New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373670 times)

Offline Wnthunting

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #1890 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Looks like u had fun ... And your gonna eat good too :)

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #1891 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Nice job guys
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1892 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Nice fish!

Just trying to keep this thread in perspective, not sure where you guys are fishing but this is a northern NY thread, not all ADK's are northern ny'ish. Not discouraging anyone from posting pics or results or anything at all, but lets keep this like northern NY, not upstate NY lol.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1893 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:05 AM »
From an out of stater.     What is the difference between  northern NY. And up state?

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1894 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:07 AM »
Do u want our version or the state's version ?  :P I think the state feels it's new York city and Westchester are downstate  and Albany is upstate , I live in Canada to them lol

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1895 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:54 AM »
From an out of stater.     What is the difference between  northern NY. And up state?
[/quote
I was told, That people from down state could drive to up state NY. They had NO idea where Northern NY was.....YET.....h2l
Northville, NY

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1896 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:51 AM »
Depends, where in NY State you live.  To the city dwellers (that's NY City) Upstate is just north of the City.  To us, that live north of Albany - it's an imaginary line, drawn East to West from some where north of Albany to Lake Ontario< north of Syracuse.  Most of us would say Watertown and North to Canada.  In other words - there is no "real" definition.

Offline FISHINEYES

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1897 on: Jan 01, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Yeah, It definitely depends on where you live. I,m just south of watertown and always considered anywhere above NYS thruway as Northern NY.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1898 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:15 AM »
Yeah, It definitely depends on where you live. I,m just south of watertown and always considered anywhere above NYS thruway as Northern NY.

;D  Then what is CNY (Central NY) to you?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1899 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Draw a line straight across the state at Watertown. Anything north is northern ny. Anyone who lives somewhere in the area between Watertown and south down to Syracuse, that is NOT northern NY. Srycause region is CNY, in my opinion. From south of Syracuse region down past the capital district getting down towards nyc is upstate NY, in my opinion.

The term upstate NY is in regard to NYC. Not the state itself! Its easy to look at a map of NY and say, well that's north, so that's UPstate.. But the "up" is in regards to the city, so anything above NYC city is up. Upstate.

So I think anything north of like Newburgh up to Albany is definite upstate NY. Once you hit Newburgh you might as well be in the city, in my opinion. Somewhere between Albany and Syracuse there is a grey area where upstate meets central NY. And somewhere west of Syracuse there is a grey area where central meets WNY.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #1900 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:21 AM »
I think of it this way....

And if you ask most of the people in Long Island or NYC
its like this
but the line is closer to the city (below where it says state)

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1901 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:23 AM »

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1902 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:25 AM »
No way.

like I said that's the way I think of it..... I went to school in cortland which is CNY in my opinion and I consider upstate the same as northern but thats just my opinion.... also I live 40 minutes from Newburgh and that is not "upstate" that's still downstate in my opinion

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1903 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:28 AM »
like I said that's the way I think of it..... I went to school in cortland which is CNY in my opinion and I consider upstate the same as northern but thats just my opinion....

I agree on Cortland being central NY. But i think a lot of people consider upstate NY below central NY. Central NY is a wayyyy smaller region then you have shown on that map. Honestly come up here and ask anyone and I mean anyone if this is upstate NY and people will laugh at you.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1904 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:33 AM »
I agree on Cortland being central NY. But i think a lot of people consider upstate NY below central NY. Central NY is a wayyyy smaller region then you have shown on that map. Honestly come up here and ask anyone and I mean anyone if this is upstate NY and people will laugh at you.

I just use the "arm" of ny as a easy reference point for people who don't know (mainly people from li and the city) I could get more detailed in another map if you want me to split "upstate" and "Northern." I go up to Raquette Lake and the Daks every summer for work and I know theres probably another 3 hours till I get to the canada border..... my honest opinion of "Northern" and "Upstate"  is A line across from rochester and a line across from watertown between those is upstate and anything north of the line from watertown until plattsburgh is "Northern" and anything above that might as well be Canada lol but anything north of the watertown line is northern in my opinion.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1905 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:35 AM »

Yup. Heck the wife and I are sitting on Colby in Saranac lake and I cantwait to fish back home. The wife goes to school in Ithaca and they describe where we live as Canada. Lol.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1906 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:35 AM »
hey loudmouth did you get many walleye last season on greenwood

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1907 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Yup. Heck the wife and I are sitting on Colby in Saranac lake and I cantwait to fish back home. The wife goes to school in Ithaca and they describe where we live as Canada. Lol.

