New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373668 times)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #2160 on: Feb 18, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Walleye or pike ? ..... Hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon.....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2161 on: Feb 18, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Pike. Last couple walleye trips i havnt caught nawthin.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2162 on: Feb 19, 2015, 07:49 AM »
Anyone fishing the walleye association derby saturday ?....... Going out to check some spots out later today.....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2163 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:18 AM »
I had thought about it. But I never registered the sled. Not looking forward to the walk if I do attend. I'll  see what the weekend brings. 

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2164 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Saturday looks to be the warmest day we have had in a while......a friend of mine has plowed a large path wih his truck out from the marina toward the middle of coles creek bay.....i heard they are trying to find someone to plow some paths at the 4 major bays to make travel easier but not sure if it will happen.....i just drove by wilson hill and there is a truck on the ice there....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2165 on: Feb 19, 2015, 11:04 AM »
That sounds promising.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2166 on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Good Lord willing I will be in the SLRWA Derby on Saturday. I went for a drive the other night also to check things out. Fobares Pond looked like it had 6" of slush with at least a foot of snow. Coles Creek river side wasn't to bad but the water is down what looks like 5-6' lower than normal. Guys are going to have to be mindful of where they are drilling holes there and at Wilson Hill. Would really suck to bury your auger into the mud.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2167 on: Feb 19, 2015, 06:23 PM »
A few years back on derby day some guys next to use were having auger troubles and asked if we had one they could borrow.....sure enough they buried my buddies 10" jiffy right into the sand :o......
Budweiser pro staff

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2168 on: Feb 19, 2015, 06:38 PM »
That sucks, that would be my luck with trying to help somebody out. Not that I am a seasoned veteran ice fisherman, but, whenever I am drilling once I break through and hit water I stop and lift the auger up. Have witnessed many guy's drop the auger to the power head once they break through, never really understood that. Same with guy's beating the auger up and down when the bit is iced over and won't drill, just creating bigger problems for themselves.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2169 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Went by fobares and coles to check out the ice conditions around noon today.  Looks like there is definitely a path from the marina out towards coles bay, a small path at sandy beach out about 50 yards, looks like they plowed some slush and turned around.  Nothing for a path by the causeway by fobares farm.  There was some open water right there though... not sure if that is where the pipe comes out or something.  It did look like the access was plowed out right there though.  I didnt have my auger with me so did not check ice on fobares.  If anyone does could you please post an update? 

Talking about burying your auger... last year at wilson hill with the 3 ft of ice we had mid season I remember never hitting water in one spot... sucked ass.  Will never do that again!  :P

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2170 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:01 PM »
Went by fobares and coles to check out the ice conditions around noon today.  Looks like there is definitely a path from the marina out towards coles bay, a small path at sandy beach out about 50 yards, looks like they plowed some slush and turned around.  Nothing for a path by the causeway by fobares farm.  There was some open water right there though... not sure if that is where the pipe comes out or something.  It did look like the access was plowed out right there though.  I didnt have my auger with me so did not check ice on fobares.  If anyone does could you please post an update? 

Talking about burying your auger... last year at wilson hill with the 3 ft of ice we had mid season I remember never hitting water in one spot... sucked ass.  Will never do that again!  :P

Theres bound to be a pile of ice at fobears. That should be no worry. Just dont go near the culvert pipes.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2171 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:47 PM »
Good luck to everyone fishing the derby tomorrow and stay safe.......my plans have changed several times due to snowmobile problems but a chance meeting wih an old friend at the gas station has us back on track to fish at wilson hill  ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2172 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:06 PM »
are they going to be selling bait at the gas station this year again? I know they sold a TON of bait the last time i fished the tourney. 

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2173 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:18 PM »
Over 800 anglers, big pike 14 lbs, big walleye 10 lbs, 9 years of good times with friends priceless..... Our group landed 2 nd place pike final hour  @)
Budweiser pro staff

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2174 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:57 AM »
It always is a good tourney. Glad they had a large crowd. Was all set to go but got called in to work. Ooh well maybe next year. Congrats for the second place cash.  :tipup:

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2175 on: Feb 22, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Well after a long weekend camping out on the ice, the first annual Genny Light Bowl Two Day Derby has reached its end and my buddy Marky Mark took home the hardware with a 10lb and 15lb northerns. I did not do squat, other then managing one small fish and losing a good one. LastCast69 also competed in the grueling day and night 2 day event, among others.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2176 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Sounds like it was a good weekend out on the ice none the less.  @)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2177 on: Feb 23, 2015, 02:17 PM »
Nice, fat northern!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2178 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:17 AM »
Nice fish!  We didnt have much for luck during the SLRWA tourny but we had fun.  Caught 40-50 dink perch out of one hole  :P no pike, no walleye, but I did find mud twice at wilson hill!

There is a tourny this weekend on Chateaugay lake and I have been really wanting to get out there, this looks like a good reason to go.  Anyone have ice conditions on the upper lake?  Much for slush?  Are people driving trucks right out like last year at this time?

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2179 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:33 AM »
Great weekend on the ice in Northern NY.  Was finally warm enough to spend the night on the ice, giving us two full days of fishing.  Of our group, my friend Mark kicked butt with a 10, and 15lb northern.  Big dead baits were producing well, and will likely continue to until the soon approaching end to the season.  Sorry for the edit, but everyone knows what happens when a picture can identify a spot, and then the spot gets named, and then you show up to fish it and there are 20 people set up there and you have to find a new spot...which is too much work for me with all this snow and slush  ;)  As usual, all fish were released unharmed. 

Very nice fish! I'm curious, were they hitting big dead bait both days?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2180 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Very nice fish! I'm curious, were they hitting big dead bait both days?

Yep

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2181 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Yep
So things are starting to transition up there. Sounds like its game on for you guys and I'm sure we will see some monsters very soon! I'm hoping things start to change down here soon.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline pierce1308

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2182 on: Feb 24, 2015, 02:39 PM »
What size were the dead baits? 6-8"? 8-10"? 10"+? cause i was thinking of trying a mix of dead and live bait tmrw on the. river

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2183 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:42 PM »
What size were the dead baits? 6-8"? 8-10"? 10"+? cause i was thinking of trying a mix of dead and live bait tmrw on the. river
I'd use a variety of everything you just mentioned.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline bigmattyp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2184 on: Feb 24, 2015, 04:21 PM »
What do you guys use for dead bait (variety of fish)?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2185 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:58 PM »
You can use whatever. Big suckers work good. 8-12". Hard to say what they will want in your lake or river. Get some nice big live suckers and use them. When they die just keep using them, lol.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #2186 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:19 AM »
Hey Ice dog 69 are you still getting them in Horseshoe.
Mr.Esox

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2187 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Walleye bite was on fire at first light this morning....size was another issue......kept one nice one in the 4-5 lb range and 7 jumbo perch between two of us.....wind and snow were brutal when we left  >:(
Budweiser pro staff

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2188 on: Feb 25, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Walleye bite was on fire at first light this morning....size was another issue......kept one nice one in the 4-5 lb range and 7 jumbo perch between two of us.....wind and snow were brutal when we left  >:(

Nice :tipup: I hope the walleye fishing picks back up for me, would like to get a few more evenings in this season, I just cant stop chasing big pike. So much to do and so little time lol

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2189 on: Feb 25, 2015, 07:59 PM »
I belive the fighing will really get good next week with the warm temps predicted......still have a few vacation days saved up that will be used before the season closes...... I agree with you we a running low on time  :'(
Budweiser pro staff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.