Author Topic: The Clam... Guide or Yukon  (Read 2662 times)

Offline zimmerDN

• IceShanty Rookie
The Clam... Guide or Yukon
« on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:41 PM »
If you can get them for the same price which would you get?  It will hand dragged out to the ice by two ppl but loaded onto a trailer by a single person. 

You only gain about 5" in width and 10" in height but it weights 30lbs more.  What gives?

Also would you buy a display model even after inspecting it carefully?

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Clam... Guide or Yukon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Buy the display, I would get the yukon, It can lay a power auger inside it,  It is worth the extra height as well. 

Where is the deal,?

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2008, 05:46 PM »
I would go for the guide.  I have had three ppl fishing semi-comfortably in my guide, putting bucket on the ice and using it as a seat.  I would buy a floor model, only after inspecting every square inch of material!  My guide was a floor model i was given a discount, and i thuroghly inspected the shanty.  The fish traps are pretty tough so i wouldnt expect to find it beat up too bad. 

Offline IcePirate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:40 PM »
All depends on where you fish also & how far you planned on going -this goes for both models - it'd be a b***h if you had to drag either one - if you had to go alone - even with help . I have a a scout and a pro - same sled & that doesn't drag that easy if traveling out a 1/4 mile or more -if I'm not using my sled or atv for transport - I built a rack that's about 18" off the ground to put my Traps in that is made out of 1/2" electrical conduit and the ski's are of 3/4' conduit . With all my gear inside it moves with very little effort - less drag . I've seen old timers with wooden boxes for god sakes pulling there gear with a similar unit above old crosscountry ski's - that's where I got the idea for what I made- it's like night and day  .  That would be something to think about with a big Trap - either one is a nice unit , I guess it's up to you and how much room you like - sounds like a good deal if you want to go real big ! ;D

C'mon fishy's , C'mon - South Shore Diehard since 66' - Vexilar , Clam corp., Ski-doo

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2008, 08:46 PM »
I was in the same situation as you.  I liked the Guide for the price and weight.  Ultimately I went with the Yukon.  Reason being the auger fits inside, if you do not load it up too much.  Secondly, the Yukon sits high off the ice, so my legs are more comfotable.  I hand pull mine every where.  Yeah it tough, but for me that helps me with my weight loss.  I usually go by myself or with my boys and I can load it in the back of a full size pickup fairly easily.  Having a trailer to put it one would make that a lot easier.  I have put three seats in it when I took my boys and it was not bad.  If it were three adults if would have been tight.  I would recommend the Yukon.  I would not want to have gone with the Guide having fished out of the Yukon for two years now.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:19 AM »
I a had a yukon compared the 2 had little more to offer first sits higher more room inside fishes 2 adults comfortably doesn't drag to bad I also put runners on it also you can stand up in it .enjoy!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:25 AM »
Go with the yucon display lot less set up that way  :tipup:

I have had the guide it's a good trap also but it's not as roomy
as the yukon.. ;D 
Hard Ice

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:37 AM »
AS you can see by the replys you need to decide which model best fits the way you fish.  Another very important consideration is how tall/old/flexible are you?  I have a guide, which I love,  but it gets a little tougher each year for me to crawl in and out of it.  Of course this is no issue if you don't bank snow on the flaps - but if you do and you are over 6 ft  - it can be a chore sometimes to get in and out of the (zippered) door.   This problem is compounded when there is snow on the ice and by the amount of stuff you keep on the ice surrounding your holes. If your stlye of fishing is not hampered by the extra weight, buy the Yukon - it is easier to stand up in and get in and out of.  All this being said,  I love my guide and since I move and drag my house alot,  I am willing to sacrifice the ease of entry and exit of the Yukon.  But if I was older and less flexible.....?

Offline scott14580

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:47 AM »
 I have had a guide for about 4 seasons now and love it. I took 1 seat out and have all the room in the world, w/ a power auger. No problem. :) If someone fishes w/ you then have him sit on a bucket inside the sled next to you. If the yukon is 30# more, I wouldn't drag it. In the snow the guide is enough as it is.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:50 AM »
They both are really good ice houses and im sure that you will like either one of them.  With that said...

I own a Yukon and my friend's dad owns a guide so i have fished out of each quite a bit.  True the guide weighs less which is nice when you are loading/unloading and pulling it through snow and it does cost less then the Yukon.  Beyond that, the Yukon has it beat in pretty much every other capacity IMO.  Im not a big guy by any means (5'11" 195 pounds) but having that extra height and width really does make a difference.  My back would get sore after fishing out of the Guide and sitting lower to the ground but i have never had a problem with my Yukon since it sits up higher.  

You can fish two guys out of either comfortably.  You can fish two guys, four holes, a lantern, and two flashers out of the Yukon comfortably.  You can fish two guys and a small kid out of a yukon fairly comfortably but i have a hard time thinking you can fish three adults out of a guide (comfortably).

I dont own a quad or snowmobile so i pull my icehouse by myself and it isnt that bad.  Get yourself some hyfax runners for the bottom of your sled to help it pull easier and not scuff the sled so bad and you will be all set.  So if i were you, i would get the Yukon.  

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I would go with the Yukon.  Also the floor model, you won't have to set it up.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:43 AM »
I own a Guide.  The nicest thing I see about the Yukon is the height, I can't stand up in my Guide.  The deeper sled would be nice in some cases as well.  But I don't know if the extra weight and cost is worth it. 

One thing that has confused me on this thread is talk of an auger not fitting in the Guide.  My 2hp fits fine.  I carry the auger, minnows, Vex, Camera, 6 tipups, tackle box, heater, lantern, scoopers, 2 Ready Rigs, and misc. all in my Guide.  Packed in tight but it is all there.  I started with the Clam runners but they make it very tough to pull.  I have since installed UHMW runners and it is a breeze to pull.  We don't see deep snow, just a few inches usually.  I pulled it well over a mile this last weekend and was fine.  Oh, make sure you get the travel cover too, they are worth it. 

Both are great shelters.  Pick which one works the best for you. 

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2008, 04:11 PM »
I own a Pro and a Voyager but I am looking to get a Yukon
I have been looking at them a lot and the Yukon seems to fit what i want more than the Guide
but it has to be what you need and want it for.  Go to the store and sit in it and think it through
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.