Author Topic: First Shanty Build - UPDATED!  (Read 8925 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: First Shanty Build - UPDATED!
« Reply #30 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:27 AM »
How are you planning on getting it out to the lake?? Weight is something that seems to balloon in these builds as I've followed them over the years! At least it will provide a lesson learned for the next shack, if there is one!!!  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:11 AM »
that's better built than my back yard shed! want to build me a new shed?

Offline miner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:31 AM »
nice job ;D
Wishin I was Fishin

Offline ZodiacWI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:20 PM »
How are you planning on getting it out to the lake?? Weight is something that seems to balloon in these builds as I've followed them over the years! At least it will provide a lesson learned for the next shack, if there is one!!!  ;)

Borrowed car hauler with winch.

The landing I'm taking it off is right where it will be stored for summer, so only has to be roaded once.

Once it's on the ground, it will have a hitch in it. I bought the hitch, but I'm waiting on the 4X6 runners to get here to install it all at once.

Offline ZodiacWI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:22 PM »
that's better built than my back yard shed! want to build me a new shed?

This may be the first and last shack I build. Too time consuming, too expensive.

Next time, I'll buy one that is finished.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Great lookin shack there.  Gotta be a Packer shack still waiting for the yellow trim right?  If I recall correctly from my HS days the Winneconne Wolves colors were grey and maroon...at least what I recall from the cheerleader's uniforms laying in a pile on the floor of my truck.  Lol.  Seriously though...it's a very nice shanty.  If you guys can move it I know you still get the ice to hold it.  Enjoy!

Offline ZodiacWI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Great lookin shack there.  Gotta be a Packer shack still waiting for the yellow trim right?  If I recall correctly from my HS days the Winneconne Wolves colors were grey and maroon...at least what I recall from the cheerleader's uniforms laying in a pile on the floor of my truck.  Lol.  Seriously though...it's a very nice shanty.  If you guys can move it I know you still get the ice to hold it.  Enjoy!

Yep maroon and grey, still is! They won actually came out of left field and won state last year too. That's about the extent I follow high school sports.

There will be no yellow trim on this though. I'm a Packer fan, but it's all going to be that color green, and galvanized. The roof is galvanized, and the corners I just picked up tonight are.

Offline GunManOsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:26 PM »
No updates Chad? 

Offline ZodiacWI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:06 PM »

Bunk frames. Partially.

Night exterior, LED flood lamps

Offline Fish the Rapala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Oh Jesus is it heavy.

It is at about 1500LBS without anything in it. Interior finished it will be around 2000 LBS give or take.

My original idea is not this. It got out of hand.

Originally I had a 2X4 floor with 4X4 runners. The walls were going to be 2X2, with some 1/8" sheeting, rigid foam, and I did not care if the inside had anything. My estimates were about 800LBS for that. Since the 2X4s and 2X2s were spaced PRETTY close together.

Then the idea went out of hand, and as soon as we had the floor and one wall assembled, I realized that the entire worry of weight went out the door.

So now, I'm not worried about anything even remotely close to weight.

We had the same initial idea to build it lite, that ballooned out of portion as well! Your not alone there. What depth are your benches? We can't decided how deep to build them.
No place I'd rather be, then on the ice fishing!

Offline GunManOsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 16, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Needs more updates!   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.