New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373667 times)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #2880 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:04 PM »
I was able to have my best afternoon of 3 hrs of fishing yesterday. Caught limit of walleye, a small pike, and my first ever musky which went 35lbs 7oz, 50", 24" girth. What an epic afternoon on the ice for me.

Followed up this morning with 1 eye which went back down the hole bc she was a fatty and not a proper eater size for me.

Nice job out there .... Any pictures of the walleye or musky ? Think my buddy talked with you coming off the ice this morning ... Congrats on the epic morning ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2881 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Don't normally keep them this size but she was caught on a tip up and was not going to make it ..... Sorry for the bad pictures .... Also lost another one of this caliber at the hole, guess the 8 lb floro is not enough  :o

Budweiser pro staff

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2882 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Nice eyes. Not trying to get all preachy here but weighing that musky, presumably with the scale I see in the walleye pic, was not only irresponsible handling of the fish but illegal as well.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2883 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:37 PM »
Nice eyes. Not trying to get all preachy here but weighing that musky, presumably with the scale I see in the walleye pic, was not only irresponsible handling of the fish but illegal as well.

Before you preach maybe try to improve your reading comprehension I did not catch a musky chef .... It was obvious the walleye was not going to be released when it was weighed but thanks for the concern ... Posters like yourself maybe the reason no one shares photos much ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Dsportman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2884 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:47 PM »
God we need a “like button”

Offline mdm25549

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2885 on: Jan 05, 2019, 07:49 PM »
I’m assuming his post was aimed that the individual that did catch and weight a Muskie. Right above your post.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #2886 on: Jan 05, 2019, 08:54 PM »
You obviously didn't pay attention to who posted what and jumped in without thinking...btw how is it illegal any way to weigh a muskie?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2887 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:35 PM »

🤓 nice eye Abe

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2888 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:39 PM »
Obviously when I was referencing someone having caught a muskie I was talking about the someone that stated they caught a muskie, so who is it again that jumped without reading. If you would like me to get the excerpt from the rule book with the exact wording about what to do when you catch an out-of-season fish that pretty much says they must immediately be released after being caught I can but I don't think it's necessary. Weighing it before release does not constitute immediately, and holding a large Pike or Muskie vertically let alone from a scale like that can be fatal to the fish. A quick photo holding the fish horizontally sure  . Yes I am a muskie fisherman and I condone catch-and-release fishing of musky in season however I do believe that it is person's right to keep it if they so decide. If they're out of season the decision is already made for you and you owe it to the fish to handle it minimally even if the law did permit it. The nice eye part was meant for you eyehi

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2890 on: Jan 05, 2019, 10:49 PM »
As a fisherman it is my responsibility to abide by the laws. I failed to realize these laws were in place. Photos were obviously taken due to the size of the fish and then released. My apologies.

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2891 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:48 AM »
I saw a picture of that Musky, sure looked like a nice ifsh.  You caught it accidently and were not targeting Musky.  Other than the picture, the event was totally legal and most people do not realize taking a photo of a out of season fish is a no no. If a Conservation Officer was persent he may have just give you a warning.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2892 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:17 AM »
Ok ,
Just go to the regs book , page 54 & 65 , this is from the 2018-19 season ,

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2893 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:49 AM »
Don't normally keep them this size but she was caught on a tip up and was not going to make it ..... Sorry for the bad pictures .... Also lost another one of this caliber at the hole, guess the 8 lb floro is not enough  :o

Nice eye Abe..     :clap: :pinch: :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2894 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:46 AM »
what did the musky weigh? wish I seen the picture   :(

nice  eye   ;D

I  don't think blackmer   meant any harm  lets save the  crucifiction for  someone that really deserves it

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2895 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:53 AM »

Nice one. I feel your pain. I been running 12lb for a few years

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2896 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:04 AM »
what did the musky weigh? wish I seen the picture   :(

nice  eye   ;D

I  don't think blackmer   meant any harm  lets save the  crucifiction for  someone that really deserves it

