New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373671 times)

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #1680 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:31 AM »

Ahh...Ya I see what you did there....LOL

I was gonna fish there too, but a tree fell in the road blocking my route.  Could you give me directions to go a different way?

sneaky sneaky
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1681 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:13 AM »
How much snow did you get up there?
I am Muskies Inc.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1682 on: Dec 10, 2014, 03:58 PM »
How much snow did you get up there?
Please rephrase that - "How much snow are you going to get up there?"  It's still coming down - through the night tonight, with snow showers all day tomorrow into Friday.  I'm right on the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg and I probably got about 4" on the level - lot of wind blown snow.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1683 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I got one small pike today 25", mid-morning. And my buddy and I got one walleye each at dark.

As for the snow, in Colton were getting pounded we've got probably 8" today, probably a foot total in some places. My ice started getting messy on top by mid afternoon

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1684 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Sry. I should have stated " how much at this point in time ". I hope it doesn't mess it up bad for you guys. Sounds like you have the best start so far.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1685 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:38 PM »
I'm crossing my fingers.. I've got 2 spots that will likely survive but they will be a mess.

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1686 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I think we are in trouble here , it's wet heavy snow , 6-8" out back of my house here and comming down hard still , damn it

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1687 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:21 PM »
we got close to 20 inches  would say, I got home last night at 11:30pm and nothing was plowed, must have had about 8 inches at this point. When I went to brush off my car there was 10" on my hood from say midnight through 1:00pm. We have since gotten another 4-6" and more on the way. This Sucks

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1688 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Im looking to come up that way the 18-21 so Im counting on you guys to put me on safe ice LOL... ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1689 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Im looking to come up that way the 18-21 so Im counting on you guys to put me on safe ice LOL... ;D

Dont waste your time.

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1690 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:11 PM »
exactly , the ice is not safe with all this snow on it , we got screwed with this snow !!! >:(

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1691 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:51 AM »
Well we got another few inches through the night. Another 8-11" expected today, and possibly another 8-11" tomorrow. We could have 3 feet when its all said and done. Bye bye ice!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1692 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:55 AM »
We are getting hit the hardest right here in Colton. Nat Grid says 800 homes in my town without power (the population is only 2k something.) parishville has 250 without power. I have power luckily.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1693 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:03 AM »
Sorry to hear about the conditions! Glad you still have power. We ended up with 8-10" overnight and supposed to get 1-2" today. People are going to be flocking to the first spot of good ice at this point.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1694 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:35 AM »
We ended up with about a foot here in Norwood. Real mealy stuff.  :%$#!: :%$#!:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1695 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Sucks! I'll probably go fish tomorrow at one of my spots. Its gonna be a mess though!!

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1696 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:40 PM »
jighead, with this snow being as heavy as it is there will most likely be nothing up here safe by the 18th looking at the forcast. Another week and you may be in luck.

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1697 on: Dec 12, 2014, 06:52 AM »
jighead, with this snow being as heavy as it is there will most likely be nothing up here safe by the 18th looking at the forcast. Another week and you may be in luck.

Thx rball...

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #1698 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Got 22" of wet heavy snow in Chateaugay. Not good

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1699 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Ended up with 12"-14" in our yard here in Norwood >:( Not good for the local ice.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #1700 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:03 PM »
You guys getting in the Winter Classic in addition to the other local tournaments? Stop in to Green Machine, Chapman's, Chaumont Hardware, or Blue Line Sports to register! We're pretty confident several of the larger pike will come from the northern region, and who knows what else!!  @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1701 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:37 PM »
you bet tim, I got just the spot for potential laker, pike, and perch placements. Got some real hogs of each from it last year and that was my first year fishing it. Cant wait to explore it more.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1702 on: Dec 13, 2014, 01:40 AM »
You guys getting in the Winter Classic in addition to the other local tournaments? Stop in to Green Machine, Chapman's, Chaumont Hardware, or Blue Line Sports to register! We're pretty confident several of the larger pike will come from the northern region, and who knows what else!!  @)

What caliber of a pike will win. 22-25lb??

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1703 on: Dec 13, 2014, 01:44 AM »

Dont be surprised to see a walleye come from up here. I am confident in my opinion that we grow the biggest walleyes in the state up here on the river, and the next state record will come from here

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #1704 on: Dec 13, 2014, 03:18 AM »
From what I have heard and pics, I bet the winning pike will be over 30 lbs. They have upper 20's in Cranberry Lake and Sacandaga Lake - Lou from Fuel & Food showed me a pic of one that was in the low 30's caught on Sacandaga. I've heard stories of monster pike in Big Tupper too, not to mention the St. Lawrence. So it will be very interesting to see where the largest one comes from! I wouldn't be surprised to see at least the top 5 all be over 20 lbs.  @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1705 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:10 AM »
There are quite a few lakes that will produce pike over 20#s. We are pretty fortunate for that in our state. We have one heck of a fishery. I'd say the winning northern can come from many places in central/ northern NY.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1706 on: Dec 13, 2014, 07:11 AM »
Also, with that said, I'm not a big fan of killing a big fish like that. Which will need to be done for top 3 places... :/
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline onebaddx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1707 on: Dec 13, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Can anyone confirm the 5-6"s of ice I've heard about from 3 sources on Fern Lake? Around plattsburgh we only have 1" or less so we are a few weeks away from good ice to take the little men out on.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1708 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:54 AM »
From what I have heard and pics, I bet the winning pike will be over 30 lbs. They have upper 20's in Cranberry Lake and Sacandaga Lake - Lou from Fuel & Food showed me a pic of one that was in the low 30's caught on Sacandaga. I've heard stories of monster pike in Big Tupper too, not to mention the St. Lawrence. So it will be very interesting to see where the largest one comes from! I wouldn't be surprised to see at least the top 5 all be over 20 lbs.  @)

I fish cranberry and the st Lawrence regularly they are my go to spots. Not as many giant pike swimming in cranberry as people make it seem. Definitely big ones. But you really have to work for them. Probably bigger in the Sac. The st Lawrence use to be great pike fishing but its going downhill in my opinion, I would be shocked to hear of a pike over 20-22lb from the st. Lawrence in my area.

With that being said I've got a 19+lb pike on the wall. I don't know if I could bring myself to kill a 20lb fish.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1709 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Do not be surprised to see a 14-16lb walleye come out of the st Lawrence, though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.