New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373680 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #2190 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Total failure today with the jiffy propane. Small leak in the fuel line turned into the hose splitting and the regulator hanging on by a thread. Not happy Jiffy!!!!

It also leaks propane out  of the fitting going into the carb, and it also leaks oil right out of the base. Junker...

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2191 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:41 PM »
That SUCKS !!! 

Warranty ??

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2192 on: Feb 27, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Total failure today with the jiffy propane. Small leak in the fuel line turned into the hose splitting and the regulator hanging on by a thread. Not happy Jiffy!!!!

It also leaks propane out  of the fitting going into the carb, and it also leaks oil right out of the base. Junker...
That SUCKS X 2  Should be under warranty

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2193 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Phew. Glad I went with the 4 stroke strike master. That jiffy almost sold me.
Sorry to hear about your luck. That's to bad, I know its like brand new, and it sure is a bad time of the season to have a failure!
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline lakerman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2194 on: Feb 27, 2015, 05:59 PM »
one word ION, been using it all season, great auger, minus 15 drill like mad, doesnt slow down ,never going back to gas

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2195 on: Feb 27, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Luckily we have 3 augers. My auger is under warranty and will be covered. Everyone in the north country, there is a Jiffy Service Tech in Waddington. Steves Small Engine. He is gonna fix me up

I cant complain about the power, starts easy, runs good, but the regulator and fuel line and the fittings are bunk. Freezing and leaking.. its a common problem with these. It was -17* up here this morning but still...Wish i woulda got the Strikemaster honda..

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2196 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about the auger......  Thanks for the info on the jiffy repair shop thats good to know..... Did you catch any fish ?
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2197 on: Feb 27, 2015, 08:47 PM »
Sorry to hear about the auger......  Thanks for the info on the jiffy repair shop thats good to know..... Did you catch any fish ?

Caught a few pike. Nothing big. Changing spots tomorrow.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2198 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:49 AM »
One more keeper walleye this morning.....not a bite after sunrise  :'(
Budweiser pro staff

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2199 on: Feb 28, 2015, 12:33 PM »
Tomorrow will be much better I'm sure. Today's barometer is the highest it's been all winter. The falling graph and warm temps tmrw, you bet your a$$ I'll be out there!
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2200 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:20 PM »
I will be out on the St.Lawrence tomorrow morning nice and early, hoping to nail some wallys in the morning and switch up for some pike mid morning / afternoon.  Family is coming out later in the day, should be a nice warm Sunday supposedly!  Warm at least for this year!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2201 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Just watched a 41.5" x 19" slob hit the ice. Super tanker. Thing was obese!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2202 on: Feb 28, 2015, 02:01 PM »
Just watched a 41.5" x 19" slob hit the ice. Super tanker. Thing was obese!
Nice!  BUT -----  Sky-Hi barometer - fish aren't biting!  ::)

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2203 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Nice!  BUT -----  Sky-Hi barometer - fish aren't biting!  ::)
Weird huh? I know of two fish over 40" caught on the same lake today
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2204 on: Feb 28, 2015, 04:19 PM »
put up xsum pics

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2205 on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Weird huh? I know of two fish over 40" caught on the same lake today

This is a good sign of things to come in the next couple weeks  ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2206 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Another weekend, another big pike.  Personally haven't caught a good one in quite a few trips, but has been great to be involved in getting these big fish onto the ice then back in the water.  Big dead baits, tis the season.  Lots of quality fish lost this weekend, ratio was 13:1 for flags:fish...
Congrats to zweber on a true NY giant! We put in some hours this weekend for one fish, but was worth it.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2207 on: Mar 02, 2015, 01:04 AM »
Luckily we have 3 augers. My auger is under warranty and will be covered. Everyone in the north country, there is a Jiffy Service Tech in Waddington. Steves Small Engine. He is gonna fix me up

I cant complain about the power, starts easy, runs good, but the regulator and fuel line and the fittings are bunk. Freezing and leaking.. its a common problem with these. It was -17* up here this morning but still...Wish i woulda got the Strikemaster honda..