Freshman and my last semester of grad school year my roommate(s) were from long island and they considered everything but long island upstate go figure lol They couldn't believe how much land there actually was and didn't know what those things with black and white spots were....

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1908 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:41 AM »
I just use the "arm" of ny as a easy reference point for people who don't know (mainly people from li and the city) I could get more detailed in another map if you want me to split "upstate" and "Northern." I go up to Raquette Lake and the Daks every summer for work and I know theres probably another 3 hours till I get to the canada border..... my honest opinion of "Northern" and "Upstate"  is A line across from rochester and a line across from watertown between those is upstate and anything north of the line from watertown until plattsburgh is "Northern" and anything above that might as well be Canada lol but anything north of the watertown line is northern in my opinion.

I agree more with this. Expect for the last thing lol. If everyone considers the TRUE north to might as well be Canada, then this thread should disband and move to the Ontario section lol. Because many of us are right up on the river, looking at Canada.

But we are still American..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1909 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:41 AM »
I think of it this way....

That's because you live "down" there.  @)

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1910 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:43 AM »
I agree more with this. Expect for the last thing lol. If everyone considers the TRUE north to might as well be Canada, then this thread should disband and move to the Ontario section lol. Because many of us are right up on the river, looking at Canada.
But we are still American..

I guess the lol wasn't enough to show my sarcasm
and anything above that might as well be Canada lol

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1911 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:45 AM »
I guess the lol wasn't enough to show my sarcasm

Yeah I got that you were joking, slick..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1912 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:48 AM »
That's because you live "down" there.  @)

Haha.... If you saw the area I live in you wouldn't believe it existed this close to the city (Im 60 miles from the city) All farmland and Woods for the most part nice little farming community where everyone knows everyone

But this is what the "officials" think too many sections if you ask me but the "North Country" does have a nice ring to it.... its pretty much broken up by landscape for the most part

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1913 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Yes the north country is what we who live up here usually call it. I refer to it as the north country usually when talking to people from up here. Our local news is www.northcountrynow.co m

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1914 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:56 AM »
And yes, too many regions. Just goes to show we live in a pretty cool, geographically diverse state. Despite all the negativity that gets shed on us.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1915 on: Jan 01, 2015, 11:08 AM »
And yes, too many regions. Just goes to show we live in a pretty cool, geographically diverse state. Despite all the negativity that gets shed on us.

I think the city causes most of the negativity....

Not going to lie tho I love going up to the Dacks every year it's beautiful up there working on hiking all the high peaks. Also, its cool all the different accents everyone has as well.... My uncle used to live in the Mineville area and when his brother comes down to visit there's a bit of an accent also people from the city have bit of an accent... I'm sure I have one as well to some people.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1916 on: Jan 01, 2015, 11:50 AM »
I've always differed upstate and northern ny like this... north of Albany to me is upstate ny and I generally think of northern ny as Essex, Clinton, Franklin, St Lawrence and the northern parts of Hamilton, Lewis and Jefferson counties... but that's just my opinion

I have family and I lived in Elizabethtown and it's a completely different world then Saratoga which is completely different then Albany IMO. I personally love the north country and hope to be able to live there again one day
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1917 on: Jan 01, 2015, 01:23 PM »
I've always differed upstate and northern ny like this... north of Albany to me is upstate ny and I generally think of northern ny as Essex, Clinton, Franklin, St Lawrence and the northern parts of Hamilton, Lewis and Jefferson counties... but that's just my opinion

I have family and I lived in Elizabethtown and it's a completely different world then Saratoga which is completely different then Albany IMO. I personally love the north country and hope to be able to live there again one day

That's a decent definition.  ;)

Offline mcangus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1918 on: Jan 01, 2015, 02:31 PM »
2 pages of bs who cares about that talk fish or don't talk

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1919 on: Jan 01, 2015, 02:33 PM »
2 pages of bs who cares about that talk fish or don't talk

Says the guy with 11 posts in 3 years...
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.