The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Havalon Baracuta Filet Knife  (Read 2065 times)

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Havalon Baracuta Filet Knife
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:09 PM »
Has anyone used the Havalon Baracuta filet knife with perch? I'm hoping a sharp knife like this will be the key to fileting perch. I hate accidental cutting through the spine when cutting the second filet - it messes the whole process up. It is so aggravating. Maybe others have a process that works better?

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Havalon Baracuta Filet Knife
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Easier to cut through the back when the fish are semi-frozen, but also easier to filet overall. Try pre-cutting to the spine and only go half an inch or so down the spine so after you do the first side, the second is much easier. Are you cutting through while taking the side off, or when you go straight in to the backbone?

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Electric fillet knife like a Mister Twister is the easiest way to clean perch!

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:15 PM »
I have not used the Havalon Baracuta, but I got the below for backpacking and ended up using it at home as well. It is extremely sharp and I mostly use it for perch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAL1HI4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Easier to cut through the back when the fish are semi-frozen, but also easier to filet overall. Try pre-cutting to the spine and only go half an inch or so down the spine so after you do the first side, the second is much easier. Are you cutting through while taking the side off, or when you go straight in to the backbone?

I cut through the spine when cutting the second side off. To make my process a little clearer, I lay the fish on its side, with the back toward me and the head in my left hand, then plunge my filet knife into the back and out the belly and cut the first side all the way along the spine down to just before the tail then stop. (At this point, the first slab is attached at the gill plate and tail for support. I flip the fish over then cut the second slab along the gill plate and down along the spine to the tail. Its at this point at I break through the spine. I think its because the force needed to cut through the rib bones makes the spine give way. That's why I'm thinking a sharper knife might help (although I do keep my Rapala filet knife sharp), or my technique or method is just wrong. Maybe an electric knife will make it easier, but i'm not sure how much waste is left with an electric knife. I'm just trying to speed up my process. It feels like I take forever to filet perch sometimes.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:34 AM »
JMB8, The waste from an electric knife is the same as a handheld knife. To truly get all the meat off a perch you need to peel off the skin from both sides and remove the rib cage but leave the backbone in .I filleted 1,000's of perch (yes, I'm OLD ) with a handheld fillet knife before switching to  an electric knife. You'd be amazed at how much faster the cleaning process gets.

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:04 AM »
Can,t beat an electric knife for speed. I use it for crappie, bass and walleyes also.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:10 AM »
JMB8, The waste from an electric knife is the same as a handheld knife. To truly get all the meat off a perch you need to peel off the skin from both sides and remove the rib cage but leave the backbone in .I filleted 1,000's of perch (yes, I'm OLD ) with a handheld fillet knife before switching to  an electric knife. You'd be amazed at how much faster the cleaning process gets.
Agree X 2  the electric knife increases production.

Offline miknvt

• IceShanty Rookie
  • How are they biting
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:29 AM »
Electric knife is without a doubt the only way to go.   :thumbsup:
There ain't no fish in this frogpond

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:19 AM »
 ??? ::)  I'd be happy if someone could come up with a serrated fillet knife?
Dick

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 04:17 AM »
??? ::)  I'd be happy if someone could come up with a serrated fillet knife?
Dick
I have one, it worked great when it was new but a pain in the butt to keep it sharpened.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2017, 04:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

This is how I cleaned perch while growing up and fishing St. Albans bay. My  Dad (at 87) still cleans them this way as he says filleting wastes meat. It isn't a 10 second job though !   ;D

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2017, 06:36 AM »
Plus, I prefer fillets. I like it when the meat is golden brown on all sides. I guess I will have to try an electric knife. That or learn these skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTE0mX4bWLE

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2017, 07:52 AM »
Plus, I prefer fillets. I like it when the meat is golden brown on all sides. I guess I will have to try an electric knife. That or learn these skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTE0mX4bWLE

Holy moly! That gal has got it down!

I have tried different methods of cleaning perch and always end up back to the way I learned to do it which is the "bone in, tail on" method. For this I have found that a filet knife is a bit long and use my hunting knife which is an Old Timer Sharpfinger https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpfinger

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:04 AM »
This is how I cleaned perch while growing up and fishing St. Albans bay. My  Dad (at 87) still cleans them this way as he says filleting wastes meat. It isn't a 10 second job though !   ;D

Maybe i am old school as well..but this is how i do it too.
But i cut the ribs off with knife or sizzors.
You do get more meat this way. The bones just come
Off after you cook the fish through.i have also done 1000s
This way.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:13 PM »
I have one, it worked great when it was new but a pain in the butt to keep it sharpened.

Where did you find it.  I find that a serrated knife is easy to keep sharp.  Only one side to sharpen with a stone?
Dick

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:22 PM »
My work sharp sharpener sharpens serrated blades well. Use on my electric knife blades.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Do you like the work sharp? I almost put that on my Christmas list. Would you trust it with expensive kitchen knives?

My work sharp sharpener sharpens serrated blades well. Use on my electric knife blades.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Where did you find it.  I find that a serrated knife is easy to keep sharp.  Only one side to sharpen with a stone?
Dick

DB, Amazon is one of the places you can find one

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2017, 05:24 PM »
I like my old fashioned knives very much and plan to keep using them until I'm too old to remember where my feet are when standing at the kitchen counter.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:39 PM »

Maybe i am old school as well..but this is how i do it too.
But i cut the ribs off with knife or sizzors.
You do get more meat this way. The bones just come
Off after you cook the fish through.i have also done 1000s
This way.

Yup cut the ribs off, leave the tails on! Ate a dozen like that tonight.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:58 AM »
Dick
Dick,
The make is Fiska.  I have had it for many many years, I think I got it at Nichols and Dimes and they closed probably 10 years ago. It does work well, easily cutting thru belly bones while filleting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.