New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373667 times)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #2820 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Will be interested to hear how u make out up there .... Keep us posted ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline wishinfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2821 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:46 PM »
If I make it there I will, looking a little iffy with work, but wanted to go to the Pike challenge the 24th as well hope the weather is good. It was cancelled last two years in a row because of unsafe ice.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2822 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Conditions are much better this year .... Louisville fire department has taken over running the tournament from the walleye association ..... Looks to be the same format as past years ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline Preettiwana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2823 on: Feb 15, 2018, 01:32 PM »
Hi I m coming to ny through Champlain border n want to fish lake Champlain bays this Saturday. My fishing buddy is busy on work. I want a small advice where I can safely park my car n walk from shore or I can join anyone for that day. This is my first time I m fishing N.Y. side

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2824 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:46 AM »
Extended forecast is looking pretty warm for ice folks. Looking like an early spring

Offline wishinfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2825 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:45 AM »
Anybody wanna speculate on what next weeks weather may do to the ice around the Waddington Massena area ??? I know its warming up but the bigger problem is mid week almost 2" of rain spread out over three days . I'm not sure how much ice is there now or if it will affect the pike challenge next weekend.
Thanks in advance.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2826 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:54 PM »
I am not sure about the fishing derby but there will be good ice for a while yet ....below zero wind chill tonight ... I will post here if I get any info on the derby ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2827 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:35 PM »
I am not sure about the fishing derby but there will be good ice for a while yet ....below zero wind chill tonight ... I will post here if I get any info on the derby ....

Wind chill does not affect ice growth like it does our skin. Whatever the air temp is, thats what we are working with. But your right theres lots of ice and it will be safe for quite a while.

Offline NNYeyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2828 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:02 AM »

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2829 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Wind chill does not affect ice growth like it does our skin. Whatever the air temp is, thats what we are working with. But your right theres lots of ice and it will be safe for quite a while.
Wind will cause ice to freeze, or grow, at a faster rate; given air temps below freezing.  It removes the heat at a quicker rate.  Does not change the freezing point or temperature, but will speed the ice development by taking away heat at a faster rate.  Lots of research out there on that.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2830 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Wind will cause ice to freeze, or grow, at a faster rate; given air temps below freezing.  It removes the heat at a quicker rate.  Does not change the freezing point or temperature, but will speed the ice development by taking away heat at a faster rate.  Lots of research out there on that.

Didnt argue that Phil. My only point, "wind chill" is a human factor. If the wind chill is -20 but the air temp is 15*, wind may help get theice surface temp down to 15* faster, but once there. Thats it..  its still just gonna be 15*, just not to our skin..

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2831 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:54 AM »
fish for  pike  is  100%  correct  this  is  why you blow  on  food  before  you  put it in  your  mouth ..... wind chill will  also  cause  fuel  to  jell faster in a  fuel tank ...it  won't  make  the  actual temp  lower  it  just  cools  the  surrounding  mass   to  actual  temp faster ......  on open  water   a  wind  blowing over water  will cause  it  to  cool below  actual temp  ,this  is  from  evaporation..... you  also  have  what is  called  venturi effect   that's  what causes  icing in  carbutators  even  in the  summer  time   ;D.......... trapper  the  science  guy 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2832 on: Feb 18, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Didnt argue that Phil. My only point, "wind chill" is a human factor. If the wind chill is -20 but the air temp is 15*, wind may help get theice surface temp down to 15* faster, but once there. Thats it..  its still just gonna be 15*, just not to our skin..
Not an arguement - just an explanation.  I like ice, without the windchill - that I can "feel".   :icefish:  Weather this week - ain't looking great.  Got a ways to go though.

Offline NNYeyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2833 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:51 PM »

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2834 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Nice catch man .... Not sure where you were fishing but I was on White House bay today and the conditions are heading downhill fast .... Not looking very good for the rest of the week either ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2835 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Anyone fishing today? It sure is a cold one out there..

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2836 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Anyone preparing for the derby, take note, they have dropped the water and it has affected a lot of the bays, around Waddington/Coles Creek are gonna be really tough to get on/off with a machine, or in general.. its a few feet drop from the bank down and its glare ice.. if you can, go and scout before derby day so you know how to tackle it.

Offline the pike hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2837 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:35 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could give me an ice condition update on cranberry lake for friday, sat and sunday.  I have a trip planned to go pike fishing with some buddies, we were planning on going right off the public beach, thank you any info is greatly appreciated, it is a 3.5 hour drive for me.
the pike hunter

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2838 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Going there tomorrow, will give an update.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an ice condition update on cranberry lake for friday, sat and sunday.  I have a trip planned to go pike fishing with some buddies, we were planning on going right off the public beach, thank you any info is greatly appreciated, it is a 3.5 hour drive for me.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2839 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Anyone preparing for the derby, take note, they have dropped the water and it has affected a lot of the bays, around Waddington/Coles Creek are gonna be really tough to get on/off with a machine, or in general.. its a few feet drop from the bank down and its glare ice.. if you can, go and scout before derby day so you know how to tackle it.

Good advise hear, not sure why the water is down so much this year ..... They advertised the derby on the channel 7 news last night so it looks like they are preparing to have the event ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2840 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:33 AM »
Website for derby confirms it is on.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2841 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:09 AM »
Website for derby confirms it is on.

I just saw this as well .... time to go check some spots and get bait .... interested to see what the edges will look like ....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2842 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:23 AM »
Yo Phil,

Thanks for the invite my friend. I am house bound for the foreseeable future. I had hoped to get up there with you one more time before "Ice out". I will be reading your reports till then.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline the pike hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2843 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Hello: did anyone fish cranberry today, i was looking for a report wanted to get on at the public beach in the morning, thank you
the pike hunter

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2844 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:16 PM »
14" on cranberry, rode ATV today. All glare ice. Some drain holes to watch out for however

Offline the pike hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2845 on: Feb 22, 2018, 05:18 PM »
thank you so much I am going to be there at about 7 if you want to fish again tomorrow, thank you so much for the info
the pike hunter

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2846 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Does anyone know where the best access is to get on Goose Bay just north of Alex bay?   Fished there in the spring from Kringle point state park.

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2847 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:51 AM »
Off Rt 12, just north east of Alex Bay, there used to be a big sign saying Goose bay.  There is a boat launch and parking there.  Its called Goose Bay Road.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2848 on: Feb 23, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Yep - just off Rt.12  Drive to the ramp to unload then park in the lot.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2849 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:39 PM »
Nice weather forecast for the derby tomorrow ..... Lots of standing water on the edges of most places .... Coles creek looked the worst and the water is real low in most spots .... Good luck to all  :tipup:
Budweiser pro staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.