Same thing happened to me with the Jiffy fuel line.  Jiffy sent me a new one no questions asked, free of charge.  Heck, the fittings were even teflon taped and ready to go.  IMO the fuel line is flexible enough and doesn't hold up to the cold weather or cold propane.  It just ends up cracking and leaking.  Other than that the auger runs great, but definitely isn't gonna last as long as the ones built back in the day.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline mcangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2208 on: Mar 02, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I have had a jiffy propane 10" for the third season now and I love it no problems only thing is if temps are -15 or so you need to have a warm tank not one that had a 60mph road trip to the lake. I wouldn't go back to a gas auger again starts 1-2 pulls everytime. I wouldn't be afraid of the eskimo propane either they are a little cheaper than the jiffy.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2209 on: Mar 02, 2015, 04:10 PM »
I have had a jiffy propane 10" for the third season now and I love it no problems only thing is if temps are -15 or so you need to have a warm tank not one that had a 60mph road trip to the lake. I wouldn't go back to a gas auger again starts 1-2 pulls everytime. I wouldn't be afraid of the eskimo propane either they are a little cheaper than the jiffy.

i always keep my propane warm right up to when I screw it onto the auger to cut. I store my auger in my mud room. So its always warm. Like you said, it always starts with a couple pulls, and runs great. All power, and cuts nice. But the fuel lines are just junk! I hope the regulator/fuel line Jiffy is sending me holds up better..

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2210 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Were you out in the wind today NNYIce?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2211 on: Mar 02, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Were you out in the wind today NNYIce?

Nope. Be out tomorrow though. You?

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2212 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Ya. Its was insane down here at times. Got a 30" at 7am, and a 37" @ 9am. Then it shut right off when the wind kicked up. Yesterday was the same exact story with fish, but backwards. Weird
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2213 on: Mar 03, 2015, 09:17 AM »
Had a couple rough days this past weekend.  Caught a couple dink walleye early sunday morning then no flags on our pike setup.  Tried a combination of dead and live bait.  No flags all weekend, tried a couple new spots that had no signs of previous traffic, guess those were a flop.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2214 on: Mar 14, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Well boys, my season is wrapped up. Cant complain, spent a lot of days on the ice. Broke one auger, broke one ATV, lost one set of truck keys on the ice, blew a trailer tire and only got one ticket.. But thats what happens when you fish as much as some pwople work. Not complaining tho!! it was a fairly good year. Hammered the walleyes early, got some fillets and caught some big ones. Did pretty well on the pike, probably 6 or 7 40+" pike hit the ice between me and the boys. I got a 20+lb'r. Had a lot of extreme highs, lows, laughs and frustration. It came and went.

Tomorrow i will be working on the boat getting prepared for musky season, just around the corner ;D Lot of hooks to sharpen.

How did everyone elses seasons go?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2215 on: Mar 20, 2015, 10:59 AM »
Nobody?  ???

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2216 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:05 PM »
I'm having a pretty good season - not done for some time yet.  Was out on Black Lake today - ice is 18 - 20" and solid.  All snow and slush is either gone or froze up solid.  Really nice moving around.  Not many out fishing.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2217 on: Mar 20, 2015, 05:27 PM »
I'm not done either. Switched over to lakers till ice out. Fished for steelhead today though, just to switch it up a little. I'm pretty happy with my season. I didn't break the 20lb mark with pike, but did catch quite a few 15+ and broke 20lbs with a tiger. Also broke my PB on a laker last week at 32.5". So, overall, I'm happy. I fished a lot, and I fished hard. I only sat out 16 days straight in February when I absolutely couldn't move to my spots. But hey, it allowed me to catch up on chores from the rest of the weeks I was out 4-5 days a week. I met some awesome guys this year! And it's all due to this site. I hope I can land a couple more bruisers of lake trout top side before ice out! Good luck to those still walkin on water.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2218 on: Mar 21, 2015, 02:16 PM »
I have no great opportunities for lakers up here unfortunately, and i have absolutely no interest in panfishing. Ive shifted gears anyway. Im about ready to go back to work so I will be very busy and I have my sights set on musky season. Topwater fishing, getting smashed at boatside on a bucktail in the figure 8. Heaven lol.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2219 on: Mar 21, 2015, 03:48 PM »
I have no great opportunities for lakers up here unfortunately, and i have absolutely no interest in panfishing. Ive shifted gears anyway. Im about ready to go back to work so I will be very busy and I have my sights set on musky season. Topwater fishing, getting smashed at boatside on a bucktail in the figure 8. Heaven lol.
If I lived up there, I'd never leave that river lol. I am lucky enough to have tigers fairly close to home, so I'll be spending a lot of my weekends in the boat after them. I'm headed back to work shortly myself.
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.