The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Missisquoi Bay  (Read 2574 times)

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
Missisquoi Bay
« on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:40 PM »
Hey Guys and gals just wondering what the conditions are on the bay. Any snow? Ice thickness? Hows the pike bite? Thanks for the info much appreciated.

Offline BinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Missisquoi Bay
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:46 PM »
My son fished it today.Said there was about 11" of ice,but the water on the ice was a problem.And of course the wind, that kept blowing their tip-ups outa the holes.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:52 AM »
Thanks BinVT I appreciate it. Seems like nobody wants to give any info.

Offline egagne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Havent made it out there yet, but those i know have had pretty slow days

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:52 AM »
bumping this back to the top. has anyone taken an ice measurement lately? goin up in a couple weeks and looking for a ice report. any cars on the ice yet?

Offline egagne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:15 AM »
My buddy fished this weekend, 10 inches. Itll be packed tight with derby this weekend

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:33 PM »
I was out at Hog Island which is south of Missisquoi Bay and the ice was 14 inches thick and very good ice.  I walked out as it was beautiful and windless but there were many ATV tracks there and many trucks visible in the distance south of there and on the western shore.  I hammered the perch (I use my tip-ups and jig at the same time) and got lots of really big ones, one keeper pike and then the piece de resistance, a 3 lb walleye on my jig stick!  I only use big fathead minnows under a big silver spoon (have all my life); there's no need for big shiners.  But I also have used (but am now afraid its outlawed as per wording in new regs) little perch.  I once caught a big walleye there on a 6-inch perch and when I pulled it in, it spit out another perch it already had in its gut!

My neighbor fishes Missiquoi Bay every Sunday and he told me that he was with 12 other guys and they caught 50 keepers and took home over a 100 lbs of flesh on Sunday.  He's pretty reliable and so I believe him.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 03:59 PM »
I was out at Hog Island which is south of Missisquoi Bay and the ice was 14 inches thick and very good ice.  I walked out as it was beautiful and windless but there were many ATV tracks there and many trucks visible in the distance south of there and on the western shore.  I hammered the perch (I use my tip-ups and jig at the same time) and got lots of really big ones, one keeper pike and then the piece de resistance, a 3 lb walleye on my jig stick!  I only use big fathead minnows under a big silver spoon (have all my life); there's no need for big shiners.  But I also have used (but am now afraid its outlawed as per wording in new regs) little perch.  I once caught a big walleye there on a 6-inch perch and when I pulled it in, it spit out another perch it already had in its gut!

My neighbor fishes Missiquoi Bay every Sunday and he told me that he was with 12 other guys and they caught 50 keepers and took home over a 100 lbs of flesh on Sunday.  He's pretty reliable and so I believe him.

Perch are an allowed bait

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Bouch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Where can you go on for Missisquoi bay?

Offline Chumdrunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:56 PM »
there is a fishing access by the bridge on the right side if your heading towards alburgh.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:19 AM »
Any snow on the Ice? Thanks

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:27 AM »
To Little Brown dog, the new regs say that in order to use perch for bait, you must catch them by "angling" only.  You can't angle throught the ice and so using perch for bait on the ice is illegal.  The bait dealer agreed with my interpretation but said the game warden wouldn't cite you for it.  Somebody needs to clarify that.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:44 AM »
JBritch, nice attempt at humor, but honestly there might be some on here that will think you're serious about angling...

Perch are legal as long as you've caught them by means of hook & line, (not netting) on the body of water you're using them as bait on.

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2013, 04:16 AM »
Any snow on the Ice? Thanks
Let me know after the storm. Thanks

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:18 AM »
For Mud Chuck: I wasn't being humorous; I was quoting from the regulations.  Perch to be used for bait while ice fishing must be taken by angling only.  Says it right there.  It's best to warn people and not give false information.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:41 AM »
JBritch, "angling" is with hook and line by definition, therefore thru the ice is legal...
What makes you think "angling" cannot be done thru the ice?

Offline Drakeman70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Just went on the VT Fish and Wildlife site and found the following document the link is here:

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/newrules/Fishing/2013_Baitfish_Rule_Annotated.pdf

This is the new annotated Bait fish rule.  It used to say perch had to be taking by angling, but now it says angling/ice fishing.

5.6.2. The following additional fish species, or parts thereof, may be taken only by angling/ice fishing and used for bait only in those waters where taken and shall not be transported alive from those waters; only Rainbow smelt may be commercially sold as bait:

Bluegill Lepomis macrochirus
          Pumpkinseed Lepomis gibbosus
          Rainbow smelt Osmerus mordax
          Rock bass Ambloplites rupestris
          Yellow perch Perca flavescens

Also I see what you mean by angling (the definition of angling in the law book is below and states that the person angling cannot take fish through the ICE or from the ice or from any object supported by the ice.

"Angling: Fishing by means of hook and line in hand or attached to a rod, or by casting or trolling artificial flies, lures or baited hooks, provided that the person angling does not take fish through the ice, from the ice or from any object supported by the ice. A person may take fish only by using not more than two lines of which he or she has immediate control. Each line may not have more than two baited hooks, or three artificial flies or two lures with or without bait."

But with the change to the law it looks like Ice Fishing is good to go as well so perch are fair game as long as you use them where you catch them.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Thanks, Drakeman.  I love it when I'm right.  Thanks for proving it for me.  It pays to grouse about the regulations; it's sometimes the best way to get them changed for the better. 

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:03 PM »
any post storm ice reports for the bay? any info would be appreciated.

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:46 AM »
bumpin it back to the top. going up next week. does anyone know how much ice is there now?

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:28 AM »
word has it 14" with a couple of inches of slush. gl
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:34 AM »
thank you slopoker and all the other nice VT iceshantians for the ice reports. we had a epic fishing weekend driving to tipups. thanks again. last bump i promise. lol

im already missing VT.  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.