it paid off! Got one of those seeforellen browns!-16 1/2 lbs.! and even dow in meriden had to walk halfway around the pond to find a spot not locked up!- these monsters should make the trout entries in the ice tourney this year very interesting!

Offline gboutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Do you mean that the ice isn't 4" EVERYWHERE??? WOW. Let me clarify: The ice I was standing on, and those good fellows were fishing on, can not be safely accessed form the boat launch or near the dam.  You need to go around to the shaded back side, and yes the edges are a little iffy. but it was def 4". Anyone who has spent any time learning about ice and safety knows that different areas freeze at different times and rates based on factors like sun, depth, and current. Gee whiz.  Have fun, be safe, have a buddy and have a safety plan!
gary brummett, owner
Connecticut Outfitters
512 Silas Deane Hwy
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2014, 08:32 AM »
We're all anxious to get on the ice, and because of the off-and-on weather there will be differences in observed ice conditions on any given body of water. This site is a great source of information, but always check the ice yourself, your access point, route and fishing area. If you post ice conditions which differ from those in other posts, please respect the observations of other members. No cage matches, otherwise the thread will be locked or removed.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Great reminder elderz. Still very early guys.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Yea, be safe.  When we have these iffy starts to ice season lots of guys itching to get out take chances on sketchy ice.   rule of thumb is spud bars, picks and be careful in deeper water.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.