New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373671 times)

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #2340 on: Jan 08, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Hi fellow NYers to the North!! I'm taking the family camping in the ADKs this year at the end of August. Does anybody have info on Harris Lake by any chance? We are tent campers and bring a couple canoes to go fishing. I'm a walleye guy and my kids love catching and cooking a couple meals while camping. Please PM me  if you're willing to help me out a little. Thanks guys.

Offline fishyfingers247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2341 on: Jan 08, 2016, 02:28 PM »
Any news on moon lake or red lake. Had some luck at moon last year

I heard moon is fishable now. Haven't seen with my own eyes tho.
Dont bother askin when ill be home, you know when it gets dark out

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2342 on: Jan 08, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Anyone know if the st. Lawrence is high or lower then usually rt now. Haven't had a chance to scout around.
last time I was there in mid November it seemed lower I was in waddington
FISH ON!🎣

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2343 on: Jan 09, 2016, 04:00 PM »
been a tough bite so far this week/weekend.. few pike not much size :tipup:

Offline teddyd1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ya you can find us where the Jiggins at
« Reply #2344 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Any safe ice  up north ? looking to get out next weekend anywhere!!
Bustin balls and framin walls

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2345 on: Jan 10, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Any safe ice  up north ? looking to get out next weekend anywhere!!

Its in the 40's and got an inch of rain today...  What ever there was is gone. Now expecting as much as 2 feet of lake snow.....   Not looking good.....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Berkley4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2346 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:05 PM »
I was able to get out on 1/7 in Essex county.  First fillets of the year!

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2347 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Way to go Berkley nice catch.

hinkydo

Offline SILVR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2348 on: Jan 10, 2016, 10:48 PM »
im jealous!!!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2349 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Anybody been out today to survey the damage?
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline SPN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2350 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:10 AM »
Nice haul!!!  Cant wait till Saturday!!!!  :tipup:

Offline teddyd1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2351 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:20 AM »
Looking like cold weather coming and snow missing most of the north any condition updates appreciated

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2352 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:37 PM »
Hyde lake should be good by this weekend right?
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2353 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:09 PM »
I found ice. And more than I expected after yesterday!

Had about 1.5" crust, another inch of water and 5" of good ice. I expect that water to freeze up tonight. I'll be out all day tmmrw  ;D finally
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2354 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Here's my location clue  ;D

Offline wranglerdrvr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2355 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Good going. I dig your measuring device.  ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2356 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:21 PM »
Hyde lake should be good by this weekend right?
Hyde may gotten a good dose of snow - that would be bad, at this point.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2357 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Good going. I dig your measuring device.  ;D

Keeps the tipup holes ice free  :tipup:

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2358 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:34 PM »
I'll be back at it tomorrow through the weekend.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2359 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:44 PM »
I'm coming up from Philadelphia Pennsylvania and have ice fished Chippewa bay in the st lawrence once and had a lot of fun but didn't land any pike probably because it was our first time ever ice fishing and we really didn't know too much. I've learned a lot since then and caught a bunch of pike in PA. I'm looking to head to New York weekend of the 22nd to maybe the sacandaga lake. I want to have a good trip but don't want to waste my time and money and get skunked. can anyone tell me what lake to go to and catch pike and have a chance at some big ones I heard the sacandaga is dubbed the Dead Sea which worries me ??

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2360 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:25 PM »
You could easily get skunked. You could also nail a 40+. If you want awesome odds at success I would keep right on trucking through NY into Ontario.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2361 on: Jan 11, 2016, 04:34 PM »
That's too far, I'm only looking to spend all day Friday all day Saturday fishing. The Adirondacks are around 5 hours from me and I'm driving up Thursday after work and leaving Sunday afternoon. I won't have time to go to Ontario. You have any other lakes or anything in mind that might be Better than sacandaga ? Pike/musky is all I want.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2362 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:44 AM »
I'm fishin stinkin today if anybody wants to meet up. Pm me. Hopefully tonight's fish fry doesn't taste like chicken  ::)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2363 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:48 AM »
That's too far, I'm only looking to spend all day Friday all day Saturday fishing. The Adirondacks are around 5 hours from me and I'm driving up Thursday after work and leaving Sunday afternoon. I won't have time to go to Ontario. You have any other lakes or anything in mind that might be Better than sacandaga ? Pike/musky is all I want.

Well you can't touch muskies through the ice in NY for starters... I would give you a suggestion but it's not frozen enough. Sacandaga might be your best choice spread some tipups and have fun.

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #2364 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:00 AM »
I did the treck around jefferson county yesterday checking ice on the normal early ice spots:

Perch lake: folks have been fishing it for a week now, there was 5 inches as of last friday, wheelers were out on it. (although I question the intellegence of the opperators given the weather we have had. the rain and wind sunday chewed out the access and there was open water between shore and the ice.

Moon and Payne were both still 100% ice covered but looked a bit too scetchy at the shore for a solo walk.
Red was 80% covered but very high from all the flooding so things will shift alot as it comes down over the next week
I didn't bother with LOTW or millsite as they are always last to firm up.
I forgot to check hyde but it is usually about the same as perch. I would expect they will both be ok for walkers this weekend.

As of 8am this morning the lake effect still had not come north of Rt 12 so these lakes are still relatively snow free.
I will do another treck around before the weekend and check the st lawrence bays as well.
If you absolutly have to fish somewhere before the weekend perch lake is probably your only choice in this area.

be safe, I would rather not read about you on newzjunky.

Offline teddyd1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2365 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:20 AM »
Northernnyice where's the ice?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2366 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:12 AM »
All over the state

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2367 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:15 PM »
I did the treck around jefferson county yesterday checking ice on the normal early ice spots:

Perch lake: folks have been fishing it for a week now, there was 5 inches as of last friday, wheelers were out on it. (although I question the intellegence of the opperators given the weather we have had. the rain and wind sunday chewed out the access and there was open water between shore and the ice.

Moon and Payne were both still 100% ice covered but looked a bit too scetchy at the shore for a solo walk.
Red was 80% covered but very high from all the flooding so things will shift alot as it comes down over the next week
I forgot to check hyde but it is usually about the same as perch. I would expect they will both be ok for walkers this weekend.

As of 8am this morning the lake effect still had not come north of Rt 12 so these lakes are still relatively snow free.
I will do another treck around before the weekend and check the st lawrence bays as well.
If you absolutly have to fish somewhere before the weekend perch lake is probably your only choice in this area.

Great report thanks!!!! @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline tipupjeff521

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2368 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:00 PM »
Wow there's ice all over the state! Some good helpful info right there. I've never been so excited to go swimming
take me to the iceeeeeeeeee

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2369 on: Jan 12, 2016, 04:32 PM »

Awesome can't wait for an update
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.