I'm sure he didn't and that's why I went through the trouble of explaining why it is especially bad to do that with a large member of the esox family. Especially musky which are becoming increasingly rare . He owned it and apologized and I'm sure will think about it in the future if he is lucky enough to catch one again and kudos to him for that. Didn't turn into a pissing match til other people jumped in.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2897 on: Jan 06, 2019, 08:18 AM »
oh he seems like a good sort to me  ....and  you did a  nice job of informing ,and I think that's   important  .....I don't know about  where you live but a lot more muskies  been showing up  near my side on lake Ontario which is really nice

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2898 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Thanks for the congrats  fellas ..... Brutal north wind out there today  not one walleye this morning .... Anyone make it out today ?
Budweiser pro staff

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2899 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:46 AM »
No, heard the wind and stayed home.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2900 on: Jan 06, 2019, 02:52 PM »
That fish was awesome blackmer826...congrats . I would have taken a picture too.

I have to admit that I , and many others I believe,  have been guilty of the same offense.  I have taken pictures of smallmouth bass that I caught while ice fishing on Oneida lake the last 2 years during the closed season for bass.

I guess you could be 100% legal if one of your fishing partners snapped a pictures of you and the fish as you were removing the hook and releasing the fish back into the water.... In other words, no posing with the fish, just pictures of the fish during hook removal and quick release.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2901 on: Jan 06, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Thanks for the congrats  fellas ..... Brutal north wind out there today  not one walleye this morning .... Anyone make it out today ?
Everybody and their brother was on Goose Bay this morning. North wind was cranking nonstop.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #2902 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Now that I realize the new reg....I can understand but this fella prolly didn't know that at the time and he did realize it. Myself...since I never target muskie I didn't know that the season ended Nov. 30th....I wouldn't keep any muskie tiger or otherwise any way but I'm sure it was awesome to catch that fish...I would have been tempted to take a quick pic.....good subject and good now for all to know details and start with normal posts again.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2903 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:35 PM »
That fish was awesome blackmer826...congrats . I would have taken a picture too.

I have to admit that I , and many others I believe,  have been guilty of the same offense.  I have taken pictures of smallmouth bass that I caught while ice fishing on Oneida lake the last 2 years during the closed season for bass.

I guess you could be 100% legal if one of your fishing partners snapped a pictures of you and the fish as you were removing the hook and releasing the fish back into the water.... In other words, no posing with the fish, just pictures of the fish during hook removal and quick release.

Choo choo we have had the dec tell us to remove the hook from a sturgeon without removing it from the water .... Like that is possible on 2 foot of ice .... We wanted nothing to do with the fish just wanted the buckshot rattle back ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2904 on: Jan 06, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Hopefully after this weekend more waters will be locked up and we can target some more hot spots throughout NNY. Until then keeping the Spud handy and playing it safe. Hopefully Tuesdays warm spell doesn't hurt what we have currently made.

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2905 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:12 PM »

Nice wally eyehi! The one in my avatar was just north of 10# also, didn't want to keep her but she took the treble right to her gullet, didn't think she would have made it. Think it was 5 years ago now. Time flies as you get older.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2906 on: Jan 06, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Choo choo we have had the dec tell us to remove the hook from a sturgeon without removing it from the water .... Like that is possible on 2 foot of ice .... We wanted nothing to do with the fish just wanted the buckshot rattle back ...
I hear you eyehi...we can just do the best we can sometimes .

By the way, one heck of a beautiful walleye you caught !l  congrats
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2907 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:19 PM »
tiger musky are open so taking a picture then releasing is fine

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2908 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:24 PM »
..since I never target muskie I didn't know that the season ended Nov. 30th....I wouldn't keep any muskie tiger or otherwise any way but I'm sure it was awesome to catch that fish...I would have been tempted to take a quick pic.....good subject and good now for all to know details and start with normal posts again.
Muskellunge can be targeted , and is open until December 15 in a couple of places in New York state.

Offline Big Tupper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2909 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Blackmer amazing Musky I think anyone would have taking a picture of that beast, being from the North Country myself you had to take a picture or none of your buddies would have believed you and said you were full of %^&%.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.